Is Dustin Poirier the best striker in the lw history?

I agree, "if he knew how to check his leg kicks" is always a dumb excuse.

By that same logic if Dustin knew how to avoid Conor's punches he wouldn't have been knocked out in the first fight.

Ngannou would be on a losing streak if people knew how to avoid his punches. Why are kicks any different

Yeah fair point it's like Conor hit Dustin's fists with his face and he knocked himself out if you listen to people talk

Definitely not, relies mostly on his boxing, I'd say he is one of the more dangerous boxers in the pocket but he gets tagged a lot, his defense is pretty poor, doesn't have much of a thai clinch. I'd consider Masvidal a more technical striker than Porrier, probably Pettis as well. He has a great all round skillset though, he doesn't really lack ability anywhere.

Masvidal at LW would get fucked up by Poirier. Pettis already fucked up Pettis. His defense is pretty under-rated. He is aggressive so he does get tagged here and there, but his head movement and defense and chin is under-rated.

Add his accomplishments to equation, he has a claim to the best lightweight striker imo

they're 1 and 1
conor Ko'ed him too
your response has nothing to do with what I said
how can someone be the best if you deem someone else is better

Accomplishments. He knocked Conor's ass out. Conor's 1-3 at LW. The first fight was at FW. I think Conor's quite better though

BJ Penn though?

The guy has literally had the fastest reaction time in the UFC in his prime and that was during a time where both Silva and Machida were at or around their peak.

Dustin deserves a lot of credit though.

Longevity. Achievement at LIGHTWEIGHT.

You know what's crazy? If you look back on Bj's career, there aren't a whole lot of good strikers BJ stood toe to toe with. Bj looked like Sean Sherk against Gomi.

I'm a guy who thinks prime BJ has a good shot at beating prime Khabib too, but BJ grapples pretty much every striker he faces.

bj penn and frankie edgar were more technical strikers than dustin for sure.

dustin wouldnt be able to handle prime edgar......too quick. too many feints and difficult to catchn clean because of great footwork and subtle other movements clean.

totally different from poirier vs hollaway.

people forget that edgar and penn were great strikers/boxers at light weight. i rank these two above dustin for sure

I see Poirier tearing through Edgar.

Lol at other choices when you chose to a suggest panic wrestler (vs Conor no less lol) who has been destroyed in standup by Korean Zombie and micheal Johnson types? Bj penn knocks out the very hittable Dustin with his prime hand speed. No wonder this thread isn’t going the way you imagined my friend.

Prime for prime: Conor for sure , barboza for sure, pettis and gomi very likely too, maybe Justin too, prime Tony and Charles too, Chandler Kos him today, Michael Johnson hahaha too due to head to head sample size, tbh prime cowboy potential does to him what he did to Charles oliveira too, hell even guys he’s gotten past like Alvarez etc might beat him in their prime. Dustin is in my opinion not the best striker ever and not the best striker today either.

Well bet the house on Conor then bruh you seem very high on Dustin

Longevity. Achievement at LIGHTWEIGHT.

You know what's crazy? If you look back on Bj's career, there aren't a whole lot of good strikers BJ stood toe to toe with. Bj looked like Sean Sherk against Gomi.

I'm a guy who thinks prime BJ has a good shot at beating prime Khabib too, but BJ grapples pretty much every striker he faces.

BJ did beat Gomi's ass like he beat Sherk. Just in a different way.

He beat Shooto Gomi. That wasn't PRIDE Gomi. And he looked like Sean Sherk. He spammed like 10 takedowns

Your exaggeration is hilarious. Penn worked takedowns and looked to pass to get into submission positions. He didn't do it to ride out top control. He worked Gomi over. Reconcile it however you need to.

Well bet the house on Conor then bruh you seem very high on Dustin
You missed the prime part? If you learn to comprehend better you may not rush to make such a stretch of a statement thread lol

I think Gaethje is the best striker. His combination of boxing and leg kicks does it for me. I know he lost to Dustin and Eddie but he's been working hard and improving his boxing. He also has changed his fighting style so he's fighting smarter in there. Conor has very good hands but he doesn't use his kicking effectively and obviously he's very susceptible to leg kicks with that stance.

