is bjj the same thing as kosen judo

Alot of misconceptions here...

1. Fusen Ryu Jujutsu looks nothing like BJJ.. Sure it had Ground Submissions but those submissions were sloppy/ugly and the art itself was filled with dangerous techniques such as groin strikes, eye gouges. These are the techniques Kano himself took out of his style of Jujutsu, not triangle chokes, leg submissions, and flying armbars.Ground fighting techniques were revolutionized by Judo players and now most currently Brasilian Jiu Jitsu players.

2. Kosen Judo students did develop a strong ground game during their existence and Kimura himself was a member of a Kosen College team (see his bio at judoinfo.com) and can be seen on the Kosen/Koshen Judo tapes. From those tapes you'll see open guard variations such as delariva/jello guard, spider gard, sweeps, etc. Kosen is a judo game just like olympic judo is a judo game and in my opinion sport bjj is a judo game. The difference in rules for kosen and bjj is in kosen you start on the ground, while in bjj you start standing, and in Kosen you can win by either pin or submission. Jorge Medhi who is a student of Kimura's and studied judo at a japanese college with Kimura, is thought to have influenced techniques in BJJ since alot of his students cross trained with the gracie academy from the 50's to curently. Again, the triangle choke wasn't even used in sport bjj until the 1970's, and it was pulled from one of Rolls Gracie's students from a old Judo book.

3. Kano never wanted judo to be completely a sport but rather a martial art with a sporting attitude, i.e. Tapping to a submission, bowing to your opponent and thanking him for competing with you. One of his early books calls Judo, Judo: Japans form of Self Defense. However at its beginnning, judo had many playeres who seriously injured each other because of the lack of sporting attitude and slowly but surely techniques such as leg locks and other silly rules were beginning to be banned from japanese tournaments. These techniques however thrived in europe, so when the sambo revolution arrived in europe during the 60's and 70's, many european judoka were somewhat successful in the russian tournaments. All the rule changes have been made by the kodokan itself in order to promote sporting attitude, but it has seemed to backfire as olmypic judo is a watered down version of Judo the Martial Art. Many Modern Judo Dojos might as well change their names to Tachi Waza ryu Judo.

4. Judo or Kano Ryu Jiu Jitsu (Jujutsu) is a complete self defense/Martial art system that includes striking, throwing, and ground fighting techniques. The striking was taking out of sport judo but was still intended to be part of judo, or else Kano would have never had it in his system in the first place. Judo's advantage over other systems was randori (resistance sparring/training). Modern Judo is primarily teaching olympic judo and is thus focusing on 1/3 of the art itself.

5. JuJutsu (jiu Jitsu) is not a ground fighting martial art. Jiu Jitsu isn't one style, and it is actually the Japanese equivalent of the word "martial art." Different Samurai families taught different styles and these systems survived into modern japan. Kano mastered a few of these styles and took the best parts of it and created his style, but with a focus on sparring or randori. Kano also created the Gi, and belt ranking system. He is a frigging innovator for God sakes and is solely responsible for the seeds of his art to be planted in Brasil and grow pure away from the politics of theKodokan and IJF. When Maeda reached Brazil, Judo and Jiu Jitsu were still used interchangeably in Japan being Judo was only around 20 years old, but he definately taught Carlos Gracie Judo, and all the early judo dojos in brazil still retain the word jiu jitsu to describe their art. BJJ can not possibly be from any one lineage of jiu jitsu except for Kano Ryu Jiu Jitsu.

Different rules, Same martial art.

That was one awesome read Fozzit. Very informative.

Fusen-Ryu Jujutsu was founded by Takeda Motsuge in the early 1800's. Motsuge was born in 1794 in Matsuyama Japan. He studied jujutsu since a young age and by his late teens was considered a shihan and was teaching in Aki. He had studied Nanba Ippo-Ryu from Takahashi Inobei. He also studied Takenouchi, Sekiguchi, Yoshin, Shibukawa, and Yagyu-Ryu during his lifetime. As his style came together at about the same time as the dissolution of the Samurai class, it developed mostly toward unarmed combat. Fusen-Ryu finally became an art that focused almost exclusively on ground fighting.(this may have only been in several branch schools, as certain other branch schools of Fusen-Ryu still exist today, and they do not focus on newaza).

