Media Jon Jones ponders fighting Stipe Miocic, Tom Aspinall: "I am not changing my plans for anyone"

Training? Stipe has been retired. Jon is the one who was training for heavyweight for 3 years.
Stipe obviously isn't retired if he had a fight booked last November and will have a fight booked for this November. Is there a reason you think Jon who has been rehabbing an injured shoulder and also recovering from an elbow surgery has somehow been in the gym more than Stipe has?

Too many haters, I want to see the Stipe fight more than I do Jones vs Aspinall. But I get some of the cries as he is holding up the title. Those shitting on Stipe because of his age are fucking idiots.

Too many haters, I want to see the Stipe fight more than I do Jones vs Aspinall. But I get some of the cries as he is holding up the title. Those shitting on Stipe because of his age are fucking idiots.
It’s not just his age, dumbass. It’s also the fact that he hasn’t fought in 3 years, hasn’t won in 4 years, and is coming off of a violent KO.
Those that want the Stipe fight over Tom hug Jon’s nuts so tight he’s beginning to transition.

And he will fight Periera, who is a beast but also is much smaller than him with obvious huge grappling disadvantage.

He won't fight anyone he thinks can beat him, but to be fair he already went through that phase and beat everyone.
While on steroids and barely beat a handful of them.
You don’t get gimme matchups while carrying the undisputed championship. That tarnishes the belt and the sport.

Stipe obviously isn't retired if he had a fight booked last November and will have a fight booked for this November. Is there a reason you think Jon who has been rehabbing an injured shoulder and also recovering from an elbow surgery has somehow been in the gym more than Stipe has?

Stipe has spent the last 4 years not fighting. Jones fought a year ago and spent the previous 3 years training specifically for heavyweight.

Stipe has spent the last 4 years not fighting. Jones fought a year ago and spent the previous 3 years training specifically for heavyweight.
Stipe has fought one more time than Jon has in the past 4 years to be technical about it. Also, I think we could say Jon was eating cheeseburgers for 3 years in his build up to heavyweight. Maybe he's been training more overall, but he definitely hasn't been the last few months which is what is most relevant. Even if Stipe were fully retired, I doubt he has not been in the gym at all. It's pretty common for fighters who even after retirement still go to the gym often and train because it's what they've done for a large portion of their lives.

Stipe has fought one more time than Jon has in the past 4 years to be technical about it.
Lol ok bud, if you count exactly 4 years ago. That's meaningless.

Also, I think we could say Jon was eating cheeseburgers for 3 years in his build up to heavyweight.
He was in the gym training. It was all over his Instagram.

Maybe he's been training more overall, but he definitely hasn't been the last few months which is what is most relevant.

If the fight is in November he'll have had 7 months in the gym. He's been more active than Stipe and is 5 years younger.

Lol ok bud, if you count exactly 4 years ago. That's meaningless.

He was in the gym training. It was all over his Instagram.

If the fight is in November he'll have had 7 months in the gym. He's been more active than Stipe and is 5 years younger.
I love how you're citing one whole fight 14 months ago as some shining example of Jon's activity being so much better than Stipe's since before Covid. Jon is 5 years younger, but are you really going to sit here and say Stipe's age is some sort of death sentence for his chances? It's HW, not BW.

I've asked others, so I'll ask you now, on a number between 0 and 100 percent where would you place Stipe's chance at winning this fight?

He just expressed interest fighting Poatan a few days ago, just admit you know Aspinall is too good and you're afraid of taking that risk lmao

Jon's arguments don't make any sense.

• He mentions disregarding the Stipe training. -Not to take anybody lightly but if you need a full training camp for a guy that hasn't fought in 3 years, is coming off a loss and is in his 40's something is not right here.
  • Hype train that won't be around in 3 years. -That's weird considering he has only fought once in 3 years and Tom has been in the UFC for 3 years.
  • He says he's allowed to get hurt once. -He's right but here's the thing Jon's already been sitting out for an extended amount of time. So when you get hurt you get placed right back in the thick of the division.
  • Jon says it is selflish for Tom to sit and wait when him and Stipe have already agreed to fight-Oh you mean selfish like when Jon refused to fight Sonnen on short notice at UFC 151 because Henderson got hurt. Jon's logic. Just say you want an easier fight and a nice pay day and you don't want to go through fights like Gustaffson 1 or Reyes again.

Makes sense to get a full camp in if you've just torn a pec muscle.

Your other points are good though.

Shouldn't be for UFC hw title is the point
Ok now that I don't disagree with. I wouldn't care if they stripped Jones and it was just some legacy type fight for some made up bullshit belt.

Everyone knows though Dana is going to Dana and not give one single iota of a fuck what anyone cares about so I've came to terms with that. I'm not discussing how we got here or the why's or how's but rather the fight itself. Stipe isn't a can or anything and it should be good anyway.

Reactions: HHJ
Lol at "might not be around in 3 years", as opposed to Stipe who will definitely still be around in 3 years?

<JagsKiddingMe>

Stipe had a good career, but his longest win streak was 6 fights and he's lost 4 times and been KO'd in 3 of them. He's not like some mythical fighter that everyone thinks is unbeatable. And what the hell is "all that Stipe training"? Dude just said like 10 days ago was his first time back in the gym in over half a year.

"All of the Stipe training..." Wasn't this fool injured and not doing shit until a couple of weeks ago?

Always love these ego-stroking tweets by Jon haha.

Love how he says about Aspinall: "and fight another potential hype train that may not even be around in three years."

Fucking lol.

Back