Media Islam Makhachev unimpressed with Leon Edwards: "We have to change the champion"

That's not what I took away from Leon vs Coby.
What were your take aways. I thought both guys were ineffective due to the other person's defense/skillset. Leon obviously won but both fighters didn't look very good. Colby looked out of his prime and a mid level fighter. Leon looked like he coasted and sat on him in the 5th instead of trying to finish the fight and get a stoppage.

Islam and Leon have trained together. For legacy reasons I don't think Islam challenges for 170 if he doesn't know he can dominate him.

Words have meaning my Shermano. Do you know what DEFEND means?
haha I mean the reason he's there is because he actually beat 155-ers to get there. Like a whoooole lot of them in succession.
Yet people try to denigrate what he's accomplished with this "he won't fight 155-ers" utter bullshit.

haha I mean the reason he's there is because he actually beat 155-ers to get there. Like a whoooole lot of them in succession.
Yet people try to denigrate what he's accomplished with this "he won't fight 155-ers" utter bullshit.
Not he won't fight 155ers. He won't defend his belt against 155ers.

He begged for Volk to be his 1st defense so he could be p4p #1. Then he picked Volk again on a week's notice when Gamrot was ready to fight him on a full camp. Then since he beat a featherweight back to back he's been asking to fight for the 170 belt.

Not he won't fight 155ers. He won't defend his belt against 155ers.

He begged for Volk to be his 1st defense so he could be p4p #1.
You can't be any more disingenuous and wrong.
The UFC had already declared Volk as the next fight up for whoever won between Islam and Charles, and Volk himself was very overt about his intentions to move up and fight the champ. Volk was even there as the back-up fighter, and was even promoting himself as the next man up.

Volkanovski added that the amount of “hype” surrounding fighters like Oliveira and Makhachev is only “win-win” for him.

“People are hyping them up, people are talking about them, they’re big fights and I want a piece of that,” he said.

"Of course, there is still also a chance that Volkanovski could fight either Oliveira or Makhachev, confirmed as the back-up for this Sunday’s main event."

Come on, now.

You can't be any more disingenuous and wrong.
The UFC had already declared Volk as the next fight up for whoever won between Islam and Charles, and Volk himself was very overt about his intentions to move up and fight the champ. Volk was even there as the back-up fighter, and was even promoting himself as the next man up.

Volkanovski added that the amount of “hype” surrounding fighters like Oliveira and Makhachev is only “win-win” for him.

“People are hyping them up, people are talking about them, they’re big fights and I want a piece of that,” he said.

"Of course, there is still also a chance that Volkanovski could fight either Oliveira or Makhachev, confirmed as the back-up for this Sunday’s main event."

Come on, now.
What has Volk being backup fighter got to do with it? Islam called him out in the cage and begged Dana to let him fight for the p4p spot.

Islam should just focus on title defenses, the LW title has only been defended like 4 or 5 times? He could easily set a new record.

What has Volk being backup fighter got to do with it? Islam called him out in the cage and begged Dana to let him fight for the p4p spot.
Did you not read what I just posted? If anything, it was Volk himself who was far too eager to fight for the 155 belt, and the UFC facilitated it.

To say that Islam was "begging" to fight Volk is flat-out wrong. The other guy was doing the begging, weighing in as the backup fighter whilst openly stating he'll fight the winner, which the UFC confirmed.

Enough with the fabrication already.

I would rather watch Islam fight Leon than belal.

Someone also needs to record belals reaction if that actually happens <45>

What were your take aways. I thought both guys were ineffective due to the other person's defense/skillset. Leon obviously won but both fighters didn't look very good. Colby looked out of his prime and a mid level fighter. Leon looked like he coasted and sat on him in the 5th instead of trying to finish the fight and get a stoppage.

Islam and Leon have trained together. For legacy reasons I don't think Islam challenges for 170 if he doesn't know he can dominate him.
Footwork handled poor striking and one-dimensional grappling.

Leon looked fine- don't blame him because Coby froze up. He went for takedowns and finishes, landed really hard strikes, and interrupted Coby in nearly every exchange.

Coby looked like shit. Leon looked like he was cruising handily against an overrated but tough opponent.

The treatment of Leon is starting to get weird.

What did he do to these people?

Back