When you really break it down there are a lot of guys who have had their moments. BJ, Pettis, Barboza, McGregor, Poirier and Gaethje have all had their moments.

Masvidal at LW would get fucked up by Poirier. Pettis already fucked up Pettis. His defense is pretty under-rated. He is aggressive so he does get tagged here and there, but his head movement and defense and chin is under-rated.

Add his accomplishments to equation, he has a claim to the best lightweight striker imo

I disagree, I think Masvidal would pick Porrier apart at a distance. Porrier gets tagged pretty heavily in most fights, Masvidal barely gets touched, he has much better defence. Regarding Pettis, not sure what fight you're referring to, Pettis wilts a bit under pressure but in terms of technical ability he is more sound that Porrier.

Nate has better boxing, Barboza has faster, better technique on everything but Dustin’s punches.

So, personally I think Conor is more talented striker prime for prime. I think there's a significant gap in there. However, Poirier just knocked out that that very Conor at lightweight, and Conor really hasn't done much at all at lightweight anyways. And funny enough, Poirier outlanded Conor even in the first fight before being clipped behind the ear as well, not to mention he was landing some low kicks on Conor in that first fight too.

I see some people saying oh Conor just have to defend that calf kicks and then he would've won. Well he didn't, and he got his shit pushed in. And Conor in his entire life never checked low kicks before, whereas Poirier had that in his game for most of his career including in the very first fight with Conor. I do think Conor is significantly more talented fighter prime for prime, but he hasn't done much and got finished TWICE by getting stunned on the feet at lightweight, not to mention the first fight was at featherweight too.

The best lightweight strikers in the history of lightweight division probably runs something like Pulver, Ludwig, Edwards, Masvidal, Cerrone, Pettis, Gomi, Sakurai, Hansen, BJ, Varner, Barboza, Gaethje, Diaz, Tony, Hooker and more grappler oriented guys like Oliveira, RDA, Eddie, Gil weren't so bad either, and there are obviously new up comers like Riddel and Fiziev.

Also on top of his skills, Poirier is super tough and durable. Some people think he's chinny, but the shots behind the ear can drop people even if they have a good chin, since it's not even on the chin, and the shot Poirier got caught with against MJ probably would've knocked out Mark Hunt too that was caught right on the button and Poirier's strike defense improved tremendously after. And that was it, 33 fights, finished by strikes twice, one which was avenged. I feel like the reason that Poirier sometimes gets hit flush and appears rocked has more to do with his style than anything, but he has that grit and endurance in him to keep fighting and still perform to the best of his ability. I don't think his chin or strike defense is as bad as some people make him out to be.

Like I said, I do think skill-wise Conor is significantly better than Poirier. And perhaps there are and has been more skilled strikers than Poirier. But if you take into consideration Poirier's accomplishments at LIGHTWEIGHT division, alongside his skills, finishing power, endurance, cardio and grit, I don't think it's far fetched to argue that Poirier is the best striker in the lightweight history.
MICHAEL JOHNSON

I disagree, I think Masvidal would pick Porrier apart at a distance. Porrier gets tagged pretty heavily in most fights, Masvidal barely gets touched, he has much better defence. Regarding Pettis, not sure what fight you're referring to, Pettis wilts a bit under pressure but in terms of technical ability he is more sound that Porrier.
Pettis is shit in striking lol. He only has flashy kicks.

I'd say top 5 definitely. I'd probably put PRIDE Gomi (less nuanced striking but dynamite hands), 2013 - 2017 Michael Johnson (unmatched hand speed, powerful), Edson (striking arsenal), and the Conor that fought Eddie up there as well as 2016 Cowboy.

Nope, but your conclusion just means you have a reading comprehension disability.
You never answered my question. You didn't list anyone above Dustin so one would just assume you think MJ is the better striker. Maybe you should elaborate on the TS's question more. Dustin has finished many guys who have great striking and chins, with strikes. One loss doesn't rewrite his accomplishments, nor make him below MJ.

Back