Joe Rogan says weight-cutting is cheating

Joe Rogan is a man who believes he knows everything with the worst arguments or cogent thoughts possible.

Its a skill like anything else, if you cut badly or too much you're hurt by it, its not an exact science and if it were heavy guys would rule every division, which we don't really see.

I wish there was a way around weight cutting but I accept that there is not. In a perfect world, though, there would be no weight cutting. I want to watch people that are skilled at fighting, not weight cutting.

don't see anything wrong with it, if fighting bigger guys is an issue then drop a weight class

Youd be afool if you dudnt agree

You obviously never competed

They would still be cutting weight for the second weigh in, though not as much, meaning they are actually doing more weight cutting, and essentially the first weigh in would be redundant.

If they have the second weigh in just before the fighters enter the cage, there would not be an advantage to cutting weight for it. The whole idea of cutting weight is to be able regain the weight before the fight, so you fight heavier than the weight limit.
I don't think that fighters would prefer to be dehydrated for an mma fight. Then it would be better to not cut weight at all.

I don't agree with fighters being allowed to weigh 1 lb over the "weight limit". Makes zero sense.

I'd rather have on the day weigh-ins or have a weigh-in on the day to show how much the fighters weigh during the fight, like some boxing orgs do.

The solution: Heightclasses.

Just make it their natural walking weight? I would like it that people fought others their same size. But I guess, GSP walks at 190, but so does henderson. But Hendo is naturally that weight while GSP isn't. So GSP would lay off the weights and focus on fight, skill,

So walking around at natural weight would cause people not to focus on weights. Maybe like push ups or lift to stay the same weight. I like this idea, maybe, weigh them in at the start of the 3 month training, then, right before the fight so their isn't a huge weight difference. Like that allot, people wouldn't look as built perhaps, or they would just be cut over being buff.

The only ones who would have to suffer are the people who are big for their weight class because they couldn't use their size. I think we would see better fights this way. I also like how people wouldn't have to be gassed all the time, like AJ or others. It would be nice that one would not have to worry about weight cutting....IM FOR IT.

I just read it again cuz it was such a great read. I don't see how you can really argue with what hes saying hes right on the money. That's one of the reasons guys like Frankie Edgar at LW and Machida at LHW were so impressive to me. Not only did they not cut weight and still win against the bigger guys, but they became champions. That's way more impressive than a guy like Anthony Johnson KO-ing welterweights when he was damn near 200lbs on fight night

Last edited:
Just make it their natural walking weight? I would like it that people fought others their same size. But I guess, GSP walks at 190, but so does henderson. But Hendo is naturally that weight while GSP isn't. So GSP would lay off the weights and focus on fight, skill,

People still think GSP was a crazy weight cutter?

That was so 2009

It creates an unfair advantage in most divisions. Guys are relying on their size advantage more so than there actual skills. Same day weigh-ins make the most sense, but obviously athletic commissions are too lazy to implement smart rules.

Everyone in the lower division outside of 2 or 3 fighters cut weight. There s no fighter at LHW outside of possibly Hendo who does not cut weight.

You cant cheat if everyone is cutting weight.

So walking around at natural weight would cause people not to focus on weights. Maybe like push ups or lift to stay the same weight. I like this idea, maybe, weigh them in at the start of the 3 month training, then, right before the fight so their isn't a huge weight difference. Like that allot, people wouldn't look as built perhaps, or they would just be cut over being buff.

The only ones who would have to suffer are the people who are big for their weight class because they couldn't use their size. I think we would see better fights this way. I also like how people wouldn't have to be gassed all the time, like AJ or others. It would be nice that one would not have to worry about weight cutting....IM FOR IT.

How do you know what a fighters walking weight is? You're aware most people's "natural walking weight" varies, right?

It's impossible to regulate or ban weight cutting. Are you going to tell a fighter they can't ride a bike/run/swim or do anything because they might lose weight? Do you just ban a certain methods of cutting weight? How do you enforce that?

This whole thread is ridiculous and so is the notion that cutting weight is cheating.

I don't agree with fighters being allowed to weigh 1 lb over the "weight limit". Makes zero sense.

That is just a margin of error. It can be hard to get a scale calibrated correctly and if there is a difference between the fighter's scale that he uses while cutting weight and the scale at the weigh-in, they have some room for that.

I agree with Joe. Those who don't are just morons.

Totally agree with Rogan and I think they should do in-camp random weigh-ins and hydration tests come fight night.

It's pretty ridiculous to have a fight at 205 and then the guys go in there at 230+. That's not a fight at 205 is it?

I'm kinda surprised that Rogan of all people would have a problem with it.

It's impossible to regulate or ban weight cutting.
Not at all. Have a second weigh-in just before the fighters enter the cage.
If a fighter weighs more than a certain number of pounds over the weight class limit he is penalised, for example points deducted.

How do you know what a fighters walking weight is? You're aware most people's "natural walking weight" varies, right?

It's impossible to regulate or ban weight cutting. Are you going to tell a fighter they can't ride a bike/run/swim or do anything because they might lose weight? Do you just ban a certain methods of cutting weight? How do you enforce that?

This whole thread is ridiculous and so is the notion that cutting weight is cheating.

Weight cutting (Fat) is obviously perfectly fine. The only way they can regulate water cutting & make sure people fight at their weigh in weight is to use technology & do hydration/fluid level tests. Without water weight cutting the entire MMA landscape would change considerably.

Why can't they just do weigh ins right before the fighters step into the octagon and fight? Fighters would lose a certain percentage of their purse for every pound they're over.

Why can't they just do weigh ins right before the fighters step into the octagon and fight? Fighters would lose a certain percentage of their purse for every pound they're over.

I don't like purse cuts. Just seems sneaky from the promotions side.
Point deduction is better imo. It's against the opponent you try to create an advantage if you put on alot of weight before the fight, so a point deduction would work to disable that advantage.

I don't like purse cuts. Just seems sneaky from the promotions side.
Point deduction is better imo. It's against the opponent you try to create an advantage if you put on alot of weight before the fight, so a point deduction would work to disable that advantage.

Sure that'll work or give the opponent the purse cut percentage. Maybe it's been discussed before, but I still don't know why they don't do right before fight weigh ins. Just have a scale that they step on before entering the octagon.

Back