Is Overeem's MMA career over?

With his age and the damage he's taken, yes. It's kind of like the early middle of his career. Lost to Chuck won a few then lost to lil nog then won and lost to Shogun. It was pretty much like that until after he got KO'd by Sergei. It's not really surprising that he's been inconsistent. Besides that long undefeated streak he had, most of his career has been like that. He's not young anymore(I know 33 is ancient but he has some bad KO's).

I didn't really expect him to win the title. I thought he would be somewhere between top 5-10 but not really any higher. I know he looked a lot more impressive at HW than at 205 but I still remember how he faired against higher level competition at 205. I just couldn't see him beating Cain or JDS.

Traditionally the problem with Reem has been his lack of aggressiveness. He's always been that way.

If we could put a young Wanderlei's head on Reem's body he would be a contender for GOAT.

Overeem was supposed to be the biggest threat to the title until Bigfoot changed all that. He is coming off two devastating losses in fights he was winning (IMO) before getting KTFO. His only win comes over an unhealthy Lesnar.

As much as I'd love to see Overeem take a run at the title.... I just don't see it happening. His chin is obviously not there.... not only that but, when you have your hands down any punch from a guy that is 235+ pounds is going to KO you. I dont care who you are.

That being said, Overeem sends Mir packing, then loses two in a row and gets cut from the UFC. That is my prediction

Overeem's obvious problem is roids ... namely, he can't have them like he used to. BTW, don't make excuses for Lesnar. It's not like Lesnar was ever a fighting machine. He was big and strong, but if he didn't take you down with his double-leg and GnP you, then he was toast. Overeem obviously didn't respect Lesnar at all and finished him quickly, although he was probably still juiced to the gills back then ... it wasn't until his next fight he would be caught with a random drug test and exposed.

Since then he just doesn't have finishing power and gasses easily. Roided Overeem finishes both men he lost to with big stoppages. Against Big Foot especially he was on the wrong side of his roiding, leaving him with abnormally low testosterone.

I wouldnt say he has a bad chin. Hes more a victim of circumstance, taking HUGE shots that would have floored anyone in the HW division with the exception of a few maybe because he leaves his chin out in the open

This.

And you can't drop your hands like Overeem does against heavies, no matter how good your striking is, because all it takes is one power shot and that's it for most guys.

A loss to mirr would be a third and the UFC will use it as a excuse to cut him he could do good somewhere else

Unhealthy Lesnar? You mean the same Lesnar that could take Cain Velasquez down vs the pre injury Lesnar that couldn't take down 205lb past his prime Randy Couture? The Lesnar that won by Submission over Carwin vs the Lesnar that got subbed in one of the most hilarious submissions of all time at top level MMA? You gotta be joking. He beat the best Lesnar there is.

It was over the moment he signed with the ufc

I was pretty much about to say the same thing. People like to pretend he's had some type of incredible run beating top fighters around the world. At no point in his career has he really shown he's tough enough to be the world beater some believed he became simply because of his physique. Then a lot of people ignored his fight with Werdum simply b/c he won, but fans refused to see how poor the performance was. But the KOs have finally woke those people up. It amazes me though that some still scratch their heads wondering "what happened?" as if we haven't seen this from Overeem before when facing heavy handed opponents.

He's simply not being 9/10 of the heavy hitters in his division, period, and theres a whole lot of those at HW.

He should go back to GG and get his shit back together.
Those guys know his strengths and weaknesses, he could do good.

Over? No. Damaged? Crashed.

Even if he beats Mir, i just cant see a way back for him... He really needs to destroy Mir to get any respect back.

Overeem only looked good fighting nobodys in Japan. I just can't believe that a couple of years ago he was so hyped up that everybody would say that he just comes and tears through the UFC HW division.

With drug testing and decent level of competition he barely stands a chance.

All the roids in the world isnt going to fix a glass jaw imo.

MMA career?

No, even if he loses to Mir and is cut from the UFC. Although I'd want Overeem to retire if Mir somehow manages to TKO/KO him. No more brain damage.

Overeem only looked good fighting nobodys in Japan. I just can't believe that a couple of years ago he was so hyped up that everybody would say that he just comes and tears through the UFC HW division.

With drug testing and decent level of competition he barely stands a chance.
He was winning against Browne and Silva until he gassed out.

I still think he has what it takes to beat most HWs on a good day.

He was never that good, its the reason he roided to gills, because he new it himself

He wont / can't juice like he used to, so he will never look like the monster he once was.

His career is obviously not over since he has at least one fight coming up.

But you mean in a metaphorical sense.

Well, sense he's never going to win the title and may not even get a shot at it--- hasn't his career been over for a while?

Back