Joe Rogan says weight-cutting is cheating

Personally I've always saw it as another part of the game. Theres strategy involved in making the cut but just my opinion. Now if you fail to make weight proper repercussions should follow

gleisontibau_antoniopezao_instagram.jpg

It's not cheating if both guys have equal opportunity to do it.

Its not cheating but undermines the sport and fighters should be above that.

I miss the days where the mentality was to fight above your weight but instead we have fighters that cut 10lb-50lb to fight below their natural weight.

It isn't cheating.

if you weigh 10+ pounds more at fight time you lose 1/2 your money

Not cheating now but it arose out of cheating.

That and it's stupid.

It's not cheating because it's not against any rules but I agree with his general sentiment. I would like it if they had to step on a scale before entering the cage.

I read the whole thing and I really cant disagree with anything he said.

BTW- how much is a gram of weed these days down in California where Joe lives?

S'been a hell of a while since I let the evil weed fry my remaining brain cells.

I try to keep those I have left so I can translate what Chuck Liddell says into regular English.

May the Evil Weed make you raid yo Moma's fridge...

C'mon man rogans baked out of his mind who cares what he says

Weight cutting is definately a loophole that is bad for the sport. It makes for worse fights when fighters are fatigued from the weight cut. It also makes for unfair fights where the real weight difference of the fighters might be much bigger than what the weigh-in suggests.
Weight cutting needs to stop. I'm glad Rogan is bringing it up.

What they should have is TWO weigh-ins. One the day before the fight, like now and the second one just before the fighters step into the cage.
If a fighter weighs more then a certain number of punds over the weight class limit, he should be penalised. For example get points deducted or even be ineligible to win on a decision if the fight goes the distance.

When everyone does it, the advantages are basically removed. Yet everyone suffers the disadvantages. Its just that those who are 'good' at it will maximise and minimise this.

Ultimately if you like the idea of weight cutting it means that you see it as a 'skill' and a skill required for combat sports.

IMO it seems like a dumb skill for a fighter to have to master, and pointless overall (excluding fighters who are good at it) since everyone does it, so you're just putting unnecessary extra stress on fighters right before their fight when they should really be at their peak performance.

I imagine that same day weigh ins would result in more entertaining fights for us fans. Gassing should be less common, skill would play a bigger role than before.

I believe Joe says this because just like with everything else, there are people that can cut way more weight than others. It cant be trained, u can improve it but theres always a limit. So it clearly is unfair, besides fights would be hella better without making em go to hell for the week of the fight and the day before.

Joe Rogan is a man who believes he knows everything with the worst arguments or cogent thoughts possible.

Its a skill like anything else, if you cut badly or too much you're hurt by it, its not an exact science and if it were heavy guys would rule every division, which we don't really see.

Weight cutting is definately a loophole that is bad for the sport. It makes for worse fights when fighters are fatigued from the weight cut. It also makes for unfair fights where the real weight difference of the fighters might be much bigger than what the weigh-in suggests.
Weight cutting needs to stop. I'm glad Rogan is bringing it up.

What they should have is TWO weigh-ins. One the day before the fight, like now and the second one just before the fighters step into the cage.
If a fighter weighs more then a certain number of punds over the weight class limit, he should be penalised. For example get points deducted or even be ineligible to win on a decision if the fight goes the distance.

They would still be cutting weight for the second weigh in, though not as much, meaning they are actually doing more weight cutting, and essentially the first weigh in would be redundant.

Back