Islam Makhachev or Jon Jones - Who should be P4P #1?

Who should be P4P #1?

• Total voters
I'll remain skeptical of Jones until he beats a pudgy FW with around 10 days notice before the fight. Islam for P4P king of MMA and maybe all combat sports. Khamzat is probably #2.

I guess it depends on your definition of pound for pound. If it means right now then it isn't Jon Jones. Jones is more beatable in my eyes then he ever has been. Prime Jones was a different beast

I expected the poll to be a landslide in Jon's favour. I'm shocked!

I find Jon objectionable in a number of ways too but..... he's still alive and competing. How is this even a question???
Jon is by far the more accomplished fighter

But, at least my interpretation of P4P is that it means who is the most skilled, capable, athletic fighter RIGHT NOW regardless of weight class.

Most of Jon's best work was a LONG TIME AGO. He has managed to keep hie unbeaten streak, but his late LHW fights seem to be a strong indicator of decline.

He has 2 minutes of fighting time in the last 3 years. In that same span Islam has won 3 title fights and win I think about 7 fights.

It's open to interpretation but I think that's the argument for Islam or anyone other than Jon.

Jon's achievements apply more towards GOAT status, and less for P4P due to the time that has passed since most of the higher points of his resume.

Jones by a country mile

Hasn't been beaten spanning over an almost 2 decade career.

Moved up to win a title

Cleaned out divisions

Islam's best win is against a guy moving up and coming off the couch

People get anointed far too easily now a days

Moving up in weight class and defeating larger opponents is more impressive than getting challenged by smaller opponents and winning a close one, IMO.

Jarl

Don't really give a chit but it is 100% without any doubt Makhachev. Jones should arguably not even be ranked top 10, because he only has one recent win.

Jon is by far the more accomplished fighter

But, at least my interpretation of P4P is that it means who is the most skilled, capable, athletic fighter RIGHT NOW regardless of weight class.

Most of Jon's best work was a LONG TIME AGO. He has managed to keep hie unbeaten streak, but his late LHW fights seem to be a strong indicator of decline.

He has 2 minutes of fighting time in the last 3 years. In that same span Islam has won 3 title fights and win I think about 7 fights.

It's open to interpretation but I think that's the argument for Islam or anyone other than Jon.

Jon's achievements apply more towards GOAT status, and less for P4P due to the time that has passed since most of the higher points of his resume.
Jeff, you dirty motherfucker. You done changed up the rules on me. And.... you're making sense.

Excuse me while I shake a fist at the sky and scream some unintelligible, saliva-projecting threats through clenched teeth.

You're making some fair points - GOAT vs P4P. Damn, Sherdog is getting all technical, eh? I def have to give some weight to Jon has had 2 mins of fight time in the last 3 years - that actually makes a ton of sense.

Fine! Fine! Convince me, fine! Yes, I'm convinced.... fine! Good points.

Islam = is fighting and beating top talent, and beat volk twice

jones = historically longetivity, but recently is cherrypicking the heavyweight division, including dodging pavlovic who has won his last 6 fights in a row by ko

jones is maybe technically p4p number 1 but right now, Islam is doing things the more respectable way imo

Islam did fail a drug test though
Doctor signed him off when he popped for one of the most common PEDs used by the Russian athletes at the Olympics. It was something like 17% of Russian PED failures for that heart drug. In comparison it makes up 3% for the rest of the worlds athletes around 2016.

Islam = is fighting and beating top talent, and beat volk twice

jones = historically longetivity, but recently is cherrypicking the heavyweight division, including dodging pavlovic who has won his last 6 fights in a row by ko

jones is maybe technically p4p number 1 but right now, Islam is doing things the more respectable way imo

Jon already has as many top 5 victories as Islam's had in his entire 13 year career just from this year alone.

If he beats Stipe in 2 weeks he'll have double the amount of Islam just from 2023.

Jones is eliminated from any GOAT talk, steroid abusing can.

Back