Is Dustin Poirier the best striker in the lw history?

Pettis always had weak boxing, so not sure why he is being mentioned here.
Because Dustin's striking is more about absorbing punishment than skill. He can take it and dish it out but his technique is bush league

Well who's better, let me critique yours. I'm fairly sure I can do better job at critiqing your choice.

Conor's really only shown major weakness standing in the Nate fights and the Poirier rematch. He's not fought much at LW, but just based on the Alvarez and Cowboy fights (common sense) his FW striking transitioned well to LW. Most stand-up fights he's involved in are blowouts. But current Conor could be declined, maybe doesn't get back to that level or won't improve, so depends on how he does in his next few.

Poirier's faced way more top LW's and beat him last time, but overall against really everyone he's been more vulnerable to getting outstruck, dropped or KO'd. Wars. He's never really outclassed anyone. It's a grind.

Current Oliveira is difficult to beat standing, but has defensive weakness, shots get through his guard and he doesn't move his head, takes the full impact. Yet outside of getting dropped by Chandler he's been dominant on the feet for a while.

Don't get me wrong, Poirier is up there, he is very good, but if you look at the damage he takes it doesn't scream the best to me.

Pleasing the casuals who will respond to this thread. I hate Masvidal as much as the next guy, but he merits a mention I think, he's pretty technical.
Did you saw his fight against Thompson? Complete humiliation. Also usman destroyed him on striking in their recent fight and i still don't see him as a super good striker though he is very underrated

No. Just because he was getting the better of Conor in this fight, doesn't mean he was putting on the best striking of anyone. Come on, folks. One fight doesn't make one the GOAT or any other thing. This is a trend we need to stop after single fights. It should be a reflection of multiple fights against top level competition.

I think this thread might age poorly haha. Apparently Dustin is angling for a fight with Nate, probably thinking he got an easy money fight.

I think Nate can very well win that fight. Nate is a better boxer of the two by a fair margin, got better Jit also by considerable margin and got better cardio, also probably by a significant margin.

Poirier pretty much does the same thing in his entire fight career and I think it may depend on the ref. I can see Poirier hurting Nate, but I don't think he can put his lights out. It will hurt Poirier if he hurts Nate and tries to finish but can't.

Poirier is obviously going to use that low kicks and combination punching, but I can see Nate coming on strong late.

Unless Poirier gets a ref who likes to step in early, Nate can very well win this and this thread won't age that well lol.

Literally one combo in his arsenal,he is lucky god blessed him with punching power

Literally one combo in his arsenal,he is lucky god blessed him with punching power

I wouldn't necessarily say that, but he's been doing the same thing pretty much his entire fight.

But it's kinda funny how peoples' stocks can drop so much after one fight. But I guess it's like that in most combat sports.

That fight had to do with whether Oliveira could take Poirier's shots. He could and that was all she wrote.

I do think Poirier's that front roll did him in and getting pounded probably got him drained enough for that RNC

That was such a stupid mistake, but it is what it is. I think like someone said, maybe he panicked, but still. And that closed guard..

Conor's really only shown major weakness standing in the Nate fights and the Poirier rematch. He's not fought much at LW, but just based on the Alvarez and Cowboy fights (common sense) his FW striking transitioned well to LW. Most stand-up fights he's involved in are blowouts. But current Conor could be declined, maybe doesn't get back to that level or won't improve, so depends on how he does in his next few.

Poirier's faced way more top LW's and beat him last time, but overall against really everyone he's been more vulnerable to getting outstruck, dropped or KO'd. Wars. He's never really outclassed anyone. It's a grind.

Current Oliveira is difficult to beat standing, but has defensive weakness, shots get through his guard and he doesn't move his head, takes the full impact. Yet outside of getting dropped by Chandler he's been dominant on the feet for a while.

Don't get me wrong, Poirier is up there, he is very good, but if you look at the damage he takes it doesn't scream the best to me.