Around the turn of the 20th century, the Fusen-Ryu master Mataemon Tanabe challenged a new jujutsu master to the area - Kano Jigoro. His new jujutsu style had challenged several of the old style Jujutsu schools to contest and had beaten them easily. So Mataemon Tanabe's school fought Kano's school and won every match - not trying to throw, but going right to the ground and doing armlocks, leg locks, chokes, etc. Thus was the real birth of newaza as a science. Kano was so fascinated with the ease his judoka were beaten that he persuaded (and perhaps paid) Tanabe to reveal the core of his technical strategy. Over the next few years, Kano assigned several of his top students to focus exclusively on this newaza. Soon, newaza was "absorbed" as part of the Judo syllabus, and Judo began to spread across the world.
After having several of his top students become newaza experts, Kano thought it a good idea to use this type of Judo in the school system. As the matches ended in submission instead of serious injury, it would be seen more in a sportive way. So in 1914 he organized the All Japan High School championships at Kyoto Imperial University. He called this sportive style Kosen. By 1925 so much emphasis was on newaza - because of its success in contest that Kano had to make some new Judo rules limiting the amount of time the Judoka could stay on the ground. This "Kosen Rule" continued into the 1940's, stating Shiai had to be 70% standing and 30% ground fighting. This led to an early split in the Kodokan Judo movement. Many of those Judoka whom Kano had set to master newaza, had spent time inventing new series of movements, escapes, and submissions. They and their students were now dominating even the Kodokan contests. There was so much negativity with this, that Kano sent many of them abroad to teach Judo elsewhere. He was very aware that they would not be easily defeated no matter where they went, and he also smartly removed the challenge they presented in Japan. Some of the known Kosen Judoka were Yamashita, Hirata, Tomita, Yokoyama and Maeda.

http://www.geocities.com/ibfaustralia/jujutsu.html

Fusen-Ryu Jujutsu was founded by Takeda Motsuge in the early 1800's. The ryu was based on his early jujutsu teachings (he was already considered a Shihan by his later teens). The most influential schools he had trained were the Nanba Ippo (from Takahashi Inobei), Takenouchi, Sekiguchi, Yoshin, Shibukawa, and Yagyu-Ryu. The dissolution of the Samurai class came about at the same time of the Fusen-ryu founding, and the banning of armed combat probably contributed heavily for its development and emphasis in unarmed combat techniques.

By the end of the 19th century another school of Jujutsu was getting prominence, beating several older schools in consecutive matches. This school was founded by Jigoro Kano, and was called Kodokan Judo. Mataemon Tanabe, then the Fusen-Ryu master, challenged Kano school and his students won every match. Much to Kano´s surprise, they did not attempt throwing techniques, but rather went straight to the ground, and applied newaza (grappling) submissions as arm-locks, leg-locks, pins, and chokes. Kano being very open-minded, was so fascinated by the Fusen-ryu effectiveness, that he persuaded Tanabe to teach kodokan students the concepts of his ryu´s strategy. Kano had consistently invited the heads of every jujutsu ryu he encountered to incorporate their teachings into the Kodokan curriculum. The newaza component however became a major part of judo influencing its development greatly. Among these early students were prominent to be Kodokan judokas by the likes of Yoshiaki Yamashita, Hirata Kanae, Tsunejiro Tomita, Sakujiro Yokoyama and Maeda, the latter being the one who eventually taught Judo to the Gracie family, which would later develop into Brazilian jiu-jitsu (jiu-jitsu is actually a misspelling of Jujutsu).

http://www.the-encyclopedia.com/description/Kosen_judo

we don't know what Fusen-Ryu looked like per say but we do know this, When they went up against kano's judo boys they 1) pulled guard and 2) tapped them. I don't know about you but to me that sounds alot like BJJ.

So what, many pre-olympic judo ka would pull people down. It is a old judo technique and obviously predates judo. There are a few fusen ryu schools around today and it looks nothing like bjj or judo. Sure Judo had a weak ground game compared to fusen ryu at that point (which was real early in Judo's history), and there is no denying that Kano took techniques out of kito ryu, tenshin ryu, and daito ryu and later added moves from tanabe, but once the techniques were added, they were later modified and refined. But they weren't all of the newaza techniques, and eventually fusen ryu became inferior to judo (actually prety quickly).

blanko said:
http://www.geocities.com/ibfaustralia/jujutsu.html

http://www.the-encyclopedia.com/description/Kosen_judo

we don't know what Fusen-Ryu looked like per say but we do know this, When they went up against kano's judo boys they 1) pulled guard and 2) tapped them. I don't know about you but to me that sounds alot like BJJ.

