Media Jon Jones believes Khabib Nurmagomedov fought NOBODIES: A sherdog Investigation

The way he talks about MMA with such confidence despite being so ignorant, makes me not take him seriously in absolutely anything he says.

He should stay in his lane because talking about something confidently while saying absolute nonsense ruins your credibility in everything you do.

Amen.

Just because guys like Vitor and Shogun are household names which go back to the Pride era, and which bred far stronger personalities within smaller division pools, it doesn't mean they are better fighters than guys like Al Ianquinta, Poirier or Barboza. If anything, there are good reasons to think Jones fought a lot of household names past their primes.

It's a common misconception that fame equals ability. Which is why people think Jones beating Rampage is more impressive than Demetrius beating Horiguchi.

Your stance has merit overall with popularity skewing resumes but I think Horiguchi was rushed vs Demetrious. Horiguchi improved tenfold since then, though he did suffer a major setback recently.

The defense vs Page wasn't just impressive because of his past standing it was in the midst of Jones great 2011. Jones shut out Page and submitted him which was the least competitive fight Page had in years. He also came into great shape for that fight.

As for Iaquinta(props to stepping up on short notice) and Barboza they've historically been gatekeepers. That label isn't a pejorative, they've just been repeatedlyly derailed by the truly elite and other surging fighters. Poirier's proven to be an elite at LW and stands as a great feather in Khabib's cap.

I wouldn't say he's fought nobodies. He's fought Conor, RDA, Edson, Poirier, Iaquinta and he's fighting Tony, all top fighters. The rest though aren't really top comp. But you can't expect him to fight top guys right off the bat in the UFC. He was building his way up. So half the guys he's fought in the UFC are top 5-10.

He's just starting his title reign and has two defenses moving to three. Jon has been champ since 2011 so of course Jon has a much more impressive resume of names.

Jones is getting triggered with the GOAT shit, but in terms of quality he fought more names. but khabib is getting there WITHOUT dick pills and coke.

That's 4 out of 28 buddy.

Compare that to Jones resume and it's laughable. Jones has taken out at least 10 legends.

Machida, Shogun, Bonnar, Bader, Rampage, Vitor, Rashad, DC 2x, Gustaffson 2x, Glover, OSP...

Khabib's resume looks like a joke compared to that.

LW isn't a weak division where old legends can hang around at the top of the division, so it's understandable that Khabib hasn't faced many "legends". The turnover rate at LW is much faster than it is at LHW because it's the deeper competition, hence not as many old legends hanging around at the top of LW for Khabib to fight.

Last edited:
I agree with Jones. Khabib's resume is pretty thin and lacks some truly scary opponents like those Jones finished.

I don't watch much boxing so I didn't know him before, but the way he talks about MMA with such confidence despite being so ignorant, makes me not take him seriously in absolutely anything he says.

He should stay in his lane because talking about something confidently while saying absolute nonsense ruins your credibility in everything you do.

He REALLY knows boxing but for some reason ESPN has decided it needs him and Stephen A Smith to be chiming in on MMA. And they just don't know anything about the sport. It's not a good look.

Both guys are smart and COULD be brought along to the point where they'd be real assets to ESPN's MMA coverage. But just forcing them in there when they are clearly out of their depth is stupid.

Not a Khabib fan at all but no...just...no. RDA, Barboza, Conor (even though he's somewhat unproven above 145 it's still a good win), Dustin.

Khabib has fought very good competition, especially lately. Jones is just wrong.

Can't believe I'm defending Jones here, but what Jones means of Khabib's 28 fights the opponents you named are the only ones anyone can name off the top of their heads without looking up Khabib's record, most of which are nobodies in Russia.

Meanwhile Jones has been fighting the Top LHWs for nearly a decade, many who are former champions, and every other top #1 contender.

Can't believe I'm defending Jones here, but what Jones means of Khabib's 28 fights the opponents you named are the only ones anyone can name off the top of their heads without looking up Khabib's record, most of which are nobodies in Russia.

Meanwhile Jones has been fighting the Top LHWs for nearly a decade, many who are former champions, and every other top #1 contender.

