Is Khamzat a Legit Tough Guy ... or yet another Front-Runner?

IronGolem007

Po Atan
Platinum Member
Reaction score
For a while, Khamzat was fighting as often as possible.

Lately, not much at all.

Usman may just be taking this fight "for a payday" ... but this is (literally) a Make-or-Break fight for both.

If Usman wins, for sure he's next in line for a title shot after Colby.
If Khamzat wins, for sure he's next in line for a title shot at Strickland, or Edwards (depending on the weight class he chooses).

However, if Usman loses, then he's no longer in the conversation — he becomes a turd looking to sink deeper and deeper into the punch bowl.

But what if Khamzat loses?

Theoretically, Khamzat still has time to work in rebuild himself. My question is, does he have the mettle to bounce back — or will Khamzat spiral downward (like Conor) becoming less-and-less dedicated, as an actual fighter, and more-and-more vocal as a "Twitter Lord" ???

If Khamzat loses I think he goes the way of the latter.
I don't think he'll be able to handle it.
Khamzat does not seem to be a dedicated professional, but more of a mouthy Front-Runner ...

Thoughts?

Seems to me he trains 24/7 and is dedicated to the sport.

Lets face it. Nobody wants to fight the guy.

Remember when sherdog kept saying he was ducking costa? Look what happened.

Credit to Usman for stepping up to the plate though.

Really risky move for him, but Dana must have promised him a nice pay day. It also won't hurt his rankings as a welterweight.

Plenty of built in excuses if he loses.

Seems to me he trains 24/7 and is dedicated to the sport.

Lets face it. Nobody wants to fight the guy.

Remember when sherdog kept saying he was ducking costa? Look what happened.

Credit to Usman for stepping up to the plate though.

Really risky move for him, but Dana must have promised him a nice pay day. It also won't hurt his rankings as a welterweight.

Plenty of built in excuses if he loses.

To be fair no one wants to fight him because he's unranked and dangerous. Get him a title or a top 5 ranking and they'll all want to fight him.

To be fair no one wants to fight him because he's unranked and dangerous. Get him a title or a top 5 ranking and they'll all want to fight him.

Catch 22 isn't it?

Can't get a fight hence can't move up the rankings. No named ranked fighters want any part of him.

But he isn't totally absolved of blame. He royally fucked up UFC 279 by missing weight.

The mauling of Nate Diaz's corpse was supposed to be his coming out party into the mainstream.

Dana was fucking pissseeeeddddd.

Absolutely. He is ready to die in there. Trains all the time. Is a student of the sport. He has everything needed to be great, at least in theory.

Catch 22 isn't it?

Can't get a fight hence can't move up the rankings. No named ranked fighters want any part of him.

But he isn't totally absolved of blame. He royally fucked up UFC 279 by missing weight.

The mauling of Nate Diaz's corpse was supposed to be his coming out party into the mainstream.

Dana was fucking pissseeeeddddd.

They'll just make him 5 like they did Islam to justify a title shot.

whatever happens, i think everyone agrees that the winner of this fight gets a title shot before what’s-his-name(?).

he was top 5 at ww for a year nobody took a fight against him exept diaz

If khamzat falls it will be a GSP vs serra or Jones vs Hammill moment. An anomaly or outlier in hai otherwise very dominant career.

does he bounce back? He bounces opponent heads off the canvas for an extended run after like he did before

Didn't he also have visa issues during that period? I remember there being all kinds of reasons he never fights anymore.
Visa issues, opponents ducking him, too much money from out of cage activities all contributed to it

I think he's a savage and could be champ with right attitude and camp but he's also cocky and arrogant.
He got some money and fought less -> lacks the drive to be a longtime defending champion cause of earthly distractions.

For a while, Khamzat was fighting as often as possible.

Lately, not much at all.

Usman may just be taking this fight "for a payday" ... but this is (literally) a Make-or-Break fight for both.

If Usman wins, for sure he's next in line for a title shot after Colby.
If Khamzat wins, for sure he's next in line for a title shot at Strickland, or Edwards (depending on the weight class he chooses).

However, if Usman loses, then he's no longer in the conversation — he becomes a turd looking to sink deeper and deeper into the punch bowl.

But what if Khamzat loses?

Theoretically, Khamzat still has time to work in rebuild himself. My question is, does he have the mettle to bounce back — or will Khamzat spiral downward (like Conor) becoming less-and-less dedicated, as an actual fighter, and more-and-more vocal as a "Twitter Lord" ???

If Khamzat loses I think he goes the way of the latter.
I don't think he'll be able to handle it.
Khamzat does not seem to be a dedicated professional, but more of a mouthy Front-Runner ...

Thoughts?
Still waiting for Poatan to untuck his tail and accept a fight with Khamzat at 185.

Khamzat would have given that boy the Holland treatment

I get what you’re saying, Sherbro. But I also feel that fighters value rankings too highly. Beating Kahmzat, ranking or not, elevates you in the MMA sphere. Am I wrong?

Back