Like I said, Conor is significantly better prime for prime.

But if you look at the accomplishments and the skillset, it wasn't far fetched to say that he may have been the best striker in LW history. Conor is like 1-3 at lightweight.

Dustin's hittable you say, but his defense improved a lot, and when you fight like he does, it's hard to look like Mayweather.

He may very well lose to Nate though. When you say someone's the best striker at lw, you have to consider skillset and accomplishments, and Dustin has a very strong resume at LW still and if you combine them all, it's not far fetched to say he's the best striker in lw history, which has mostly been the wrestler division.

For example, Nate is a journeyman.

However, Poirier did much more and much better resume at LW.

But, Nate is significantly better boxer, better BJJ and better cardio but glaring weakness to low kicks.

But Poirier does have power edge and has that low kick going.

Like I said, it depends on the ref, but if Poirier can't finish Nate, he could look bad again.

But you have to take into consideration what he was able to do and achieve.

Like Conor, yes he's probably significantly better striker, but he's 1-3 at lightweight, or is it 1-4 now, not sure.

I mean, I don't even necessarily like Poirier. Just a thought, I guess.

But IF you combine skillset and achievement, who's really better?

That's a tough question.

I mean, who got him beat as the top striker at lightweight of all time with accomplishment AND skillset?

It's easy to shit on Poirier's shortcomings, because it's there, but he's durable and got enough offense for it to make up for it and his defense did improve a lot. But his style, with his style, he's going to end up taking some punches to face and not look the prettiest.

With that said, I do think Poirier think Nate is easy money fight, but I think Nate can make Poirier look really bad. Not counting out Poirier since he has power and Nate is inactive and old, bad combination, but Nate has everything to beat Poirier.

Poirier will obviously go to the legs but..

Like I said, Conor is significantly better prime for prime.

But if you look at the accomplishments and the skillset, it wasn't far fetched to say that he may have been the best striker in LW history. Conor is like 1-3 at lightweight.

Dustin's hittable you say, but his defense improved a lot, and when you fight like he does, it's hard to look like Mayweather.

He may very well lose to Nate though. When you say someone's the best striker at lw, you have to consider skillset and accomplishments, and Dustin has a very strong resume at LW still and if you combine them all, it's not far fetched to say he's the best striker in lw history, which has mostly been the wrestler division.
I think prime for prime Poirier I think is slightly better - i.e. 2015 Conor vs 2020 Poirier. To me Conor was whooping people early on due to how easy it was to read MMA kickboxers(flatfooted and conventional as he put it), while he was using unorthodox angles to time those strikes perfectly. The rest of the FW and LW division improved their game and Conor just stagnated over the years.

I think prime for prime Poirier I think is slightly better - i.e. 2015 Conor vs 2020 Poirier. To me Conor was whooping people early on due to how easy it was to read MMA kickboxers(flatfooted and conventional as he put it), while he was using unorthodox angles to time those strikes perfectly. The rest of the FW and LW division improved their game and Conor just stagnated over the years.

oh rare Poirier support I dig it, not a big fan of people who abandon fighters after one bad fight.

With that said, talent wise, I personally think Conor is a couple tiers above Dustin, but just my opinion.

Dustin beat Conor twice and what matters is what happened, not could've, should'ves.

oh rare Poirier support I dig it, not a big fan of people who abandon fighters after one bad fight.

With that said, talent wise, I personally think Conor is a couple tiers above Dustin, but just my opinion.

Dustin beat Conor twice and what matters is what happened, not could've, should'ves.
Natural talents only gets you to the belt but you need more to dominate your division. Not sure if you noticed that lately Conor has shifted his fight game to those he used to shit on, now he's more flat footed, HEAVILY focused on powerful striking techniques, desperate to put opponents away quickly, and inefficient with his defense and stamina etc.

Haha you'd be surprised to hear that Im still a Conor fan at this point, only because he's still entertaining to watch, and hasn't given us a single boring fight yet.

Back