Is this legal?

Of course crime will always exist, but i didnt say anything about eradication.

Guys are more worried about their arrest rates and stats than actually getting rid of crime.

I took you literally. Probably just to be argumentative, tbh. If you didn't mean that literally, fair enough.

Tempting poor people to commit crimes isn't helpful.
Chicago is one of the most crime ridden places in the nation, and there are actual helpful things that could be done to combat crime. This isn't one of them

It is to some degree, but probably not if one is trying to play the long game. A cop car placed on a certain roadside will slow traffic for a few days, but that's it.

I just think we need to remove the idealistic approaches if we're ever going to really attempt to tackle the problem.

Is this entrapment? Police with a "bait" truck filled with expensive Nike shoes and left it in near a basketball in the inner city and when kids came up with tried to steal, police would come out of the woodwork to arrest the kids

fQEcXEvrd7leiRWA5BSAIckHkGEyiz6PJBhm5z5LvIQdLcPJLW_X0xfDYoVPvg4H4fyynBw=s0-d-e1-ft

b9KfeebqoExzTKvI90e4bhNZbt5APcKkX6CH2w55X_M-47kAW_C2xaVCbG8Y4wvPiPOZ2Dg=s0-d-e1-ft

Lmao. Since when did 'unprivileged' and 'criminal' become synonymous in so many people's minds? There's tons of poor people who aren't pieces of shit.

Tempting poor people to commit crimes isn't helpful.

Tempting criminals to commit crimes is a good way to catch criminals. Poverty has nothing to do with it. There are plenty of well to do white kids in the suburbs who would have tried to steal the shoes too.

<31>
No. But buying a bunch of Nikes and then waiting behind bushes for a bunch of poor ass kids is a waste of time and money. There are better things that could be done. Putting these kids in the system just starts the cycle

Breaking news: put something valuable in front of a poor person and they'll probably try to steal it.
This doesn't help anybody. The police shouldn't be tempting people to commit crimes.

It's easy to judge the morals of a person when you're not living in the same shithole they are.
I wouldn't steal shit, but im also not poor.

Shithole compared to what? This is Chicago and not some jungle in the middle of nowhere or even some rural community in the Appalachians.

Why should normal civilians who live in these neighbourhoods who are actually trying to make it out have to deal with the crime.

I don't know the parameters behind entrapment but I can't imagine it's "worth it" to arrest a bunch of kids for stealing Nikes.

It's not worth it for that reason. But it is worth doing periodically. My guess is they are trying to find a person in the area who has warrants or has skipped for something more serious. They throw out this little cast net, and hope that they either catch the guy, or have a little leverage to jam up someone who knows where he is.

Shithole compared to what? This is Chicago and not some jungle in the middle of nowhere or even some rural community in the Appalachians.

Why should normal civilians who live in these neighbourhoods who are actually trying to make it out have to deal with the crime.
Have you seen the murder rates of Chicago????? More people die there than American soldiers in actual war zones like Afghanistan.
There are most definitely pockets of shitholes in Chicago.

And when did i say 'don't stop crime'? I said there are better ways of tackling the problem than this. Im not excusing criminal acts, but i also don't think it's helpful to tempt people into doing them.
Easy opportunities can cause people to do things they wouldn't of normally done without the carrot dangling in their face. I'm not excusing their actions, but the law shouldnt be creating situations where a crime can happen (there are exceptions i would be okay with though)

You guys have never watched bait car? I believe it was mostly in Canada but they just left the keys in the ignition and then when guys would steal it they could shut off the car remotely and lock them in lol.

Nikes is petty theft though, pretty low lmao

I used to watch this shit. It was funny as fuck. Might spend my work day watching this.

