Media Islam Makhacev wants Arman next, then 170 pound title

What makes you think he won't fight Arman?
Fact he didn't fight Gaethje armen or rematch charles yet, He's had plenty of time to fight one of these three. I assume Armen will get booked against someone else, Leaving islam to fight the winner of paddy vs Moicano as that will be the highest ranked fight available.

Islam vs Leon is gonna be a stinker... they are both counter strikers without much output and I believe Leon has good enough anti wrestling + size advantage to defend all takedowns.

“I don’t want to give a chance to Max because people are still talking about me not defending my belt against the lightweight guys. I need some real contenders from my division.

“I want to clean my division and fight for the welterweight [title].”

“Now, we have Poirier. After if I beat Poirier and after Arman, I don’t know. I don’t have some job in my division. I need that second belt. I think I deserve it. This is my dream to be double champion.”

So, this clown thinks beating Oliveira for the title. Then defending against Poirier, and Tsarukyan equals “cleaning out the division”?

He’s out of his mind.

I hope Dustin puts him to sleep. Especially since Islam seems to be completely disregarding Dustin as a serious threat.

Islam vs Leon is gonna be a stinker... they are both counter strikers without much output and I believe Leon has good enough anti wrestling + size advantage to defend all takedowns.
may be a stinker, but Islam will take him down, his size or wrestling won't be enough.

As a non Islam fan, this is very fair and reasonable. Respect.

Cleaning out the division, huh?

01 Arman Tsarukyan - beat 5 years ago
02 Charles Oliveira - beat
03 Justin Gaethje - hasn't fought
04 Dustin Poirier - fighting next
05 Mateusz Gamrot - hasn't fought
06 Michael Chandler - hasn't fought
07 Beneil Dariush - hasn't fought
08 Rafael Fiziev - hasn't fought
09 Max Holloway - hasn't fought
10 Renato Moicano - hasn't fought
11 Dan Hooker - beat on short notice
12 Jalin Turner - hasn't fought
13 Benoît Saint Denis - hasn't fought
14 Rafael Dos Anjos - hasn't fought
15 Bobby Green - beat on short notice

5/15
33.333%

Not a lot of interesting match ups at LW IMO. Bunch of retreads and rematches. Think the sooner he moves up the better because when Shavkat wins the title Islam's chances of being a double champ drop dramatically.

Fact he didn't fight Gaethje armen or rematch charles yet, He's had plenty of time to fight one of these three. I assume Armen will get booked against someone else, Leaving islam to fight the winner of paddy vs Moicano as that will be the highest ranked fight available.
Arman has turned down the fight supposedly multiple times and his own coaches are saying Arman isn't ready, Charles had to pull out, and I don't know what's up with Gaethje. Volk had defended his FW title 4 times before fighting Islam and had no clear challengers at the time so that's not even bad either. Leon is the best fighter out of them all and that's who he is calling for.

Double champs are boring now. The first thing any of them talk about is fighting for another belt. It's old. It also has happened several times in recent years meanwhile when was the last time a champion had 6, 7, 8 title defenses? Seems as though staying in your lane fighting the top contender for years is harder.
Is it? This is entire site seems to think it's entirely dependent on whether they like the fighter doing it. They can't drop to their knees and start sucking fast enough if it's Pereira and want him to skip over the interim champ and fight for a 3rd title after only being in the UFC for a little over 2 years and already have him on the GOAT list. Nobody in here shit on Volk for doing it until after he lost, then he suddenly turned into a manlet can who was never my friend.

6, 7, 8 title defenses probably is harder, but not because of fighting, it's because of time. You can still win title fights when you're older in the heavier divisions, but Islam had to go 6 years without even losing a round just to get a title shot in his 30s. By the time he beats Arman and moves up for a WW title shot, he'll already have been on a 10 year winning streak with 1 pretty flukey loss in 15 years since he turned pro at 19.

I dont' even know what the record is, but saying Islam has to have more double the previous title defense record, go on like a 20 fight win streak for over 13 or 14 years or however long it would take to get to 8 defenses, which would also make him the oldest champ under 170 in history, then maybe he can move up once he's old as shit, is pretty silly when he could just do it now when it's 2 champs who are in their prime on long win streaks.

to be fair the rankings are bullshit and this is well known. It's not always the case that you have beat the best guys when you beat the top ranked guys, sometimes the #1 contender is colby convington for example, totally undeserving of his spot.
Colby Covington isn't the #1 contender though. He obviously was the #1 contender and had beaten the #10, 7, 6, 5, 3 and 1.

Who is ranked below Poirier that is better than him to make the rankings "bullshit"? Max should be higher than he is, but Dustin has beaten him directly in 2 different divisions. The LW rankings are basically Islam as champ, then like the next 10 guys are all pretty much the same.

Arman has turned down the fight supposedly multiple times and his own coaches are saying Arman isn't ready, Charles had to pull out, and I don't know what's up with Gaethje. Volk had defended his FW title 4 times before fighting Islam and had no clear challengers at the time so that's not even bad either. Leon is the best fighter out of them all and that's who he is calling for.
yeah because Islam only wants the fight on a quick turn around

yeah because Islam only wants the fight on a quick turn around
Islam has said Arman turned the fight down a couple times before that, and when Arman's coaches are saying he isn't ready it really isn't that hard to believe.

