Is Overeem's MMA career over?

It's not over until its over but its not looking good. I don't think Zuffa will let him go until his contract is up. He is still a draw for the longtime MMA fans. I'm sure with a couple of wins in Japan and some hype Bellator would jump at the opportunity to sign him to a contract. I think Zuffa would like to avoid that scenario. I don't know how many fights he has left on his contract but we will likely see him fighting until Zuffa has to let him go.

He will crush Frank Mir. How does anyone think otherwise?

We think otherwise because we just saw him get brutally KO'd twice in a row(by guys he was supposed to "crush"). I'm betting Mir KO's him too and sends him packing. Though honestly, I like seeing Mir get punched just as much. They are both super cocky and I'm glad they're getting brought back down to Earth.

They're both gatekeepers at best. Both have lousy striking defense and suspect chins in a weight class with a ton of heavy hitters.

I'd rather see Mir lose and get sent into the commentator booth instead of the terrible Florian and Anik combo, but I just have really low expectations with Overeem's striking defense now. If Mir can avoid the clinch game he's gonna catch him eventually.

2 devastating losses for sure - but he can still whip a lot of ass at HW I'm guessing. I hope they keep him around. The HW division is in desperate need of the talent and name power.

Christ... Overeem vs. Cormier would be amazing.

Make that fight.

The main reason for his losses are that he isnt allowed to be on the Reem diet, you know horsemeat and "stuff". The "stuff" part is the essential part here, because it was because of that "side-dish" he gained all the muscle and uber-power that made him into the wrecking machine that he was. Plus the fact that he left GG. But I'd say, let Overeem get back on the stuff, and hell wipe out the entire HW division.

How can his career be over if he's fighting Mir soon? That, by definition, means the career is not over.

If he loses against Mir, he'll get cut and perhaps start fighting some cans in another org. He can make some more money, but I think a loss to Mir means he will really consider hanging up the gloves and do something else.

On another note, why all the bullshit about "unhealthy Brock"? Brock looked basically like he always does, just that he couldn't take down Overeem and acts even worse when taking punches than Overeem.

Overeem can still become a legit contender, he has the tools and everything and has had it for many years, it's just that he seems reluctant to acually change the way he fights and improve his defense. Overeem's biggest obstacle is his ego.

Even if he gets cut in teh UFC, he can easily become Bob Sapp II making a long KO tourney in Europe or Asia.

hell no.

hes the same old reem he wins a few loses a few.

the constant is that many of his fights are damn good entertainment.

Even if he beats Mir hell never hold the title.

Give him Nog next for lulz

It's not over. And let's be real, he was not going to be the next biggest thing in MMA. Let's go through his last few fights. HW GP, a staredown with Werdum. Comes to the UFC, beats Brock Lesnar (who was dunzo by then) by kicking him in a sensitive area that made him crumble (that's a gimme), gets KTFO (I give credit he was winning the fight up to that point, but gassed hard), gets laid out by Browne, and honestly I am pretty sure he will lose to Mir. Prior to joining the UFC, Overeem was beating guys who had little chance of beating him or he was competing in K-1. Being honest, if Shane Carwin was still fighting, I would pick him over Overeem in an MMA bout. Overeem is good, but he was and has been HIGHLY overrated for the past 3 years. I think the casuals just caught on to everyone for Overeem.

Even if he lose , he had set backs earlier but his options are running out , he went up to HW because his Cardio Prob but now is his Chin more exposed and you see what happens when big dudes tag on it . Hes gonna beat Mir but after that he should fight more cautios and less cockier .

He was never "supposed" to be the biggest threat to the title. He was over rated for as long as I can remember.

Are you aware Overeem was owning those guys before getting caught?

Shertards...
I don't think his issue was just getting caught.

He gassed himself out in both fights and was overly arrogant against Silva. He had his hands down way too many times in that fight, so yes, Silva decided to touch his chin. On the other hand, Browne must have thrown the same front kick 15ish times-- I guess getting caught is matter of probability at that point, but...dayum.

Also, "he was winning until he lost in devastating fashion" isn't the best argument.

hell no.

hes the same old reem he wins a few loses a few.

the constant is that many of his fights are damn good entertainment.
I think these are among the truest words said, yet.

C'mon... his two losses didn't come via domination of his opponents. Dunno if he can hang with Cain or JDS, but he definitely deserves being in the UFC HW division. He will beat Mir and I hope he will be back.

Overeem's 'great time' never really began.

Most of his significant victories he's had were either due to his opponents being injured/not fully prepared or they were overhyped to begin with, or not looking that great and wining a decision.

I'm just glad the legion of Overoid I mean just plain Over now, had finally settled down to reality.

And the reality is that his defense is awful and he can't take a punch.

Bullshit!

If he had been destroyed in his last 2 fights then I would say yes.

But the fact is, he's a monster that beats the crap out of folk......but if he can't finish them then he's screwed.

But he's dangerous for everybody.

If he had been destroyed in his last 2 fights then I would say yes.

But the fact is, he's a monster than beats the crap out of folk......but if he can't finish them then he's screwed.

But he's dangerous for everybody.

True. He'll always be dangerous until he gets hit on the chin. Most top HW's arent just going to wilt from his attack esp if he's not roiding anymore.

Frank Mir simply won't be able to survive an Overeem barrage. Not even on his best day.

He is going to defeat Mir.but after that I want to see hunt vs overeem 2.when hunto ko his ass then it will be over of overeem a career.

Back