is bjj the same thing as kosen judo

azjudoboxer said:
Not at that time no, boxing wasnt practiced like it is today

If we are talking about rules of competition then yes you are correct. However any effective combat art has live sparring. what about wrestling, come on, wrestlign had full out sparring.

how the fuck are you guys not sick of discussing this bullshit? get back on the fucking mats and stop wasting your time.

nah, as long as it is a civilized debate there is nothign wrong with it.

most throws were originally ment to harm if not kill an opponent and at the very least set them up for a finishing technique.

Judo throws, if you have the skill to execute them are very effective in a street fight. Not many guys are going to get up from a Judo throw onto concrete or gravel. Especially if the guy your throwing doesn't know how to fall.

I've never seen one, but when we are doing JJ as self-defense, the instructor always mixes in Judo throws as an option. Mainly because you can take out the dude and still be standing when his bubbies jump in.

I've thrown a guy in fight ( i used to bounce in college) this guy was so stunned an arm bar was EASY to apply

you were being nice and "pulled him" before he hit the floor right? You should have just slammmed his punk assk ;)

Uh oh, zombie thread ahoy. And a 2 year old one at that. :(

Other than the last couple of pages this thread has been awesome, great information.

The way I see it JJJ is to Judo and BJJ as The Jewish Faith is to Christianity and Islam. They are all the same really, but still different.

i guess they have some similar qualities, but there isnt really anything that similar to bjj.. unless you count sub wrestling which is just nogi

I practice Judo right now and have done BJJ. I freely admit that BJJ comes from Judo but Judo also comes from the schools of JJ that Kano learned from. The bottom line is this, if you were to show most experienced Judoka a quality Judo book on ne-waza like "higher Judo" they wouldn't know most of the moves.

No, BJJ it's not the same as Kosen judo

Kosen judo you can win with Ippon from Throws, Pin , Choke and Armlocks and allow any kind of Hikkomi (the action of pull a guy to the ground).

No Leglock, No wristlock, No point for Backmount, reversal or passin guard

BJJ you can win by submission or by points (from throws and position)

--------------

As far as the technique goes, they Share a lot that's because :

- They both derived from Kodokan Judo
- They both are focused on ground fighting

Here some video for People who havent seen KOSEN JUDO (but a lot of them still posted argument about it without knowing it)

kosen judo - Google Video

Wow- I read through all eight pages of that and all I can say is: Jeez- I really miss bjj.org? Does anyone else remember when that site was amalgamated with onthemat? That was about 3 years ago, those were the days.

Wow- I read through all eight pages of that and all I can say is: Jeez- I really miss bjj.org? Does anyone else remember when that site was amalgamated with onthemat? That was about 3 years ago, those were the days.

But now bjj people are now learning judo, alot of the pages were people insulting judo as a joke compare to bjj.

this is what I find... it was in spanish, its a google translation, (im too lazy to translate the whole thing, but its pretty accurate for what I could read)

Kosen Judo has the same projections and other techniques of Kodokan judo but stresses much work newaza (judo techniques such as soil, locks and chokes), giving greater scope in carrying out the same as in the battles of Kodokan Judo . Judo is a style that is widespread, some even see in it a clear relationship with the birth of Gracie Jiu-Jitsu or Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, a fact that is not entirely proven.

The birth of this style of judo takes place at universities in Japan that had judokas lighter and smaller than others, at a time when competition is not yet differentiated pesos. These judokas found it much harder to win the battles for projection. So focused on newaza (Judo ground work) as a way of getting points in competitions.

During the evolution of this style Kosen Judo and until he adapted to the Kodokan judo, they were dominated in numerous competitions for style Kosen (Kyoto University was its greatest exponent in front of the Kodokan Judo in Tokyo, beating the first up to 16 times from 1926 to 1943-the beginning of World War 2-). So much so that Jigoro Kano himself had to intervene by establishing, in just these competitions, three new rules: the limitation of time the Judoka could stay on the ground, and the new rule that anyone who throws his opponent in three sometimes be proclaimed winner of the bout. In 1925 Kano these rules would extend to all the judo competitions.

Later Jigoro Kano Judo championships organized for universities Kosen, leaving this style of martial art sports both defined as Kosen Taikai. In this style practiced until today in schools of Japan and around the world will not respect the time limits of grip on the floor.

The style Kosen Judo was always associated with the imperial universities, those closely connected with the Japanese army. The presence of the Americans after their victory in World War 2 was higher in these universities associated with the Japanese military, so they paid close attention to this style.

Jigoro Kano always respected practice Kosen schools, and these continued their training course as they had done since the early twentieth century. Even today in Japan is celebrated Seven Universities Tournament (Kosen) in which the fighting is governed by the old rules. Kano when he introduced the new rules was careful not to delete the Kosen Taikai, for several reasons:

Back