Is this Really Anderson "The Spider" Silva's Boxing Record?

You know he fought a guy with a respectable record for his first fight. It's not totally out there for him to be KOed by a seasoned guy and having little experience in boxing. Still... at this point of his career and with little boxing experience, I am sure he is blowing smoke up arses. Wanting to fight David Haye and even a spent Roy Jones is a little much. And it's not like Silva has PRECISION punching skills.

It's not out there, obviously. There's no shame in losing to a guy who is 20-2 in your debut match. But the question is, is this really his record? Boxrec contradicts itself saying that his debut was in 2005 and having this loss in 1998 on the record. I've seen no video or photographic evidence for the 1998 bout nor has any credible sports news article mentioned it. That is the key issue here.

What is not on boxrec is the fact that Anderson Silva KO'd Wladimir Klitscko in 2001 and than did the same to Lennox Lewis in 2002. Hes da best fighter in de whole wide world.

http://www.boxrec.com/media/index.php/Human:325793

''...Anderson Silva is MMA fighter, with fights all around the Globe. He is also a Muay Thay back belt."

What the hell is a Muay Thay back belt???

I believe there's a mt belt system only in Brazil. Because I keep hearing, this brazilian guy X is a mt black belt. Then they all gets KOd cold fighting in europe/asia. I really don't know the history behind that.

In Thailand, Holland, France and Japan. Where they do real and world class mt. There's no belt and never will.

If you find this video please post it here. I have never seen footage of this fight. I'm sure others would like to see it as well.

Did you overlook the fact that all of that info is widely available since Silva has become famous and that info was added to Boxrec VERY recently?

I have this thread up in the HWs forum as well. We've already gathered that Boxrec contradicts itself. They have an open book next to the 2005 fight saying it was Silva's debut. Sherdog has a recent article saying he only had one fight and that it was his debut. Yet Boxrec has this 1998 loss on his record which no credible news source attributing it to Anderson Silva.

It's very likely that they mixed up two different Silvas and put separate fights under the same name. I think it is worth investigating so anyone who can get in contact with people that have the answers please do so.

Obviously, the old biography didn't reflect the new changes to Silva's record. And the other sources "affirming" Silva's old record were probably working from the same information, so these citations are not necessarily independent evidence.

And who cares if the change was recent? If anything, Boxrec's ability to correct earlier mistakes (if Silva's earlier record was indeed a mistake) shows that Boxrec is a serious and reliable site.

Hopefully we'll find out the truth soon enough.

Edit: whoops, the open biography next to the Jesus fight hasn't been changed. But that blurb can be edited by anyone. Notice that the main biography is silent on his career.

While there are alot of Silva's in Brazil, it is most likely him. The age, height, location, everything checks out so it's safe to say that it is probably him. Why do you doubt he was KO'd? This isn't MMA you know, i don't find it suprising that someone who doesn't have much boxing experience got KO'd in a boxing match.

Boxing is highly competitive, and the talent pool is very big. His standup would be tested by even the lower end boxers, afterall boxers train solely on Boxing.

Sounds fair enough.
Boxrec IS a

Obviously, the old biography didn't reflect the new changes to Silva's record. And the other sources "affirming" Silva's old record were probably working from the same information, so these citations are not necessarily independent evidence.

And who cares if the change was recent? If anything, Boxrec's ability to correct earlier mistakes (if Silva's earlier record was indeed a mistake) shows that Boxrec is a serious and reliable site.

Hopefully we'll find out the truth soon enough.

Edit: whoops, the open biography next to the Jesus fight hasn't been changed. But that blurb can be edited by anyone. Notice that the main biography is silent on his career.

Hopefully you see my point now. Boxrec contradicts itself in its record keeping on Silva's profile.

Since by many accounts the 1998 fight was added AFTER the 2005 fight I want confirmation that
this is really Silva's fight.

Exactly.

GSP didn't make any waves in the Abu Dhabi tournaments, got armbarred by Matt Hughes in their first fight, and struggled against Menjivar before benefiting from a bizarre stoppage. Oh yeah, and got KTFO by a blown-up lightweight.

GSP is still a wrestling beast, and possibly the best P4P fighter in MMA. People improve.

Oh yeah, and GSP would almost certainly get tooled by a freestyle Olympic Gold medalist in a wrestling match.

lose the word almost

If Boxrec is not reckless about these things why do they still have an open book stating that the 2005 fight was Silva's MMA debut when they have taken the time to update his full record, birth date, height and location?

I do not appreciate the insinuation by people that I am investigating this because I am surprised that Silva lost his Boxing debut. He lost his MMA debut. I know very well that fighters improve and that losing his Boxing debut to a fighter with a 20-2 record at the time does not diminish his success in MMA. This is about standards and accuracy not deifying Silva.

