• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Islam Makhachev vs Shavkat Rakhmonov (hypothetical fight speculation)

People are writing islam off cause of his performance against poirier, but are they forgetting how Shavkath performed against Geoff Neal?
That head movement by Shavkat was worrisome. He just kept it in the center, but maybe he was just getting caught before he could react due to Neal being such a great boxer.

A Makh with a small weight cut would probably perform much better, but we will have to see.

That head movement by Shavkat was worrisome. He just kept it in the center, but maybe he was just getting caught before he could react due to Neal being such a great boxer.

A Makh with a small weight cut would probably perform much better, but we will have to see.
Geoff Neal can crack, and he repeatedly hit Shavkat clean on the chin, although Shavkat was hurt once or twice he never went down. I don't think Islam would have the power to KO him.

Geoff Neal can crack, and he repeatedly hit Shavkat clean on the chin, although Shavkat was hurt once or twice he never went down. I don't think Islam would have the power to KO him.
Not necessarily KO him, but you rock a guy enough times and he forgets how to defend subs.

Also, if Islam can comfortably hit Shavkat over several rounds, that will slow down Shavkat.

Not saying Islam is gonna win for sure, but people saying he doesn't have a chance are wrong.

Not necessarily KO him, but you rock a guy enough times and he forgets how to defend subs.

Also, if Islam can comfortably hit Shavkat over several rounds, that will slow down Shavkat.

Not saying Islam is gonna win for sure, but people saying he doesn't have a chance are wrong.
The X factor is Islam will be a lot stronger and have a better gas tank at 170, so his ground game may be more devastating and he might actually be able to take Shavkat down. You never know.

Shavkat finishes him IMO.

Size matters. Islam is elite and well equipped to win more 155 defenses and maybe beat some WWs but he is not invincible, he gets hit, he gets tired, he is human.

He has now struggled with two 35 year olds who fought at 145. And his strength advantage is a big part of his game.
My thoughts on the fight. There is a reason that all of Dagestan cuts to 155 or lower. Islam is a great fighter, but even against Dustin he was busted up and tired by the end. I think Shavkat grinds him out over 5 and eventually finishes him.

Let's say Islam goes to WW and faces Shavkat Rakhmonov. Whether it's his first fight before the title fight (which would be unlikely as Islam would likely fight for the title) or let's say Rakhmonov has the belt already.

Who do you think wins?

I think it'd be a very good fight, one of the best. I think Rakhmonov would defeat Islam though before even going to decision.
I've been wondering the same thing. You actually beat me to it. lol

He performed great against Geoff Neal, what u talkin bout Willis lol
Man he almost got knocked out by one of the most one-dimensional guys In his division.

What makes that 3 rounds of Shavkath vs Neal a good performance, but those 5 rounds of islam vs poirier dont?

Well, Dustin is an awesome boxer too. Wich makes the comparission even more accurate.

Shavkat beats Islam in hypothetical match, then Neal beats Islam, as does Garry, and by the time he fights MVP, he is so worn out by the bigger boys, he retires.

I didn't like his performance against Geoff Neal, let's see him against a top contender first, cuz from what I've seen Islam is a cleaner striker, and wouldn't get submitted like Neal did.

exactly what i was thinking.. i dont even think Shavkat beats Leon, to be honest... Shavkat has terrible head movement in the striking game... Leon will TEE off on him... islam probably walks around at like 190, everyone saying shavkat KOs him, or is to strong for him i feel you are

IMO, Shavkat is not quite "proven."
Yet.

Lot of hype.
I would def watch that fight.

This belong in the Sanko Fantasy Fights

NINTCHDBPICT000753672644.jpg

Laura Sanko has a place in absolutely any thread on here

P4P Islam is more skilled but Shavkat is skilled "enough" while having a big size edge. Shav is 1 of the bigger WWs, 6ft2 with a 7" reach advantage (77" vs 70"), excellent striker, very good grappler

lol life and death. Poirier had one round if that . He survived.

Feel the same way. Just because it was a bit competitive and Islam couldn't finish Dustin quickly it's like he had a super hard fight.

He had a hard time getting Dustin out of there but during no time was he ever in danger in that fight.

Shavkat finishes Islam in round 4 or 5.

I feel like Shavkat is the real baddest man on the planet across all combat sports. His only equivalent in boxing is the LHW Champion Artur Beterbiev.

Noaya Inoue is a pretty bad man.

Reactions: Ruv
Would Islam vs Shavkat be the best combine record for a high profile match?

Shavkat is a wild man. If his ground game is as good as its being presented as, I could see Shavkat overwhelming Islam in the stand-up.

1717379678666.png

Back