Tempting criminals to commit crimes is a good way to catch criminals. Poverty has nothing to do with it. There are plenty of well to do white kids in the suburbs who would have tried to steal the shoes too.
Poor , rich, black, white, that isn't my main reasons against it. But since you brought it up, how often do you think cops have pulled this trick in a white, surburban neighborhood?
And i don't think the commiting of a crime in a circumstance like this automatically makes one a shit person. But if you think the number of arrests would be equal in a shit Chicago neighborhood and a nice surburban one, i think you're full of crap. Poor people will be more likely to steal because they have less. That doesn't mean a surburban kid won't. And it doesnt mean the poor people are shit people.
Why they steal says a lot about who they are

Bottom line for me is, i dont think we should be tempting people to commit crimes, unless its for specific reasons.(trying to catch a specific criminal, or something more serious like rape, murder, or pedos) I don't think a cop dressed as a hooker should tempt a drunk, or some fat loser to buy some sex, or try to get a kid at a club to buy some weed or E, or get a poor kid to steal some shoes that he can sell for some money.
It's human nature, give someone an easy opportunity to do something, and they may give in. We shouldn't prey on it. You have a chance of creating a criminal that way..guys who thought about doing some shit, but only took that final leap when you put it in front of their face

Poor , rich, black, white, that isn't my main reasons against it. But since you brought it up, how often do you think cops have pulled this trick in a white, surburban neighborhood?
And i don't think the commiting of a crime in a circumstance like this automatically makes one a shit person. But if you think the number of arrests would be equal in a shit Chicago neighborhood and a nice surburban one, i think you're full of crap. Poor people will be more likely to steal because they have less. That doesn't mean a surburban kid won't. And it doesnt mean the poor people are shit people.

Bottom line for me is, i dont think we should be tempting people to commit crimes, unless its for specific reasons.(trying to catch a specific criminal, or something more serious like rape, murder, or pedos) I don't think a cop dressed as a hooker should tempt a drunk, or some fat loser to buy some sex, or try to get a kid at a club to buy some weed or E, or get a poor kid to steal some shoes that he can sell for some money.
It's human nature, give someone an easy opportunity to do something, and they may give in. We shouldn't prey on it. You have a chance of creating a criminal that way..guys who thought about doing some shit, but only took that final leap when you put it in front of their face

Committing crimes is not human nature. It's a tiny subset of humanity that commits crimes.

Have you seen the murder rates of Chicago????? More people die there than American soldiers in actual war zones like Afghanistan.
There are most definitely pockets of shitholes in Chicago.

And when did i say 'don't stop crime'? I said there are better ways of tackling the problem than this. Im not excusing criminal acts, but i also don't think it's helpful to tempt people into doing them.
Easy opportunities can cause people to do things they wouldn't of normally done without the carrot dangling in their face. I'm not excusing their actions, but the law shouldnt be creating situations where a crime can happen (there are exceptions i would be okay with though)

Weird I could have sworn i bolded this part, but clearly I did not.

"It's easy to judge the morals of a person when you're not living in the same shithole they are.
I wouldn't steal shit, but im also not poor."

Chicago has a lot of deaths but there is a lot of gang activity. People still have choices to move unlike other countries, whether they do it or not is on them. Also, Chicago may be poor but these poor people still have iPhones, new shoes, and clothes, and are allotted various handouts so they don't starve to death. I guess I just always take issue when people say places in NA are poor when other parts of the world are fucked and you can legitimately starve.

I have no issues with you disagreeing about the law not dangling the carrot. What are the exceptions that you would be okay with?

Committing crimes is not human nature. It's a tiny subset of humanity that commits crimes.
How about stop trying to be argumentative before actually thinking about what is being said?

Crimes are defined by humans. There's about 2.3 million Americans in jail right now. And who knows how many other people on parole, or doing community service or whatever for crimes.

Crimes are just actions. There are certainly crimes that could arguably be a part of human nature..Especially when looking at them under particular circumstances.
People care less about the rule of law when theyre desperate, or feel they have little to lose.

Weird I could have sworn i bolded this part, but clearly I did not.

"It's easy to judge the morals of a person when you're not living in the same shithole they are.
I wouldn't steal shit, but im also not poor."

