Is Dustin Poirier the best striker in the lw history?

JustOnce

On Hiatus
Double Yellow Card
Reaction score
So, personally I think Conor is more talented striker prime for prime. I think there's a significant gap in there. However, Poirier just knocked out that that very Conor at lightweight, and Conor really hasn't done much at all at lightweight anyways. And funny enough, Poirier outlanded Conor even in the first fight before being clipped behind the ear as well, not to mention he was landing some low kicks on Conor in that first fight too.

I see some people saying oh Conor just have to defend that calf kicks and then he would've won. Well he didn't, and he got his shit pushed in. And Conor in his entire life never checked low kicks before, whereas Poirier had that in his game for most of his career including in the very first fight with Conor. I do think Conor is significantly more talented fighter prime for prime, but he hasn't done much and got finished TWICE by getting stunned on the feet at lightweight, not to mention the first fight was at featherweight too.

The best lightweight strikers in the history of lightweight division probably runs something like Pulver, Ludwig, Edwards, Masvidal, Cerrone, Pettis, Gomi, Sakurai, Hansen, BJ, Varner, Barboza, Gaethje, Diaz, Tony, Hooker and more grappler oriented guys like Oliveira, RDA, Eddie, Gil weren't so bad either, and there are obviously new up comers like Riddel and Fiziev.

Also on top of his skills, Poirier is super tough and durable. Some people think he's chinny, but the shots behind the ear can drop people even if they have a good chin, since it's not even on the chin, and the shot Poirier got caught with against MJ probably would've knocked out Mark Hunt too that was caught right on the button and Poirier's strike defense improved tremendously after. And that was it, 33 fights, finished by strikes twice, one which was avenged. I feel like the reason that Poirier sometimes gets hit flush and appears rocked has more to do with his style than anything, but he has that grit and endurance in him to keep fighting and still perform to the best of his ability. I don't think his chin or strike defense is as bad as some people make him out to be.

Like I said, I do think skill-wise Conor is significantly better than Poirier. And perhaps there are and has been more skilled strikers than Poirier. But if you take into consideration Poirier's accomplishments at LIGHTWEIGHT division, alongside his skills, finishing power, endurance, cardio and grit, I don't think it's far fetched to argue that Poirier is the best striker in the lightweight history.

Nah, the MJ 1st round ko loss to sleep still holds a fresh memory stain still.
Dustin is gonna have to do a bit more than this to erase that.
going rock'em sock'em with Dan the punching bag hooker into a decision is not a good look either.
Lol yeah, that was one of the sloppiest ranked fights ever. Entertaining but bush league AF.

You need to say who the best lw striker is so I can critique it too.

This is MMA. This ain't boxing. And you can get caught in MMA with small ass gloves and people improve.

Do say who you think the best lw striker is

The constant threat and Conor could do nootin, another washed up bum trying to sell some shit

I never said he's one of the best evers, I just listed strikers who would be considered best, I guess, good or however you wanna run with it.

Pleasing the casuals who will respond to this thread. I hate Masvidal as much as the next guy, but he merits a mention I think, he's pretty technical.

Fair enough, I originally was going to mention Conor but realised if we're talking solely at LW he probably didn't do enough there to warrant a mention.

I'm a Dustin fan and immediately thought "No way would it be Dustin" but it's hard to give a clear cut answer as to who else it could be.

Last edited:
Fair enough, I originally was going to mention Conor but realised if we're talking solely at LW he probably didn't do enough there to warrant a mention.

I'm a Dustin fan and immediately thought "No way would it be Dustin" but it's hard to give a clear cut answer as to who else it could be.

Damn I've been on Sherdog for last 16 years, first time someone quoting self. Cool stuff. lol

So, personally I think Conor is more talented striker prime for prime. I think there's a significant gap in there. However, Poirier just knocked out that that very Conor at lightweight, and Conor really hasn't done much at all at lightweight anyways. And funny enough, Poirier outlanded Conor even in the first fight before being clipped behind the ear as well, not to mention he was landing some low kicks on Conor in that first fight too.

I see some people saying oh Conor just have to defend that calf kicks and then he would've won. Well he didn't, and he got his shit pushed in. And Conor in his entire life never checked low kicks before, whereas Poirier had that in his game for most of his career including in the very first fight with Conor. I do think Conor is significantly more talented fighter prime for prime, but he hasn't done much and got finished TWICE by getting stunned on the feet at lightweight, not to mention the first fight was at featherweight too.

The best lightweight strikers in the history of lightweight division probably runs something like Pulver, Ludwig, Edwards, Masvidal, Cerrone, Pettis, Gomi, Sakurai, Hansen, BJ, Varner, Barboza, Gaethje, Diaz, Tony, Hooker and more grappler oriented guys like Oliveira, RDA, Eddie, Gil weren't so bad either, and there are obviously new up comers like Riddel and Fiziev.

Also on top of his skills, Poirier is super tough and durable. Some people think he's chinny, but the shots behind the ear can drop people even if they have a good chin, since it's not even on the chin, and the shot Poirier got caught with against MJ probably would've knocked out Mark Hunt too that was caught right on the button and Poirier's strike defense improved tremendously after. And that was it, 33 fights, finished by strikes twice, one which was avenged. I feel like the reason that Poirier sometimes gets hit flush and appears rocked has more to do with his style than anything, but he has that grit and endurance in him to keep fighting and still perform to the best of his ability. I don't think his chin or strike defense is as bad as some people make him out to be.

Like I said, I do think skill-wise Conor is significantly better than Poirier. And perhaps there are and has been more skilled strikers than Poirier. But if you take into consideration Poirier's accomplishments at LIGHTWEIGHT division, alongside his skills, finishing power, endurance, cardio and grit, I don't think it's far fetched to argue that Poirier is the best striker in the lightweight history.
I think Gaethje is the best striker. His combination of boxing and leg kicks does it for me. I know he lost to Dustin and Eddie but he's been working hard and improving his boxing. He also has changed his fighting style so he's fighting smarter in there. Conor has very good hands but he doesn't use his kicking effectively and obviously he's very susceptible to leg kicks with that stance.

Also note some of Conor's best achievements were at FW.

Ask Dustin about that great striker Michael Johnson and see who it is.

Back