Jon Jones breaks down why he is ahead of Khabib in the GOAT conversation

Fair enough, but in all fairness: olympic medals don't translate 100% to MMA. I agree that Cormier is amongst the best wrestlers in MMA ever, but so are St-Pierre and Khabib, who have no olympic medal at all.
I generally agree with what you've said, but while Jones has outwrestled DC, he was also arguably on the most stuff during this time of his career. He has not been as dominant as of lately and has not managed to outwrestle Thiago Santos (who's not exactly known as an anti-wrestler either).

Khabib edges it in terms of wrestling for me. He hasn't got the height, nor the reach, nor the striking advantage against most of the guys he faces, yet outwrestles them all and comes out almost unscathed from his fights.

I don't think Jones' would've outwrestled his opponents nearly as much if it wasn't for his striking advantage and arguably the PED's he took.

PEDs aside, i agree that Jones is further in the GOAT discussion than Khabib, 100%.
But with the exception of Tibau, who was in the eyes of most juiced to the gills and one of, if not the biggest lightweight ever, who has Khabib not outwrestled convincingly?

Other than Tibau who has Khabib faced that is actually a decent wreslter?

The answer to that in the UFC is no one.

Jones on the other hand outwrestled Cormier twice, Bader, Sonnen, Evans, Hamil and O'Brien, all of them had a strong wrestling background.

Khabib may or may not be a better wrestler than Jones but he certainly hasn't faced the caliber of wrestlers that Jones has

Honestly it's just time and being in right place at the right time for Jon.

If Khabib changes his mind and sticks around until he's 35 then he could build a build an undisputable resume. His main issue is gonna be finding former champions to fight. Most of the former LW champs are at the end if their careers and no longer options. But with time Khabib could build a case for himself
Jones got to fight past their primes unathletic champs. Khabib doesn't need that. What would Khabib gain from say fighting pettis lol
Let's leave that for JJ and fedor :D

Khabib just has to beat Tony + conrat/gaethje and he is the GOAT in my book.

Khabib Bless

Other than Tibau who has Khabib faced that is actually a decent wreslter?

The answer to that in the UFC is no one.

Jones on the other hand outwrestled Cormier twice, Bader, Sonnen, Evans, Hamil and O'Brien, all of them had a strong wrestling background.

Khabib may or may not be a better wrestler than Jones but he certainly hasn't faced the caliber of wrestlers that Jones has
Fair point.

...by the time I leave this sport I don’t think there’s gonna be much of an argument."

Reducing his answer to ONLY this would probably earn him more respect. It shows confidence without arrogance or the need to put down others.

If you assume that each and every fighter in the UFC is on something, then Jones is definitely in front of Khabib.

But it's not the fact that so many people rate Jones' as the greatest which makes him so good.

After all, many people think Cristiano Ronaldo is the best footballer in the world, and that's not the case.

Messi or Ronaldo
Jon Jones or Khabib

Messi or Ronaldo
Jon Jones or Khabib
If one assumes that PED's don't give much of an advantage or that everyone is on them, then Jones is still in front of Khabib.

In football (soccer) Messi is for me quite a bit in front of Ronaldo.

Just on resume Jon out GOATS Khabib, but Khabib is well on his way, then again timing is everything although the lw's are deep with talent they're no real big names dominating the lw division like the days of old where Khabib can say that's real feather in my cap, finally facing Tony may just be that feather.

Whipping Conor is just whipping Conor's name no real prestige there because Conor was never that great just blessed to have the bosses at his back and a red carpet to walk on...

"goats" don't have to state their own case. i don't ever remembering fedor stating why he's the goat.

GSP or Fedor is where its at. Jones is drug cheat and out of GOAT talk and Khabib has along way to go for GOAT status. I will judge him when he hangs up the gloves.

Just the asterix. Other than that .. there is no argument.
The problem is it’s a rather big argument. When that asterisk is the use of Performance Enhancers and your career is being judged on your performance it raises a lot of questions.

Khabib needs ti defend the belt 5 other times and win before he's in the same convo as jones

Khabib only has RDA and Conor as top 5 fighters. Jones has to fight ex-MWs because the division is cleared.

"goats" don't have to state their own case. i don't ever remembering fedor stating why he's the goat.

Fedor has never said he's the GOAT. I don't think he even cares if someone says he is. I think when people mentions it to him he just brushes it off.

IMO if Khabib whoops Tony in a one-sided way, he starts entering that discussion, obviously with still a very lacking resume compared to the GOATS of the sport.

If Khabib loses against Tony, this discussion has been a joke.

Theres a big difference between fighitng in the weakest division and the strongest division. Fighting a top 20 LW is the equivalent of fighting a top 5 LHW.

Timestamped:

"If you were to ask some MMA experts about myself and Khabib, I think most people would be able to tell our resumes are completely different. I’ve fought so many world champions under my belt that I’ve defeated. Khabib, a lot of his victories are against a lot of people that are relatively unknown, I’ve been fighting legends since I was a young man in my early 20s.”

“His stand-up game is really not much to write home about. I really don’t want to insult my fellow martial artists. I don’t want to insult these guys. I’m happy for everyone. Like I said, some guys are more popular, some guys make more money. It’s always gonna be kind of an opinion thing, but by the time I leave this sport I don’t think there’s gonna be much of an argument."

<JonesLaugh>

by some of jon's comments, I see this fight being another boring display...Jon made the comment of how boxing isn't his main thing...that he's a kicker. this is telling me that he plans on doing the same "throw some leg kicks, front kicks to the knee and move. being as boring as ever..just like against santos....just like fedor, gone are the days he took guys down and submitted them or used ground and pound...this fight is going to be another bore fest...with jon barely throwing anything.

on a side note, in the video of jon hitting the pads, his punches looked slow and sloppy...his boxing is really going down hill for some reason. not sure why...which is probably why he didn't throw any punches against santos.

Khabib is not even close to being in the discussion.

All this tells me is Jones is looking past Reyes, cliche saying but Jones is not winning this fight more than 7 out 10 times given the way he fought Santos. He fought Santos like he knew he was winning when the fight was close to an outside observer the whole time. Reyes may has questionable cardio over 3 rounds but Jones is likely to fight at a pace Reyes can handle for 5 while retaining his power longer than he should. You have to give Reyes at least a 10% chance at the decision and given the fight is at LHW, you have to give Reyes at least a 10% chance at the KO. The nature of MMA, including WMMA, itself means anyone can be finished on any given night. Reyes chances have to be higher than that, hes a bigger opponent for Jones with power in his hands and feet. Reyes can wrestle and hes a good striker that can kick. Jones is not the same fighter he was and I'm not just talking about steroid allegations(I consider him convicted), hes content, hes already broken his nut so to speak, his hunger is not the same.

On topic though, Khabib is the more skilled fighter. Khabib has more depth and density to his striking and his BJJ. I doubt Jones ever develops power in his hands but Khabib has it and it could get stronger. Jones looked to be a better wrestler than Cormier and thats a huge feather in his cap but it wasnt natural. I know that sounds like a big compliment to Jones, as if to say this guy isnt human. It was mostly strength, Jones was abnormally strong for a guy of his build facing a guy of Cormiers build. Maybe its natural but I dont think so, I still cant say Khabib is the better wrestler though and reasonably defend that.

Last edited:
Back