Islam Makhachev or Jon Jones - Who should be P4P #1?

Who should be P4P #1?

• Total voters
Jeff, you dirty motherfucker. You done changed up the rules on me. And.... you're making sense.

Excuse me while I shake a fist at
Jeff, you dirty motherfucker. You done changed up the rules on me. And.... you're making sense.

Excuse me while I shake a fist at the sky and scream some unintelligible, saliva-projecting threats through clenched teeth.

You're making some fair points - GOAT vs P4P. Damn, Sherdog is getting all technical, eh? I def have to give some weight to Jon has had 2 mins of fight time in the last 3 years - that actually makes a ton of sense.

Fine! Fine! Convince me, fine! Yes, I'm convinced.... fine! Good points.

Jon is such a total outlier.

Generally speaking a guy who has won SÌXTEEN consecutive title fights. 16.

If I am not mistaken I believe that is more title fight wins than all the current champs combined.

Quick math in my head the men have 10 title defense between all of them.

LHW is vancant and HW is Jones.

So 6 champs, each won the title 10+6=16

Edit: Jon has as many title wins as all the male champs combined.

So yes, of course it sound ridiculous to say that guy isn't #1.

But also not many guys are still winning title fights after a notable decline, eleventeen years into a UFC career.

Weren't the Santos and Reyes fights around 4 years ago? I think it is fair to say Prime Bones would have wiped the floor with those guys in 2 rounds or less. Jon finished young/prime fighting age Shogun, Machida and Rampage back to back to back.

So let's say Jon is 60% of full Jon Jones capacity. I think that's fair. He is way slower. But he is STILL WINNING.

-----
Meanwhile Islam is at his absolute prime, peak athletic ability, and after establishing untouchable wrestling, now he is dropping elite fighters and knocking them out.

That headkick was gorgeous.

____

Jones' headkick vs DC was gorgeous.
But I bet it was atleast 4 years ago.

If Jon headkicks Stipe, then maybe I am wrong

Islam P4P by a mile.

That said, P4P is a silly topic to help promote smaller fighters. In the real world where it counts, Jones is at the top.

Jon already has as many top 5 victories as Islam's had in his entire 13 year career just from this year alone.

If he beats Stipe in 2 weeks he'll have double the amount of Islam just from 2023.
Lol I shouldn’t even bother with this p4p debate but yeah, it has always been based on recent achievements.

Jones was away for 3 years. He came back and won only a single fight. I don’t believe that warrants an immediate jump to the number 1 spot

it’s debatable though so there ya go

Sugar Ray Robinson is the best P4P fighter ever. That was even a title of his when he was fighting. Great at WW and MW.

Now Jones is injured and it will be until end of next year he will have a fight again, please give the #1 to Islam

Sugar Ray Robinson is the best P4P fighter ever. That was even a title of his when he was fighting. Great at WW and MW.
If I recall correctly I think he is the fighter for which that phrase initially entered into fight culture.

He was ridiculous.
129-1 or something like that at one point

Then one that fought more than once in the last three years

Neither! P4P is about skill, not about being a massive weight cutter or having insanely long arms that you use to skewer your opponents eyes.

DJ, Fedor, Anderson - All better than Jones and Makhachev ever was and will be. Don’t buy into revisionist hype jobs. UFC wants you to believe their current crop is the best there ever has been, and then they’ll do it again with the next guys.

Lmao Makhachev winning the vote.
Ya'll CANNOT be serious.

Shows how people vote for whom they like the most and how they don't (or can't) look at things objectively.

Crazy.

Lmao Makhachev winning the vote.
Ya'll CANNOT be serious.

Shows how people vote for whom they like the most and how they don't (or can't) look at things objectively.

Crazy.
Perhaps because many people view the pound-for-pound rankings as recent achievement rankings? If you're going to factor in old top 5 wins, then why isn't Cejudo still in the PFP rankings?

Why are so many Jones fans so incredibly dumb?

A fighter naturally 205 fighting up 60 pounds or a 200 pound guy cutting 155 to fight a 145er. Seems easy to me

"naturally 205" but somehow had every physical and pharmaceutical advantage over his opponents nearly half of which were middleweights, yeah right

<JonesLaugh>

Makachev. No question about it, and I'm the opposite of a Makachev fan.

Neither. I got Volk.

If y’all understand P4P you’d know it has nothing to do with moving up or down divisions. It’s about how the fighter would do if everyone was the same size.

Neither. I got Volk.

If y’all understand P4P you’d know it has nothing to do with moving up or down divisions. It’s about how the fighter would do if everyone was the same size.
Exactly, moving up and winning would help his case even more but Islam who cuts a lot of weight beating a guy from a smaller weight class shouldn't improve his p4p status. Volk beat Max x3, Ortega, Yair, Aldo, Mendes, KZ. Islam's best win (out of 155ers) is Charles. After that idk, Tsarukyan? Hooker?

Back