Is Dustin Poirier the best striker in the lw history?

Conor was piecing up Dustin easily until the leg kicks .. had Conor known how to properly defend against them = Conor would’ve ko’d Dustin .. if it stays standing = Conor will ko Dustin

YEah but Conor never does and did. You know kicks are part of the game. Dustin knocked him the fuck out with his right and no one gives him credit ffs.

That's.... actually a really tough question. In the entire history of LW, there hasn't been a truly great striker. If I'm looking at it in terms of ko's and style, gomi, Pettis, gulliard, and a few others probably trump him, but not by much.

Barboza has no heart. He gets cracked and finished gazillion times. Heart and chin and strike defense is part of the game.
??? He's only been finished by strikes 3x, and only 1 was clean Ko after a bad eyepoke

So, personally I think Conor is more talented striker prime for prime. I think there's a significant gap in there. However, Poirier just knocked out that that very Conor at lightweight, and Conor really hasn't done much at all at lightweight anyways. And funny enough, Poirier outlanded Conor even in the first fight before being clipped behind the ear as well, not to mention he was landing some low kicks on Conor in that first fight too.

I see some people saying oh Conor just have to defend that calf kicks and then he would've won. Well he didn't, and he got his shit pushed in. And Conor in his entire life never checked low kicks before, whereas Poirier had that in his game for most of his career including in the very first fight with Conor. I do think Conor is significantly more talented fighter prime for prime, but he hasn't done much and got finished TWICE by getting stunned on the feet at lightweight, not to mention the first fight was at featherweight too.

The best lightweight strikers in the history of lightweight division probably runs something like Pulver, Ludwig, Edwards, Masvidal, Cerrone, Pettis, Gomi, Sakurai, Hansen, BJ, Varner, Barboza, Gaethje, Diaz, Tony, Hooker and more grappler oriented guys like Oliveira, RDA, Eddie, Gil weren't so bad either, and there are obviously new up comers like Riddel and Fiziev.

Also on top of his skills, Poirier is super tough and durable. Some people think he's chinny, but the shots behind the ear can drop people even if they have a good chin, since it's not even on the chin, and the shot Poirier got caught with against MJ probably would've knocked out Mark Hunt too that was caught right on the button and Poirier's strike defense improved tremendously after. And that was it, 33 fights, finished by strikes twice, one which was avenged. I feel like the reason that Poirier sometimes gets hit flush and appears rocked has more to do with his style than anything, but he has that grit and endurance in him to keep fighting and still perform to the best of his ability. I don't think his chin or strike defense is as bad as some people make him out to be.

Like I said, I do think skill-wise Conor is significantly better than Poirier. And perhaps there are and has been more skilled strikers than Poirier. But if you take into consideration Poirier's accomplishments at LIGHTWEIGHT division, alongside his skills, finishing power, endurance, cardio and grit, I don't think it's far fetched to argue that Poirier is the best striker in the lightweight history.
No, he isn't. Sorry, he isn't even top 5 of all time

So, personally I think Conor is more talented striker prime for prime. I think there's a significant gap in there. However, Poirier just knocked out that that very Conor at lightweight, and Conor really hasn't done much at all at lightweight anyways. And funny enough, Poirier outlanded Conor even in the first fight before being clipped behind the ear as well, not to mention he was landing some low kicks on Conor in that first fight too.

I see some people saying oh Conor just have to defend that calf kicks and then he would've won. Well he didn't, and he got his shit pushed in. And Conor in his entire life never checked low kicks before, whereas Poirier had that in his game for most of his career including in the very first fight with Conor. I do think Conor is significantly more talented fighter prime for prime, but he hasn't done much and got finished TWICE by getting stunned on the feet at lightweight, not to mention the first fight was at featherweight too.