Chicago has a lot of deaths but there is a lot of gang activity. People still have choices to move unlike other countries, whether they do it or not is on them. Also, Chicago may be poor but these poor people still have iPhones, new shoes, and clothes, and are allotted various handouts so they don't starve to death. I guess I just always take issue when people say places in NA are poor when other parts of the world are fucked and you can legitimately starve.

I have no issues with you disagreeing about the law not dangling the carrot. What are the exceptions that you would be okay with?
I think it is a big mistake to consider poor = poor. My work and travels has led me to 'real' poor places like parts of India, Bangladesh, and Cambodia. But the infrastructure, rules, communities, opportunities,...EVERYTHING is different there.
You just can't compare poverty in NA to poverty in other parts of the world.
It's a different kind of poverty, but it doesn't make NA poverty unreal.
Tvs are so cheap in the states that anybody can have them nowadays, but having one doesn't make you rich.

NA is good at keeping poor people alive longer. But they're just living longer, miserable lives with mlre distractions, things a rich nation like the US can afford. Food is plentiful, so people don't starve here, they're just kept alive living meaningless lives

And how does one "just move" out of a shitty area? People really discount how difficult it is for a poor person to just move to a new area. Do they have a car? Probably not. Can they get a job? How do they even move from house A to B? A lot of these communities are there because their fathers and grandfathers are from there. They're probably living in their family's home, or the apartment lease is under their grandma's name, or the one other family member that has decent credit, or in an area where the government gives them assistance. If it was so easy to move , people would do it.
And where do you think guys in poor places get money to buy phones and shoes? It's not from a 9 to 5

I'm okay with this baiting tactic for serious crimes. Murder, rape, and pedophilia.
Or if they were trying to catch a particular theif that had an MO of stealing in a particular way.
Baiting poor people into commiting small crimes just feels like preying on the weak. Go after real criminals

Last edited:
"YoU pEoPlE aRe 13% oF tHe pOpUlAtIoN bUt cOmMiT tHe MaJoRiTy of the cRiMe!"

spongebob.jpg

^ This is one of the millions of reasons why.
So they go into impoverished neighborhoods, purposely leave something valuable there deliberately to get someone in trouble.

That's like me leaving a steak in front of a starving dog, walking away and scolding it for eating it.

Not illegal, but should be.

lol... Why don't they pull this stunt in a suburban neighborhood? Because they'd be wasting their time watching the truck sit there all day with nothing happening.

If assholes are going to steal no matter what, why not set up situations when they can be apprehended quickly. Instead of letting them run wild and hope you catch them later? Maybe... just maybe, they'll think twice next time. Though I doubt it.

I used to live in a crappy neighborhood and I got sick of my car getting broke into... fuck these clowns.

And fuck anyone justifying their behavior like they're some dumb animal who doesn't know any better. They know what they're doing and they know it's illegal.

<31>
No. But buying a bunch of Nikes and then waiting behind bushes for a bunch of poor ass kids is a waste of time and money. There are better things that could be done. Putting these kids in the system just starts the cycle

Breaking news: put something valuable in front of a poor person and they'll probably try to steal it.
This doesn't help anybody. The police shouldn't be tempting people to commit crimes.

It's easy to judge the morals of a person when you're not living in the same shithole they are.
I wouldn't steal shit, but im also not poor.

I kind of agree.. But if they would stop stealing so much the areas wouldn't be so poor.

How about stop trying to be argumentative before actually thinking about what is being said?

Crimes are defined by humans. There's about 2.3 million Americans in jail right now. And who knows how many other people on parole, or doing community service or whatever for crimes.

Crimes are just actions. There are certainly crimes that could arguably be a part of human nature..Especially when looking at them under particular circumstances.
People care less about the rule of law when theyre desperate, or feel they have little to lose.

2.3 million of 400 million. So ~.5%. Like I said, a tiny subset.

Hopefully a valuable lesson was learned that day.

Don't steal.
Would be nice if the average person learned that way. Removing the circumstances that lead to theft would be more effective.

Anyway no ts, not illegal. As someone else mentioned there used to be a bait car show

if you don't steal, there's nothing to get caught for...

have zero issue with this

Back