Seriously, what confirmation would you accept that this is THE Anderson Silva? As far as I know, there is no DNA evidence remaining from that fight to prove it beyond a shadow of a doubt. I know I'm being a smartass, but seriously, what "evidence" would you accept?

Seriously, what confirmation would you accept that this is THE Anderson Silva? As far as I know, there is no DNA evidence remaining from that fight to prove it beyond a shadow of a doubt. I know I'm being a smartass, but seriously, what "evidence" would you accept?

DNA evidence, wow.

Try a credible news article. A video would be even better but surely a Pro-Boxing fight would at least be mentioned in the local sports news where it took place. Contacting Silva's management and the promoters of the event to ask about it would be helpful.

lose the word almost

There ain't no certainty in life. Except death.

MNJ:

If Boxrec is not reckless about these things why do they still have an open book stating that the 2005 fight was Silva's MMA debut when they have taken the time to update his full record, birth date, height and location?

Perhaps because the archivists don't care as much about the bios, or don't write the bios in the first place? Mistakes like this happen when people collaborate; so the question becomes, "Which part of boxrec is more trustworthy: the records or the bios?"

If forced to choose, I'd take the records; the standards of evidence are usually higher there.

i cant believe how much buzz this is generating as it has happend before and nothing came of it. If one goes to the HW forum and looks at the threads about this, it is disturbing at how stupid people are.

At first i thought it was a few trolls, but there are established forum members with over 1500 posts saying they think silva would last the whole fight, or that he even has a chance of winning. It makes me sad :(

it isnt an MMA fight, it isnt a MT match (although, i bet jone would win that too), it is a fucking boxing match. I cant believe the hype machine the UFC has to warp people into this bullshit to think silva has a chance.

and LOL at this thread starter thinking people will contact silvas managers? Noone who posts here can do that, put what people here do know is that boxrec is the most credible source for boxing records. So you call his management if that's what you want, or shut the fuck up. Mad people keep making decent posts, and you keep questioning them.

DNA evidence, wow.

Try a credible news article. A video would be even better but surely a Pro-Boxing fight would at least be mentioned in the local sports news where it took place. Contacting Silva's management and the promoters of the event to ask about it would be helpful.

You're taking this really seriously. I'm glad you're on the case.

Heh, the pull is irresistable.

I don't know what Mystic's motivation is, but as a big fan of checking things out I admire this thread.

That aside, it's obvious that many Silva fans (not necessarily Mystic) have a deep emotional investment in Silva's invincibility, and just can't abide evidence to the contrary.

Heh, the pull is irresistable.

I don't know what Mystic's motivation is, but as a big fan of checking things out I admire this thread.

That aside, it's obvious that many Silva fans (not necessarily Mystic) have a deep emotional investment in Silva's invincibility, and just can't abide evidence to the contrary.

i bet they were goldberg and stone cold fans.... oh wait, UFC fans are above the wrasssling.

truth be told, i like wrestling.. i dont really watch it, but i find it entertaining whenever I do... but these people are mentally conditioned to buy into this shit. It is part of the hyperconsummerism lifestytle. They dont know how to critically evaluate things and step outside the hype.

Perhaps because the archivists don't care as much about the bios, or don't write the bios in the first place? Mistakes like this happen when people collaborate; so the question becomes, "Which part of boxrec is more trustworthy: the records or the bios?"

If forced to choose, I'd take the records; the standards of evidence are usually higher there.

I would to. That's why I want someone to look into corroborative evidence for the record.

i cant believe how much buzz this is generating as it has happend before and nothing came of it. If one goes to the HW forum and looks at the threads about this, it is disturbing at how stupid people are.

At first i thought it was a few trolls, but there are established forum members with over 1500 posts saying they think silva would last the whole fight, or that he even has a chance of winning. It makes me sad :(

it isnt an MMA fight, it isnt a MT match (although, i bet jone would win that too), it is a fucking boxing match. I cant believe the hype machine the UFC has to warp people into this bullshit to think silva has a chance.

and LOL at this thread starter thinking people will contact silvas managers? Noone who posts here can do that, put what people here do know is that boxrec is the most credible source for boxing records. So you call his management if that's what you want, or shut the fuck up. Mad people keep making decent posts, and you keep questioning them.

Did I say anything about Sherdog posters themselves contacting Silva's management? :rolleyes:

Wow....

Here's how this works. You create some buzz about a topic, posters ask questions, it gets the attention of Sherdog management who then send their reporters out to investigate (because you know, Sherdog is part of the MMA press and have the connections to investigate this).

How do you think questions get asked of fighters like Cung being asked on The Beatdown how he would do in a fight against Anderson Silva? These questions don't just come out of the blue. Enough posters made threads about it for the press to consider it to be an interesting question.

I don't have the resources or connections to investigate this any more throughly than I have and neither do most posters. But if enough people take interest in it the idea is that someone who does have them will look into it.

Back