• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Jon vs Stipe, or Tom vs Curtis, which one is your #1 contender fight?

Ecker707

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Sup Sherbros, hope you're all feeling TST tonight. Im pretty much just a casual these days but I saw a post from JJ saying Tom v Curtis was a #1 contender fight. Personally I view Tom as the legit champ since Francis vacated since he beat a tougher opponent for his belt (imo). I dont think Jon will fight Tom after Stipe. Is Jon just being Jon? Am i triggered? Idk but I come to you guys to help me figure out if I'm delusional. Who do you guys feel is the better heavyweight in 2024?

Sup Sherbros, hope you're all feeling TST tonight. Im pretty much just a casual these days but I saw a post from JJ saying Tom v Curtis was a #1 contender fight. Personally I view Tom as the legit champ since Francis vacated since he beat a tougher opponent for his belt (imo). I dont think Jon will fight Tom after Stipe. Is Jon just being Jon? Am i triggered? Idk but I come to you guys to help me figure out if I'm delusional. Who do you guys feel is the better heavyweight in 2024?

How is Sergei Tougher than Gane ?

Like I said I'm pretty casual now, cereal is pretty much famous for losing to Jones and Fran. Sergei was supposed to win vs Tom iirc, thought he was the next big thing at HW

TS has the worst post/reaction ratio I've ever seen.
Funny you mention that🤣
I strive for 3 likes per what I hope are quality posts💜🩵💚
That being said, I have Blaydes being too fast for Aspinall, finishing by KO, stalling the great white hype (for now).
Jones vs Miocic is a meaningless legacy fight (mutual payday) and I'm more concerned with it being competitive than the actual outcome.

Tom is the legit champ because he is ready to fight anyone and he has beaten everyone put in front of him up to date.

Won more fights in a row then Gane prior to losing to Jones/Aspinall( 6 fight win streak vs no win streak). Beat mutual competition faster and more easily than Gane(Lewis, Tai).

saw a post from JJ saying Tom v Curtis was a #1 contender fight.

Pico should STFU about every HW since he has ALWAYS ducked them all.

Jon Jones- continue your life long avoidance of HW men, and please don't beat your woman bloody any more.

Last edited:
Won more fights in a row then Gane prior to losing to Jones/Aspinall( 6 fight win streak vs no win streak). Beat mutual competition faster and more easily than Gane(Lewis, Tai).

Also, Sergei's best win is Blaydes. Gane's best win is Volkov. So Sergei's best win beat the fuck out of Gane's best win.

There's no logical basis to rank Gane above Pavlovich.

Yet somehow Jones' single inferior top win makes him the number 1 HW over a guy with a better top win and an actual HW career.

This isn't a serious argument. Aspinall's interim belt is more serious than Jones' vacant belt.

You mean the same Sergei that got folded to an old Overeem is supposed to be better than Gane. Sergei has a grappling background but got outgrappled by an elderly Overeem. When he got taken down he just put his hands in front of his face and did nothing. I thought to myself were was Sergei's grappling in a fight where he was supposedly the better wrestler/grappler. So I question his wrestling pedigree and question his fight IQ.

He is not a tougher fight than Gane. Beating fighters faster by just swinging for the fences does not make you better.

Last edited:
Jon hates people and so has no problem with shitting on the entire fan base

You mean the same Sergei that got folded to an old Overeem is supposed to be better than Gane. Sergei has a grappling background but got outgrappled by an elderly Overeem. When he got taken down he just put his hands in front of his face and did nothing. I thought to myself were was Sergei's grappling in a fight where he was supposedly the better wrestler/grappler. So I question his wrestling pedigree and question his fight IQ.

He is not a tougher fight than Gane. Beating fighters faster by just swinging for the fences does not make you better.
That same Overeem would have folded Gane in Gane's UFC debut. He's always had great trips from the clinch and great GnP and ground game. The fact that you have to bring up Sergei's UFC debut 8 fights ago 6 years ago makes your argument weak as fuck. Especially since you can't debate any of the stuff I said about Sergei beating Lewis and Tai far more easily or Sergei's 6 fight KO streak being better than Gane's no winning strek when both last fought for a belt.

I've made this argument so many times on here to no avail. Sergei is a limited fighter and loses to anyone with a decent skill set who fights with their brain turned on. Like with Oldereem as you said, he really was not credited enough for that win. The reads he was making mid fight was very high level. Like early on he was able to read that Sergei was a heavy puncher and that he had dangerous power in his hands after eating a big shot. So Reem knew he could not trade with him and that he needed to neutralize his boxing doing so through the clinch. The first time Reem initated the clinch Sergei couldn't wait to get him away from him and pushed him off which told Reem that he likely is not very comfortable in the clinch as he did not opt to stay there. Then when Sergei backed Reem onto the cage, he had a very good opportunity to shoot but didn't. This told Reem that Sergei was not confident in his TD's and was worried he'd end up in the clinch again. So Reem pretty much knew how to beat him at that point, especially after taking him down and seeing he had no idea what to do there,

Then there was the only other guy to fight Sergei with his brain turned on, Tom. He knew to trade with him was stupid so he just had Sergei biting on feints and chasing him all night until he saw an opening and took it.

Gane would have made Sergei look silly. I also won't be surprised if Volk beats Sergei if he shows up with his brain turned on.

That same Overeem would have folded Gane in Gane's UFC debut. He's always had great trips from the clinch and great GnP and ground game. The fact that you have to bring up Sergei's UFC debut 8 fights ago 6 years ago makes your argument weak as fuck. Especially since you can't debate any of the stuff I said about Sergei beating Lewis and Tai far more easily or Sergei's 6 fight KO streak being better than Gane's no winning strek when both last fought for a belt.

No, Overeem would not have folded Gane. In Ganes first UFC debut he got a Submission (arm-triangle choke) on Raphel Padossa. Which showcases his ability to actually adapt his tactics and game plan in a fight. Sergei has never shown that he can adapt, he just swings and brawls. He is also a more cererbral fighter than Sergei. Sergei showed in the Overeem fight and the ones going forward that he is a limited fighter and always has been.

Gane has more submission and grappling wins than Sergei which is baffling. For someone with a wrestling background it is baffling to see him not even utilize his wrestling when things go wrong. On paper Sergei should be a tougher and more well rounded fighter than Gane with his Sambo background but his fights and record showcase a fighter who is much more limited than Gane.

Last edited:
No, Overeem would not have folded Gane. In Ganes first UFC debut he got a Submission (arm-triangle choke) on Raphel Padossa. Which showcases his ability to actually adapt his tactics and game plan in a fight. Sergei has never shown that he can adapt, he just swings and brawls. He is also a more cererbral fighter than Sergei. Sergei showed in the Overeem fight and the ones going forward that he is a limited fighter and always has been.

Gane has more submission and grappling wins than Sergei which is baffling. For someone with a wrestling background it is baffling to see him not even utilize his wrestling when things go wrong. On paper Sergei should be a tougher and more well rounded fighter than Gane with his Sambo background but his fights and record showcase a fighter who is much more limited than Gane.
Good for him, he submitted a can.

Back