Media Jon Jones believes Khabib Nurmagomedov fought NOBODIES: A sherdog Investigation

Your stance has merit overall with popularity skewing resumes but I think Horiguchi was rushed vs Demetrious. Horiguchi improved tenfold since then, though he did suffer a major setback recently.

The defense vs Page wasn't just impressive because of his past standing it was in the midst of Jones great 2011. Jones shut out Page and submitted him which was the least competitive fight Page had in years. He also came into great shape for that fight.

As for Iaquinta(props to stepping up on short notice) and Barboza they've historically been gatekeepers. That label isn't a pejorative, they've just been repeatedlyly derailed by the truly elite and other surging fighters. Poirier's proven to be an elite at LW and stands as a great feather in Khabib's cap.

I do agree that Horiguchi improved quite a bit, but I do think he was already at that point an amazing fighter, with very solid wins. I could have just as easily said Benavidez, though.

Last edited:
I do agree that Horiguchi improved quite a bit, but I do think he was already at that point an amazing fighter, with very solid wins. I could have just as easily said Benavidez, though.

Horiguchi's striking was still very dangerous back then assuredly.

Joe B. is indeed a great example. His longevity for a lighter fighter in MMA is amazing and the only reason he hasn't been champ yet is that he was roadblocked by the best fighters to fight at FlyW, BW.

I do believe DJ's resume doesn't quite get the respect it deserves. As for the over arching issue, I do think Khabib needs more top wins before he has a claim to top 5. His situation is unique with his activity post UFC arrival albeit while dominant. The bigger issue is he's had a rival simultaneously carve out his own end of a deep division. The Tony fight will do alot to solidify his legacy if Khabib wins.

LW isn't a weak division where old legends can hang around at the top of the division, so it's understandable that Khabib hasn't faced many "legends". The turnover rate at LW is much faster than it is at LHW because it's the deeper competition, hence not as many old legends hanging around at the top of LW for Khabib to fight.

There's plenty of guys in that division that Khabib could have fought if he wasn't shelved for so long.

Rashad, Machida, DC, Vitor, Gustafsson were all in their prime when Jones smashed them.

That is a lot better than Barboza, MJ, RDA, McGregor and Dustin.

Do you remember when Khabib went into liver failure trying to cut weight? This guy does insane cuts to avoid fighting at his natural weight class, welterweight, where conor has fought 3 x without cutting weight. Khabib's walk around weight has been documented over 200+ and he does water cuts from 185. Its actually insane how much bigger he is than his opponents (outside of Tibau who arguably won the fight)

Yeah right, he is just dwarfing his opponents. His failure of weight cuts have nothing to do with his size, two of these guys fought at FW. He hasn't had an issue cutting weight since he addressed the root of his problems. Khabib being a huge LW is a fabricated load of rubbish.

maxresdefault.jpg

Screen_Shot_2018_09_20_at_6.16.39_PM.0.png

khabib-nurmagomedov-al-iaquinta-ufc-223-ceremonial-weigh-ins.jpg

031_pat_healy_and_khabib_nurmagomedov_gallery_post.0.jpg

Last edited:
Didn't read the thread so my response is to the title only: Let's ask Michael Johnson how he feels.

There's plenty of guys in that division that Khabib could have fought if he wasn't shelved for so long.

Rashad, Machida, DC, Vitor, Gustafsson were all in their prime when Jones smashed them.

That is a lot better than Barboza, MJ, RDA, McGregor and Dustin.

Who are all these old legends at Lw you wanted khabib to fight? BJ Penn? Pettis? And Alvarez?

He beats the guys who beat those old legends.

Even if you really are unimpressed with Khabib's competition,(lol at u,hater) he was absolutley NOT protected. They had no reason to protect Khabib. Its not like they wanted him to come in and take Conor's belt. Being hampered by injuries came into play,but really he had a career like anyone else would. He could have been a champion 2 yrs before he was if Conor had ever defended the 155 lb title,and only fighting the #1 contenders since then.

Who are all these old legends at Lw you wanted khabib to fight? BJ Penn? Pettis? And Alvarez?

He beats the guys who beat those old legends.

Prime Cerrone(who he was scheduled to fight 3x), Benson Henderson, Anthony Pettis post RDA, Tony Ferguson, Eddie Alvarez.

I'm a Khabib fan but he was shelved for a long time, a lot of top contenders came and went before Khabib returned to the division.

I'm not saying Khabib's resume' overall is comparable to Jones. Hell, I've posted more times than I can count here about the terrible competition Khabib fought prior to entering the UFC.

I was only answering the claim that he hasn't fought good competition. That's just not true anymore.