Islam has said Arman turned the fight down a couple times before that, and when Arman's coaches are saying he isn't ready it really isn't that hard to believe.
Okay but asking if he wants that fight in 7 weeks after after UFC 300 Is exactly what I'm describing and gives him a chance to fight people who rightfully shouldn't get to fight for the title (porier)

Okay but asking if he wants that fight in 7 weeks after after UFC 300 Is exactly what I'm describing and gives him a chance to fight people who rightfully shouldn't get to fight for the title (porier)
I look at it a little differently. A couple things.

1) This is kind of short notice for Islam and Poirier both, as it would be Arman.

2) I don't know how much damage Arman took in the Charles fight. He got hit a couple times and survived a couple sub attempts but it wasn't exactly a life changing war. He should be relatively unscathed.

3) Arman has had years to prepare for Islam.

I look at it a little differently. A couple things.

1) This is kind of short notice for Islam and Poirier both, as it would be Arman.

2) I don't know how much damage Arman took in the Charles fight. He got hit a couple times and survived a couple sub attempts but it wasn't exactly a life changing war. He should be relatively unscathed.

3) Arman has had years to prepare for Islam.

1) It's not short notice for islam, at all, even in the slightest. he last fought in october and was relatively unscathed, his opponent got knocked out and still fought 4 months before him. Porier is short-ish notice as he fought in march. but im sure it was discussed that he'd fight islam if Armen said no. So Im sure Porier and islam were both in the know. To say it's short notice for islam is laughable and quite simply it is making excuses for him.

2)It's irrelevent how much damage was sustained during the fight with charles, a training camp is typically 6 weeks, He'd have had to start training literally less than a week after fighting Charles, Who is a legit number one contender. he might have just done a very hard and long training camp that may have had an effect on his body, Doing a 6 week training camp, then a weight cut, a fight, and IMMEDIATELY doing another 6 week training camp the week after, Is a really bad Idea, especially if you're going into a title fight

3)Armen has likely been preparing, for this matchup so taking the fight on short notice simply to give Islam an advantage is incredibly stupid and it's a slimy move that is easy to see. Izzy tried to do the same thing to dricus have him fight Whittaker and then himself in a 7 week period and call it his fault for not taking the fight. Islam doing the exact same thing here and now. Can only hope it back fires like it did with Izzy.

I think that's a fair timeline and ask. Especially considering Arman is the most credible challenger at this time. So not only is it securing the title defense record at that point should he win, it's doing so leaning towards the most dangerous guy. Securing the divisions title defense record and having beaten 3 of the divisions most dangerous guys in Charles, DP, and Arman is more than enough for me to have no gripes at a second title opportunity.

1) It's not short notice for islam, at all, even in the slightest. he last fought in october and was relatively unscathed, his opponent got knocked out and still fought 4 months before him. Porier is short-ish notice as he fought in march. but im sure it was discussed that he'd fight islam if Armen said no. So Im sure Porier and islam were both in the know. To say it's short notice for islam is laughable, and simply making excues for him.

2)It's irrelevent how much damage was sustained durring the fight with charles, a training camp is typically 6 weeks, He'd have had to start training literally less than a week after fighting Charles, Who is a legit number one contender. he might have just done a very hard and long training camp that may have had an effect on his body, Doing a 6 week training camp, then a weight cut, a fight, and IMMEDIATELY doing another training camp the week after, Is a really bad Idea, especially if you're going into a title fight

3)Armen has likely been preparing, for this matchup so taking the fight on short notice simply to give Islam an advatage is incredibly stupid and it's a slimy move that is easy to see. Izzy tried to do the same thing to dricus have him fight Whittaker and Izzy in a 7 week period and call it his fault for not taking the fight. Islam doing the exact same thing here and now. Can only hope it back fires like it did with Izzy.
Ok to address these points.

1) Islam has likely not been hardcore training up to this fight before he was scheduled. I could be wrong but it appears he's been out riding bikes in the mountains having a blast. I'll concede though he knew he was going to have a fight coming up but didn't know the opponent.

2) Arman could have had a hard camp and I don't know the extent to his injuries (if there are any) or the effects on his body. It could also be sort of a benefit to him though to go directly into a camp after getting out of one if he's healthy as he would be sharper.

3) Offering Arman the fight was a UFC decision. Islam did not personally go and offer the Arman the fight himself. What you are describing are Hunter Campbell and Dana White decisions. I think Islam probably believes he's the best fighter in the world and didn't care too much about which opponent it was. UFC wanted Islam to headline a card and they needed an opponent.

All in all, I just think it's a bit unfair to accuse Islam of trying to get some sort of advantage. He's said Arman has turned the fight down 2-3 times already. Arman's coaches are saying Arman is not ready to fight Islam. Of course obviously on Sherdog this means Islam is trying to gain an unfair advantage over Arman because...reasons.

He'll have defended it 4x while only 1x having actually defended against the #1 contender.
I know it’s annoying, but he’s already 33 years old and by the time he gets his 4th defense, he’ll be about the age where fighters drop off from the title picture at 35.

Personally I think if he goes up to 170 he should vacate the 155 belt cause I doubt he’d ever go back down again

Back