Is Overeem's MMA career over?

How long he stays in the UFC depends on who he gets matched up with and how well he can protect his glass jaw. Even if he gets cut, I can see him joining Bellator or going back to K-1, maybe doing some pro wrestling. He still has a lot of options, I think, even if the UFC doesn't work out for him.

How long he stays in the UFC depends on who he gets matched up with and how well he can protect his glass jaw. Even if he gets cut, I can see him joining Bellator or going back to K-1, maybe doing some pro wrestling. He still has a lot of options, I think, even if the UFC doesn't work out for him.

Bellator isn't taking UFC rejects.

a lot of people here really only look at W's and L's.
He looked good in his last two fights right up until he lost.
You can chalk it up to gas tank/heart/chin/mindset or whatever, but he has the skills to compete with the best.

Overeem has always been inconsistent, I'm not sure why people are acting like this happened because he joined the UFC, he wasn't exactly Jose Aldo when he came. He still has the same chance as he used to, except without all the hype.

I do think it had to do with him joining the UFC, but not for the reasons others are alluding to (i.e. increased competition). He doomed himself by joining the UFC because that put him into a situation where he would get tested for PED's often, which obviously was his downfall.

No Horsemeat = Hasta la vista, Reem.

Without a drastic improvement in his defense/cardio, it's over.

His offense is great and on point, but he wilts quickly and has a very very suspect chin.

edit:
That said, he kills Mir. Best clinch killer vs worst clinch defender. Will be a short night.

As crazy as this sounds, Mir has a decent uppercut. Reem clinches with Mir against the cage and his glass jaw gets hit with an uppercut for a stunning Frank Mir KO? At this point i just don't think he can take any sort of hit on the jaw. He has been KO'ed 8 times.

Overeem may get cut from the UFC but he has a big international name so he can fight anywhere in the US, Japan or Europe. He can go to Glory or Bellator

As crazy as this sounds, Mir has a decent uppercut. Reem clinches with Mir against the cage and his glass jaw gets hit with an uppercut for a stunning Frank Mir KO? At this point i just don't think he can take any sort of hit on the jaw. He has been KO'ed 8 times.

My buddy at work would go ape shit over that, he's a huge Mir fan.

Frankly depends on matchmaking and his mindset IMO. He clearly has the physical gifts to finish people fast but he seems to be done if his opponent survives his flurry.

It never gets old seeing a behemoth like Overeem getting KOd by what seemingly seems like shots that he should be able to take given his massive size.

As crazy as this sounds, Mir has a decent uppercut. Reem clinches with Mir against the cage and his glass jaw gets hit with an uppercut for a stunning Frank Mir KO? At this point i just don't think he can take any sort of hit on the jaw. He has been KO'ed 11 times. (Incl. K1)

Man thats what im saying!

This is one of those old school "whoever lands first" fights. Mir's been out 7 times, with 6 of 7 being a TKO. (the later ones are worse..i..e...Dos Santos)

But im siding more with Mir, just due to the fact that hes at Jackson and he lasted with Cormier. (Ill have to rewatch, as I remember it sucking around rd 2-3)

The reality of Overeem's PED career is now coming to light (imo).

Overeem was able to brush off his earlier brutal LHW KO losses as if it was his body that was responsible and now that Overeem was so much more physically in-shape, and confident; he would now be able to sustain shots and in a short time improve to be a #2-3 contender in a bigger division and Knockout some of combat sports biggest names (K1's Badr Hari & UFC's Brock Lesnar). Once busted, he drops inconsistent (well I guess consistent now) knockout losses to lesser ranked foe, looks different at weigh ins/fights, and has alot less confidence.

Last edited:
If he loses to Mir, i don't Dana give him more changes. As a Overeem fan i hope he can win Mir.
But to be honest, a title shot in the future, i don't see it happening.
When he started at the UFC i had great expectations and i wasn't the only i think. After his win against Brock, it was looking more bright for.
After the disappointing loss against Bigfoot, i still had some good feeling about i title.
But after his loss against Brown, i don't see title for him unfortunately. Overeem's great time is over i'm afraid.
From both losses i have to say, it where stupid losses, which hasn't to be necessary.

Overeem's 'great time' never really began.

Most of his significant victories he's had were either due to his opponents being injured/not fully prepared or they were overhyped to begin with, or not looking that great and wining a decision.

I'm just glad the legion of Overoid I mean just plain Over now, had finally settled down to reality.

And the reality is that his defense is awful and he can't take a punch.

Nope, he was beating Bigfoot and Browne until he got caught after gassing. He will knock out Mir for sure IMO, that is just a terrible fight for Mir I honestly do not think he is going to make it out of the first round, even Overeem manages to find a way to lose this fight somehow, he will go beat up Kongo as that is a very marketable fight that he would be paid well for.

He'll still be top 10 if he loses to Mir. He just isn't the stud the Zuffa haters were hoping for.

Back