Yes, I still have Jones' resume' FAR above Khabib's. I didn't even think that needed to be said. I guess there are people who argue that Khabib's resume' is at that level? It's not.
Jones has beat a ton of great fighters plus he beat the USADA, he beat a couple of DUI’s, he beat a couple of child support raps and he also beat several women...Jones has beat far more than Khabib.

Yeah right, he is just dwarfing his opponents. His failure of weight cuts have nothing to do with his size. Two of these guys fought at FW...Khabib being over 200lb. He hasn't had an issue cutting weight since he addressed the root of his problems. Khabib being a huge LW is a fabricated load of rubbish.

maxresdefault.jpg

Screen_Shot_2018_09_20_at_6.16.39_PM.0.png

khabib-nurmagomedov-al-iaquinta-ufc-223-ceremonial-weigh-ins.jpg

031_pat_healy_and_khabib_nurmagomedov_gallery_post.0.jpg
HES LIKE TREE TIMES THEIR SIZE OMFG

Prime Cerrone(who he was scheduled to fight 3x), Benson Henderson, Anthony Pettis post RDA, Tony Ferguson, Eddie Alvarez.

I'm a Khabib fan but he was shelved for a long time, a lot of top contenders came and went before Khabib returned to the division.

Prime Cerrone, the guy that lost to RDA one fight before khabib beat RDA?

Pettis post RDA? why? Post RDA Pettis lost to poirier, the guy khabib just beat. Alvarez, a guy that ducked khabib and lost to Conor and Dustin, two guys khabib just beat.....

Those guys have name value, but khabib is clearly beating better competition than those names.

Khabib's UFC run is legit. Most of his fights in Russia were meh. 4 of them were really solid.

Prime Cerrone the guy that lost to RDA one fight before khabib beat RDA?

Pettis post RDA? why? Post RDA Pettis lost to poirier, the guy khabib just beat. Alvarez, a guy that ducked khabib and lost to Conor and Dustin, two guys khabib just beat.....

Those guys have name value, but khabib is clearly beating better competition than the names you're dropping

Maybe, but MMAth doesn't work.

For example prime Benson Henderson and Eddie Alvarez are both tough matchups for Khabib.

There is no guarantee that Khabib would have ran through all those guys I mentioned, especially considering he wasn't nearly as good back then as he is now.

Anyway, that's beside the point.

Surely you must agree that Machida, DC 2x, prime Rashad, Gustafsson 2x, Glover and TRT Vitor are a lot more impressive than Barboza, MJ, McGregor, Dustin and Iaquinta.

It's not even clear that Khabib is the best LW in his division at this point. If Tony takes that belt, it proves that Khabib never even was the best.

Before his UFC run, yes. He has fought stiff competition since joining the UFC, though his pre-UFC days have inflated his record greatly. Tony could have also beaten his pre-UFC opponents and have a similar record.

I will give Khabib this, he is consistent and has not had an off day where an injury impact him like Tony vs. Michael Johnson.

Khabib is still unproven, while Jones has cleared out his division over the span of a decade. Khabib won his title defeating a real estate agent on short notice and defended his fake belt against two former 145 pound strikers.

Tony and Conor 2.0 will expose him.

Maybe, but MMAth doesn't work.

For example prime Benson Henderson and Eddie Alvarez are both tough matchups for Khabib.

There is no guarantee that Khabib would have ran through all those guys I mentioned, especially considering he wasn't nearly as good back then as he is now.

Anyway, that's beside the point.

Surely you must agree that Machida, DC 2x, prime Rashad, Gustafsson 2x, Glover and TRT Vitor are a lot more impressive than Barboza, MJ, McGregor, Dustin and Iaquinta.

It's not even clear that Khabib is the best LW in his division at this point. If Tony takes that belt, it proves that Khabib never even was the best.

On paper Jones resume is better right now, but because of the sheer amount of defenses he has, not because he's consistently facing better competition.

Khabib is still unproven, while Jones has cleared out his division over the span of a decade. Khabib won his title defeating a real estate agent on short notice and defended his fake belt against two former 145 pound strikers.

Tony and Conor 2.0 will expose him.

Umm, he defended his belt against the lineal champion you dummy, so saying he got his belt against a real estate agent is a stupid, moot point.

On paper Jones resume is better right now, but because of the sheer amount of defenses he has, not because he's consistently facing better competition.

Khabib has had 3 title fights, Jon has had like 12 I believe. Which means he was consistently fighting the #1 contender ever since he got the belt almost 10 years ago.

There really is no comparison in between their resumes, and I like Khabib a lot more than I like Jones.

Back