Izzy Fans reaction to his loss is ODD and WEIRD

MarleyLynx

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
I'm unsure if any other fighter has fighter has had their fans cope in such a way. As a disclaimer, I highly respect Izzy's talents and what he's done in the sport but as i've frequented social media after his match with DDP i'm seeing two things repeated by nearly all of his fans that I can't describe as anything else but odd.

1) Poatan will come down to MW and avenge Izzy.
Has there ever been another fighter where fans sought out a fighter from another division to come down and beat a fighter just because he beat one of their favorites? For example, Volk was well loved but nobody was calling for Islam to drop down to beat Topuria. Nor did they call for Khabib to drop down to avenge Max. This is strange to vocalize the need for another fighter to come in to defend someone you're a fan of.

2) Izzy was dominating and winning, up on the rounds prior to the finish.
This is another strange one to me. 2 of 3 judges had DDP up 2 rounds to 1. He finished in the fourth, which would mean that DDP won 3 of the 4 rounds. If we're being understanding you could say round 1 went to Izzy so Izzy may have been up 2-1 prior to the finish making the rounds 2-2. I've never seen fans of a fighter clinging on and saying "But he won one round!" before. It's another strange cope that I think is unique to Saturdays bout.

Am I looking into this too much are are Izzy fans simply not taking the loss well?

Last edited:
All 3 judges had DDP up 2 rounds to 1.
No they didn't.

081724-dricus-du-plessis-israel-adesanya-official-scorecards.jpg

I stand corrected. 2 of 3 judges had DDP winning 2 rounds to 1. Regardless, I stated we could be understanding and give Izzy 2 rounds which would still make it 2-2 on the rounds seeing as he lost the fourth, being finished there. It's a very odd cope.
It's an argument I've found myself making a few times before too. For some reason, the "winning until loss" argument (which I think is a valid conversation under some circumstances) that people hang on too always seems to ignore the winning sequence entirely as part of the fight.

I think it can really only be an argument for a counter to things like "Izzy is done at the highest level" or "Here comes the Woodley-esque fall." In  those cases, I'd probably also throw this out there in how competitive the fight was kept until the end

To me? The thing I find weirdest is the argument of how nice and humble he is after a loss. His behavior to me is still childlike, just one who is on the verge of total shutdown. Anyone with a kid knows that's what usually comes after a tantrum. He says things that are clearly a complete 180 from. Before and he still peppers a petty comment in when he can.

It's an argument I've found myself making a few times before too. For some reason, the "winning until loss" argument (which I think is a valid conversation under some circumstances) that people hang on too always seems to ignore the winning sequence entirely as part of the fight.

I think it can really only be an argument for a counter to things like "Izzy is done at the highest level" or "Here comes the Woodley-esque fall." In  those cases, I'd probably also throw this out there in how competitive the fight was kept until the end

To me? The thing I find weirdest is the argument of how nice and humble he is after a loss. His behavior to me is still childlike, just one who is on the verge of total shutdown. Anyone with a kid knows that's what usually comes after a tantrum. He says things that are clearly a complete 180 from. Before and he still peppers a petty comment in when he can.

Yeah... I'm glad he chose the high road but I can't help thinking if he won he would've boasted and talked harder than ever.

It is cope but i don't agree with singling out izzy fans as being super odd.

Any high level fighter, long term champ when they start suffering losses their fans usually cope.

There was so much cope with silva vs weidman, some will still insist silva was better and weidman got lucky. There's been a lot of cope with BJ Penn, including by me. Connor fans cope all the time.

I think it's odd to single out izzy fans like this is some kind of never seen before behavior. This is normal.

I feel like most Izzy fans like myself know he's old for the sport and he's lost enough times recently to not think he's impossible to beat. I haven't heard too much delusional cope. It did look like Izzy was starting to go back to cruise control and take over the later rounds.

DDP put a stop to it, that finish is undeniable. Had it gone to decision and both guys took the last 2 rounds in a split, then there would be a huge discussion and conversation over either result. It was a close fight.

I'm unsure if any other fighter has fighter has had their fans cope in such a way. As a disclaimer, I highly respect Izzy's talents and what he's done in the sport but as i've frequented social media after his match with DDP i'm seeing two things repeated by nearly all of his fans that I can't describe as anything else but odd.

1) Poatan will come down to MW and avenge Izzy.
Has there ever been another fighter where fans sought out a fighter from another division to come down and beat a fighter just because he beat one of their favorites? For example, Volk was well loved but nobody was calling for Islam to drop down to beat Topuria. Nor did they call for Khabib to drop down to avenge Max. This is strange to vocalize the need for another fighter to come in to defend someone you're a fan of.

Haven't seen any izzy fans say this. Are you sure you aren't mixing up izzy fans and ddp haters?
2) Izzy was dominating and winning, up on the rounds prior to the finish.
This is another strange one to me. 2 of 3 judges had DDP up 2 rounds to 1. He finished in the fourth, which would mean that DDP won 3 of the 4 rounds. If we're being understanding you could say round 1 went to Izzy so Izzy may have been up 2-1 prior to the finish making the rounds 2-2. I've never seen fans of a fighter clinging on and saying "But he won one round!" before. It's another strange cope that I think is unique to Saturdays bout.

? Go look at the comments on when izzy got his one win against Alex. It's a extremely normal thing.

Plus the people saying it think izzy had won more than one round...
Am I looking into this too much are are Izzy fans simply not taking the loss well?

Looking to much into it mate

another strange cope that I think is unique to Saturdays bout.

there is nothing unique about the response to this fight imo

Back