Joe Rogan says weight-cutting is cheating

It essentially goes against the spirit of having weight classes that says same weight makes for a fairer fighter. Even stupider is most fighters do it so they put their body through grueling cuts to fight the same guys they would be fighting if they were not also weight cutting. And for the guys that don't have to cut hardly any weight, yeah they end up fighting guys 20-25 pounds heavier than them on fight day.

Weigh the fighters the same day and check to see if they are dehydrated. Problem solved.

It isn't cheating because they're meeting the rules.

Is it cheap, lame and unhealthy? Yes.

I don't believe his opponent is given half his purse, they're just fined by the state's athletic commission.
I have heard after a few fights a fighter had to forfeit 1/3rd of his purse to the other fighter. Whether that's just the show money or also a potential win bonus I'm not sure. Cummings said something to DC like he was gonna have to forfeit part of his pay to him for not making weight and DC said Cummings can dream because it would still be more money than he has ever seen but its not gonna happen because he was gonna make weight easy. I think they even said 50%. It may depend on how each fight contract is written up though.

Cheating? Hardly, its not against the rules. Stupid argument.

Unfair advantage? Hardly, any opponent is also free to cut the same amount of weight or more if they choose. Stupid argument.

I think you've missed the entire point of this thread.

It's not cheating but it's hard to respect a guy that harms his body to avoid competing against guys his size.

I'd say 2 weigh ins should do it. One the day before the fight like always, and a second weigh in before they step into the octagon. If they weigh more than 10 pounds over the weight limit then they lose half their purse, but it doesn't effect other things like if it's a title fight or not.

I hate weight cutting and it's why I didn't want to wrestle in college even though that my shit growing up, fuck that when it reaches that level, I can't imagine the cuts they put themselves through in the pro scene. I wish it wasn't a part of grappling/combat sports... they should weigh in a few hours before the card. There is no way to eliminate cutting entirely because it's not cheating as it doesn't break any rules, but knowing you have 2-3 hours to re-hydrate instead of a day will severely limit the cutting you can do.

I'd say 2 weigh ins should do it. One the day before the fight like always, and a second weigh in before they step into the octagon. If they weigh more than 10 pounds over the weight limit then they lose half their purse, but it doesn't effect other things like if it's a title fight or not.

Weight cutting is part of the sport whether people like it or not same with wrestling, boxing or any other sport with weight classes. You will never be able to stop it. if they do what you say it would just be more dangerous people will still cut weight but instead of rehydrating after weigh Ins they will keep their weight low still just to make the next weigh in and end up fighting dehydrated and not at 100%

He also believes in aliens and thinks he can predict the future.

It is. You're lying about your weight. You're not that weight. You don't fight at that weight. You're simply touching that weight briefly. But we've accepted it as a society and sport and I dislike it. Why do I dislike it? Because I see people I consider friends destroying their bodies (even if they're at a great gym, it's dangerous)

hYFL2jJ.jpg

Sp0mRF7.jpg

If you ever take a college course that touches at all upon philosophy of law, you'll probably learn about the difference between the letter of the law(the literal interpretation of how the law is written) and the spirit of the law(the intended effect of the law). When someone finds a way to defy the spirit of the law while remaining within the bounds of the letter of the law, it is commonly referred to as "finding a loophole" or "cheating the system."

There isn't an easy solution to the situation. The best system they can do is their current system. Day before weigh ins. That's it.

Rogan doesn't understand weight cutting and how the whole thing works.

I kinda feel the same way. There are some guys who I know are big for their weight class that don't bother me too much like Aldo, but guys like Rumble, I can never be a fan of. You have a heavyweight who cut down to 170 to get some easy KOs. He didn't win because of his skill. Had he been tearing it up at 205, then I wouldn't care, but that cut is as close to cheating the game as it can get with weight cuts so I will never like Johnson.

While it not cheating, it's playing the game. Same as camping in CoD. It's not cheating, but come on. A few seconds, ok. A minute straight of aiming down a hallway? Fuck you.

If everyone agreed not to cut weight, everything would be cool but for some reason even though you had smaller guys taking on big guys in the early days of MMA, it was fine and you were a major badass. Today, some fighters get mad if their opponent weighs 2lbs over. WHICH by the way is in it's own right in certain instances, completely pointless to worry about. You might weight more than that guy after rehydrating anyway. Any fighter who bitches about 2 pounds shouldn't be a fighter.

I think it's starting to ruin the sport

Guys the size of Lombard shouldn't be able to fight at WW, he beat Shields b/c of size not skill

He dwarfed him

Gah! It's almost physically painful to agree with anything Rogan has to say but yeah, I agree with him. Probably gonna get horrible bloaty gas after typing this but he's on the right track.

And Jon Jones is the classic example. He is a straight up HW.

What would be a good limit to cap weight cuts? 10 - 15 pounds?

What would be a good limit to cap weight cuts? 10 - 15 pounds?

% of bodymass is usually best to go by. Because 10lbs to a BW is very different than 10lbs of a HW. 10% is a pretty proper marker in my opinion for a few reasons. And by that I mean 10% MAX of where you are before you start into an actual camp. Not just working out casually and being healthy, but actually grinding for the purpose of preparing to fight. So let's say "weekend warrior weight" vs "fight camp weight"

But even that is hard to say is universal. There are differing bodytypes etc... it's hard to make a hard-fast rule.

It's definitely an issue. Some may not understand this very basic concept, but the whole point of having weight classes is that you don't have to fight a guy 30 pounds bigger than you.

It's definitely an issue. Some may not understand this very basic concept, but the whole point of having weight classes is that you don't have to fight a guy 30 pounds bigger than you.

The weird part is so many guys are teh same walking weight.... and yet force each other to cut down vastly. Then if someone gets sick or just can't handle the cut for one reason or another: "He's unprofessional."

It's always confused me. Just fight at your walking weight if you're near the same weight. You can cut if you want, have fun rebounding.

Back