The best lightweight strikers in the history of lightweight division probably runs something like Pulver, Ludwig, Edwards, Masvidal, Cerrone, Pettis, Gomi, Sakurai, Hansen, BJ, Varner, Barboza, Gaethje, Diaz, Tony, Hooker and more grappler oriented guys like Oliveira, RDA, Eddie, Gil weren't so bad either, and there are obviously new up comers like Riddel and Fiziev.

Also on top of his skills, Poirier is super tough and durable. Some people think he's chinny, but the shots behind the ear can drop people even if they have a good chin, since it's not even on the chin, and the shot Poirier got caught with against MJ probably would've knocked out Mark Hunt too that was caught right on the button and Poirier's strike defense improved tremendously after. And that was it, 33 fights, finished by strikes twice, one which was avenged. I feel like the reason that Poirier sometimes gets hit flush and appears rocked has more to do with his style than anything, but he has that grit and endurance in him to keep fighting and still perform to the best of his ability. I don't think his chin or strike defense is as bad as some people make him out to be.

Like I said, I do think skill-wise Conor is significantly better than Poirier. And perhaps there are and has been more skilled strikers than Poirier. But if you take into consideration Poirier's accomplishments at LIGHTWEIGHT division, alongside his skills, finishing power, endurance, cardio and grit, I don't think it's far fetched to argue that Poirier is the best striker in the lightweight history.
You said it Konrag is significantly better skill wise. He's anderson level. He doesnt have the endurance or chin of Poirer. He was lighting up poirer in the first before the leg kicks killed him.

YEah but Conor never does and did. You know kicks are part of the game. Dustin knocked him the fuck out with his right and no one gives him credit ffs.

I feel a weakness to lowkicks is a pretty fundamental part of Conors game as well, that wide karate stance with one leg way out front is just begging to get kicked to hell.

If anything he's lucky he avoided it up to now, KOed Aldo fast and never really faced a good lowkicker besides him.

Last edited:
The "best striker in LW history" needed to shoot on Conor in the first 30 seconds so no, lol.

That's.... actually a really tough question. In the entire history of LW, there hasn't been a truly great striker. If I'm looking at it in terms of ko's and style, gomi, Pettis, gulliard, and a few others probably trump him, but not by much.

I mean, they miss that point. The LW has been the grappler's division mostly. Even BJ, he grapples against strikers. Gomi used to be a top game guy.

I mean combine skils+accomplishments+longevity, who's better?

The "best striker in LW history" needed to shoot on Conor in the first 30 seconds so no, lol.

Well Conor is a better striker by a significant margin in my opinion. But it's MMA. And I didn't say pound for pound best. You can mix it up. And Dustin shat on Conor at lightweight. Destroyed him. And Dustin did so much more at lightweight. Conor is like 1-3 at lightweight.

I feel a weakness to lowkicks is a pretty fundamental part of Conors game as well, that wide karate stance with one leg way out front is just begging to get kicked to hell.

If anything he's lucky he avoided it up to now, KOed Aldo fast and never really faced a good lowkicker besides him.

Yeah they are pretty delusional. Poirier was landing a lot more in the first fight too, low kicks included. And Poirier is a bigger man now. Poirier bulked up well, whereas Conor I'm not sure all that partying and inactivity really helped him bulked up properly. I'm sure Conor was a big featherweight too, but Poirier bulked up right throughout the years, whereas Conor...was doing Conor things.

Conor has never checked kicks in his entire life. I don't know why Conor fans think it would be easy to suddenly change your entire game and start checking kicks with like 7 week training camp.

??? He's only been finished by strikes 3x, and only 1 was clean Ko after a bad eyepoke

Heart and durability and accomplishments comes into play. Dustin has done much more at lightweight. I think Dustin beats Barboza down too if they were too fight. Terrible style match up for Barboza.

It's like no one watched prime BJ

I did, but Poirier has much better career longevity, better cardio, I think possibly better finisher on the feet.

I mean BJ would have an argument, but I think Poirier's career longevity and his skills to go along with him arguably edges BJ out.

Bj, if you think about it, he grapples against strikers too.

you think conor is better, but poirer is best?......................................

Back