Right, I already clarified. I was just going off TS' thread title. I wasn't comparing Jones' resume' to Khabib's. Jones is clearly well ahead.

I'm just saying that even though Khabib fought cans in Russia for a long time, you can't say he isn't fighting top competition now. For the last few years he's beating the best guys at 155, and he'll be fighting the other Alpha of the division in a couple months. The winner of that starts looking like the LW GOAT imo.

Rashad, glover, rampage, chael and shogun were never complete, technical fighters even in their physical prime. Cormier is very good the best natural LHW ever possibly best HW, but i’d say dustin is a more technical fighter. LW is such s better division, seriously no name cans are actually better skills wise than top 5 LHW’s and HW’s.

You can't seriously speak of Dustin in the same breath as cormier. Cormier lost yo the lhw champ and hw champ in jis entire career! He's an underrated all time great. Dustin is just a good foghter. Ok grappling and. Good striking.. It's about effectiveness not how pretty it looks

As far asthose other guys not being complete.. Where were their holes?

Ko power? Yes wrestling? Yes sub defense? Yes good or great chins? Yes cardio? Yes

Jones and Khabib are the two fighters I av mixed feelings about the most. But anything JJ does overrules anything Habib does because man beats manlet and Dagi is just a 'let. Obviously.

You can't seriously speak of Dustin in the same breath as cormier. Cormier lost yo the lhw champ and hw champ in jis entire career! He's an underrated all time great. Dustin is just a good foghter. Ok grappling and. Good striking.. It's about effectiveness not how pretty it looks

As far asthose other guys not being complete.. Where were their holes?

Ko power? Yes wrestling? Yes sub defense? Yes good or great chins? Yes cardio? Yes
Yes dustin outstruck holloway handily the guy has far better striking than dc and prety decent wrestling and bjj.

the other guys were on every roid in the book and had power and cardio obviously but they were brawlers with little fight iq and lackluster skills standup wise.

Yes dustin outstruck holloway handily the guy has far better striking than dc and prety decent wrestling and bjj.

the other guys were on every roid in the book and had power and cardio obviously but they were brawlers with little fight iq and lackluster skills standup wise.

Dustins been koed more by lesser fighters in a division where kos are far less common

Those are simply facts
Bigfoot
Henderson
Barnett
Nelson
Mir
Stipe
Rumble
Gus
Volkan

All those guys have dynamite

Its about hitting your opponent more and more efficiently while not getting hit.

Amd btw Dustin isnt worldclass in any individual department of mma

Jack of all trades master of none

Jones has a far better resume, but Khabib has been far more dominant. I don't see any LW giving Khabib any trouble. Khabib never had the luxury on relying on size / reach as well. Overall Jones has still had the far better career and it's not really a debate.
Do you remember when Khabib went into liver failure trying to cut weight? This guy does insane cuts to avoid fighting at his natural weight class, welterweight, where conor has fought 3 x without cutting weight. Khabib's walk around weight has been documented over 200+ and he does water cuts from 185. Its actually insane how much bigger he is than his opponents (outside of Tibau who arguably won the fight)

"Kawhi is better under pressure than Kobe Bryant"- Max Kellerman

Khabib is far more of a role-model and a man than Jones will probably ever be. Jones has a weak mind and huge ego. Psychopath is gonna psychopath.

I don’t think Shogun was past his prime he had just had 2 amazing fights against Machida and machida was a killer at that time.

I dunno if you look at GSP or Silva or Fedor they left a wake of “past their prime” fighters in their win column. I think great fighters end up ending or stalling very good fighters on their path.

It’s not just that he beat guys like Shogun, Machida and even Bader.. it’s that he clowned them.

I don't think you can say with a straight face that the Shogun that competed against Machida was the same caliber fighter than the guy who fought Rogerio, Rampage and Arona. Look at his leg movement, knees, and kicks. It's a different fighter altogether. His knees were shot.

He did fight several prime fighters as well, like Teixeira, DC and Gustaffson, but Shogun was not one of them.

Back