Is this Really Anderson "The Spider" Silva's Boxing Record?

MysticNinjaJay

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The news of Anderson Silva challenging Roy Jones Jr. to a Boxing match has caught the attention of many Boxing and MMA fans.

On Wikipedia they have a section on Anderson Silva's entry that claims he made his Boxing debut in 2005 that took place in Brazil against Julio Cesar De Jesus:

Boxing record

Silva made his professional boxing debut on August 6, 2005 at the Antonio Balbino Gymnasyum in Salvador, Bahia, Brazil. He knocked out his opponent, Julio Cesar De Jesus, in the second round. [12]

The citation links to a Boxing record profile of "Anderson Da Silva". But the record shows a fighter with a 1-1 record saying his debut was a loss to Osmar Teixeira in 1998.

http://www.boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?human_id=152826&cat=boxer

Very curiously this record has been recently updated with info that more closely resembles The Spider's that did not exist on the page until recently.

Take a look at this cache image compared to the current page:

Cache Link Image

boxrecasilvacache.jpg

Cache Link

Current Page Image

boxrecasilvacurrent.jpg

Current Page Link

Notice that Silva's birth date, location and height have been edited into this page.

I cannot find a video nor a credible Sports news article for either of these fights. I searched the forums and found nothing conclusively confirming or denying Silva's link to this record.

Since someone in the editor's staff of Boxrecs feels confident that this is really Anderson Silva's record I'd appreciate insight from someone in the know on this topic.

Julio Cesar De Jesus...
I saw this name and couln't stop laughing for some reason

Boxing Rec's a legit source.

I know it is. But the question is whether or not "Anderson Da Silva" is really MMA's Anderson Silva.

The new edits to the Boxrec profile imply so, yet I can find no other source confirming Silva's Boxing career and the Boxing Encyclopedia entry that is linked to on this Boxrec profile, which claims that this fighter is Anderson Silva has been deleted.

Silva's first fight was in 1998. They just don't want to acknowledge it, that's all.

The birth date matches up. It is highly probably that this is his record. And other biographies, I read his first fight in the pro was in 2005 when he KOed De Jesus. I wonder if they are hiding the fact that he got KOed 7 years ago.

Silva's first fight was in 1998. They just don't want to acknowledge it, that's all.

ssh, it never happened. It was some other guy who coincidently has the same height, age, and name.

I know it is. But the question is whether or not "Anderson Da Silva" is really MMA's Anderson Silva.

The new edits to the Boxrec profile imply so, yet I can find no other source confirming Silva's Boxing career and the Boxing Encyclopedia entry that is linked to on this Boxrec profile, which claims that this fighter is Anderson Silva has been deleted.

yeah it is dude. I researched this over in the HWs when that idiotic "anderson wants the 185lb boxing champ" thread got started.

The record, the name, the date. it all checks out. It's him

So he first fought in 1998 more two years before he fought in MMA?

Do you know how many Anderson Silvas there are in Brazil? Also, many Brazilians have more than one last name, and use them interchangably. I doubt he got KOd back in '98. It was probably a different guy.

It certainly appears as if that is his boxing record, and boxrec is not wikipedia, the average joe can't just modify it. I do find it quite odd that Silva made his pro boxing debut 2 years before his MMA debut, didn't fight after that until his MMA debut, and took a 7 year layoff from boxing. While it is odd, I can't help but believe it's true.

Anderson Silva ain't no spring-chicken either, he's almost 33 years old.
In 1998 for this apparent KO loss he took, Anderson Silva would have been 23 years old.
I think it's a loss his people have tried to bury.

"The past was erased, the erasure was forgotten, the lie became truth." - George Orwell, 1984.

So he first fought in 1998 more two years before he fought in MMA?

Do you know how many Anderson Silvas there are in Brazil? Also, many Brazilians have more than one last name, and use them interchangably. I doubt he got KOd back in '98. It was probably a different guy.

While there are alot of Silva's in Brazil, it is most likely him. The age, height, location, everything checks out so it's safe to say that it is probably him. Why do you doubt he was KO'd? This isn't MMA you know, i don't find it suprising that someone who doesn't have much boxing experience got KO'd in a boxing match.

Boxing is highly competitive, and the talent pool is very big. His standup would be tested by even the lower end boxers, afterall boxers train solely on Boxing.

While there are alot of Silva's in Brazil, it is most likely him. The age, height, location, everything checks out so it's safe to say that it is probably him. Why do you doubt he was KO'd? This isn't MMA you know, i don't find it suprising that someone who doesn't have much boxing experience got KO'd in a boxing match.

Boxing is highly competitive, and the talent pool is very big. His standup would be tested by even the lower end boxers, afterall boxers train solely on Boxing.

Because Silva is invincible. Ask anyone in the heavyweight forum.

I've seen a couple of seconds of footage from that fight. It was part of a montage, I think, from some youtube-type site. I can't remember fully, but the footage shows him doing some kind of Ali-shuffle or taunt where he sticks his chin out and then gets nailed by a weak punch from his opponent.

If you find this video please post it here. I have never seen footage of this fight. I'm sure others would like to see it as well.

Did you overlook the fact that all of that info is widely available since Silva has become famous and that info was added to Boxrec VERY recently?

I have this thread up in the HWs forum as well. We've already gathered that Boxrec contradicts itself. They have an open book next to the 2005 fight saying it was Silva's debut. Sherdog has a recent article saying he only had one fight and that it was his debut. Yet Boxrec has this 1998 loss on his record which no credible news source attributing it to Anderson Silva.

It's very likely that they mixed up two different Silvas and put separate fights under the same name. I think it is worth investigating so anyone who can get in contact with people that have the answers please do so.

You know he fought a guy with a respectable record for his first fight. It's not totally out there for him to be KOed by a seasoned guy and having little experience in boxing. Still... at this point of his career and with little boxing experience, I am sure he is blowing smoke up arses. Wanting to fight David Haye and even a spent Roy Jones is a little much. And it's not like Silva has PRECISION punching skills.

Back