Joe Rogan says weight-cutting is cheating

He actually had some pretty reasonable thoughts in there. Cheating isn't the right word to use I don't think, but he made good points about the dangers of weight cutting and possible ways to put a stop to some of the crazier cuts (like weight limits 6, 4 and 2 weeks out from the fight and so on).

I agree the use of the word "cheating" makes it sound stupid because it's completely within the rules, but other than that he has some good points.

BTW- how much is a gram of weed these days down in California where Joe lives?

S'been a hell of a while since I let the evil weed fry my remaining brain cells.

I try to keep those I have left so I can translate what Chuck Liddell says into regular English.

May the Evil Weed make you raid yo Moma's fridge..

Hahaha funny And u capitalized Evil Weed lol

I always thought fighter like John Lineker or Anthony Johnson made weight cutting unfair, I'm surprise it took Joe 10 years to find it out

In my opinion (which doesn't matter of course) is that it's the same as putting your hand on the mat to prevent a knee to the head. It's not really cheating its just playing the system to your advantage.

well said.

Joe just falls in love with the words that come out of his mouth if he likes the way they sound.

Weight cutting is definately a loophole that is bad for the sport. It makes for worse fights when fighters are fatigued from the weight cut. It also makes for unfair fights where the real weight difference of the fighters might be much bigger than what the weigh-in suggests.
Weight cutting needs to stop. I'm glad Rogan is bringing it up.

What they should have is TWO weigh-ins. One the day before the fight, like now and the second one just before the fighters step into the cage.
If a fighter weighs more then a certain number of punds over the weight class limit, he should be penalised. For example get points deducted or even be ineligible to win on a decision if the fight goes the distance.

The weigh in theday before should make the fightermake 5 pounds less than the weight class andthe next day make the weight limit.

I've always thought the same thing... Not necessarily cheating, but what use is it that a fighter weighs in 30 hours before a fight, and then weighs 20-25 pounds heavier when they fight?

It's kinda bizarre a new 145 champion weighs over 170 pounds when they strap the belt across his waist.

It has gotten out of hand. It's no problem if a guy cuts a few lbs, just cause it's difficult to weigh the exact amount so some guys might be a little under or a little over but if your fight weight is over the limit of the next weight class up then you're obviously just using it to get an advantage. Have them weigh in the day of and if a guy misses, give his opponent half his purse.

Cheating? Hardly, its not against the rules. Stupid argument.

Unfair advantage? Hardly, any opponent is also free to cut the same amount of weight or more if they choose. Stupid argument.

It has gotten out of hand. It's no problem if a guy cuts a few lbs, just cause it's difficult to weigh the exact amount so some guys might be a little under or a little over but if your fight weight is over the limit of the next weight class up then you're obviously just using it to get an advantage. Have them weigh in the day of and if a guy misses, give his opponent half his purse.

I don't believe his opponent is given half his purse, they're just fined by the state's athletic commission.

Joe-Rogan-2.jpg

Joe Rogan Believes That Cutting Weight For Fights Is Cheating:

http://www.bjpenn.com/joe-rogan-believes-that-cutting-weight-for-fights-is-cheating/

Rogan's latest pseudo-scientific screed. Is there ANYONE one here that actually agrees?

Yes, I agree. Way to remove the 3 paragraphs of context before he says it.

How do you know what a fighters walking weight is? You're aware most people's "natural walking weight" varies, right?

It's impossible to regulate or ban weight cutting. Are you going to tell a fighter they can't ride a bike/run/swim or do anything because they might lose weight? Do you just ban a certain methods of cutting weight? How do you enforce that?

This whole thread is ridiculous and so is the notion that cutting weight is cheating.

No, it isn't impossible.

I don't like purse cuts. Just seems sneaky from the promotions side.
Point deduction is better imo. It's against the opponent you try to create an advantage if you put on alot of weight before the fight, so a point deduction would work to disable that advantage.

Only way to make people take things seriously is by taking their money.

The weigh in theday before should make the fightermake 5 pounds less than the weight class andthe next day make the weight limit.

What? No, that is just stupid.

Cheating? Hardly, its not against the rules. Stupid argument.

Unfair advantage? Hardly, any opponent is also free to cut the same amount of weight or more if they choose. Stupid argument.

The rules are not absolute, use your brain.

Sure that'll work or give the opponent the purse cut percentage. Maybe it's been discussed before, but I still don't know why they don't do right before fight weigh ins. Just have a scale that they step on before entering the octagon.

I agree. It's an easy fix for big problem in the sport. Some hypothetical drawbacks with it, but I think it would have a big positive impact overall.

who gives a fuck if you can make the weight, then you can make the weight, hell sometimes it backfires on fighters with their stamina, hell it didnt stop Frank Edgar who can probably cut to bantamweight KO Maynrd, who supposedly walks around at 185, at the end of the day if the fighter can make it without tking illegal substnces, then it shouldnt matter

If they have the second weigh in just before the fighters enter the cage, there would not be an advantage to cutting weight for it. The whole idea of cutting weight is to be able regain the weight before the fight, so you fight heavier than the weight limit.
I don't think that fighters would prefer to be dehydrated for an mma fight. Then it would be better to not cut weight at all.

There would still be an advantage to cutting some weight because you would be at the maximum weight for the weight class you are in instead of on the lower end for the one above. Of course they wouldn't cut nearly as much. But they already would have cut the higher number for the previous weigh in since they could put on 10 lbs or whatever the limit was.

Last edited:
I've seen weight cuts that have given fighters unfair advantages. An unfair advantage could be considered a form of cheating. It's a fine line.

I would love all fights to be based strictly on fighting skill but unfortunately the rules don't allow it.

Yea, it's another thing that came in when Blatnick helped to create wrestler rules for MMA.
It was totally unnecessary, but we ended up with weigh-ins a day before, just like they've been doing since they were 10 years old.

Most elite camps have solid programs in place though, to assist fighters who aren't from a weight cutting background.

I have to say I don't like it, when you get fights like Koscheck vs Yoshida, or Tibau vs Uno.
Hopefully that kind of stuff won't happen in the future, but those fights weren't that long ago. It was basically a guy with a ridiculous size/strength advantage vs a smaller/weaker guy, and had nothing to do with MMA skill vs MMA skill.

who gives a fuck if you can make the weight, then you can make the weight, hell sometimes it backfires on fighters with their stamina, hell it didnt stop Frank Edgar who can probably cut to bantamweight KO Maynrd, who supposedly walks around at 185, at the end of the day if the fighter can make it without tking illegal substnces, then it shouldnt matter

If you like seeing good fights, maby it should matter to you.
If a fighter gets an advantage by cutting alot of weight, so that he is much heavier than his opponent in the fight, that forces practically everybody who wants to be competetive to cut weight also. But by cutting weight you sacrifice some strenght, stamina etc. That means that if fighters didn't have to cut weight we'd likely see more exciting fights.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back