I would say that BJJ sounds a lot like that, not the other way around. Its interesting that now everything looks like BJJ, as if it had existed before every other grappling art. It is the source and everything else must be a derivative or just co-incidentally have the same moves. The idea that the Gracies created all these positions and moves is a testament to their marketing ability. I envision one day that a kid will see someone doing a double leg takedown, and will then exclaim "That looks a lot like BJJ! He must have learned that from ____ Academy!"........

No there not the same, the two are probabyl the closest to each other of any of the grappling arts around today. Kosen judo as it's practiced today (which is what I do) is the closest to the way Judo was originally intended before the shift to international sport happened

The problem with many judo clubs, and what most bjj guys see is the heavily sport emphasized judo, traditional pre ww2 judo and kosen is much much more complete and effective MA

fozzit said:
Alot of misconceptions here...

1. Fusen Ryu Jujutsu looks nothing like BJJ.. Sure it had Ground Submissions but those submissions were sloppy/ugly and the art itself was filled with dangerous techniques such as groin strikes, eye gouges. These are the techniques Kano himself took out of his style of Jujutsu, not triangle chokes, leg submissions, and flying armbars.Ground fighting techniques were revolutionized by Judo players and now most currently Brasilian Jiu Jitsu players.

2. Kosen Judo students did develop a strong ground game during their existence and Kimura himself was a member of a Kosen College team (see his bio at judoinfo.com) and can be seen on the Kosen/Koshen Judo tapes. From those tapes you'll see open guard variations such as delariva/jello guard, spider gard, sweeps, etc. Kosen is a judo game just like olympic judo is a judo game and in my opinion sport bjj is a judo game. The difference in rules for kosen and bjj is in kosen you start on the ground, while in bjj you start standing, and in Kosen you can win by either pin or submission. Jorge Medhi who is a student of Kimura's and studied judo at a japanese college with Kimura, is thought to have influenced techniques in BJJ since alot of his students cross trained with the gracie academy from the 50's to curently. Again, the triangle choke wasn't even used in sport bjj until the 1970's, and it was pulled from one of Rolls Gracie's students from a old Judo book.

3. Kano never wanted judo to be completely a sport but rather a martial art with a sporting attitude, i.e. Tapping to a submission, bowing to your opponent and thanking him for competing with you. One of his early books calls Judo, Judo: Japans form of Self Defense. However at its beginnning, judo had many playeres who seriously injured each other because of the lack of sporting attitude and slowly but surely techniques such as leg locks and other silly rules were beginning to be banned from japanese tournaments. These techniques however thrived in europe, so when the sambo revolution arrived in europe during the 60's and 70's, many european judoka were somewhat successful in the russian tournaments. All the rule changes have been made by the kodokan itself in order to promote sporting attitude, but it has seemed to backfire as olmypic judo is a watered down version of Judo the Martial Art. Many Modern Judo Dojos might as well change their names to Tachi Waza ryu Judo.

4. Judo or Kano Ryu Jiu Jitsu (Jujutsu) is a complete self defense/Martial art system that includes striking, throwing, and ground fighting techniques. The striking was taking out of sport judo but was still intended to be part of judo, or else Kano would have never had it in his system in the first place. Judo's advantage over other systems was randori (resistance sparring/training). Modern Judo is primarily teaching olympic judo and is thus focusing on 1/3 of the art itself.

5. JuJutsu (jiu Jitsu) is not a ground fighting martial art. Jiu Jitsu isn't one style, and it is actually the Japanese equivalent of the word "martial art." Different Samurai families taught different styles and these systems survived into modern japan. Kano mastered a few of these styles and took the best parts of it and created his style, but with a focus on sparring or randori. Kano also created the Gi, and belt ranking system. He is a frigging innovator for God sakes and is solely responsible for the seeds of his art to be planted in Brasil and grow pure away from the politics of theKodokan and IJF. When Maeda reached Brazil, Judo and Jiu Jitsu were still used interchangeably in Japan being Judo was only around 20 years old, but he definately taught Carlos Gracie Judo, and all the early judo dojos in brazil still retain the word jiu jitsu to describe their art. BJJ can not possibly be from any one lineage of jiu jitsu except for Kano Ryu Jiu Jitsu.

Different rules, Same martial art.

VampireMonk said:
I bet the Kosen guys are far behind the brazilians,

my understanding is that they were almost extinct at one point, compared to BJJ
which is only growing.

wow, way to be narrow minded

VampireMonk said:
yeah pin the guy for 30 sec for a point,
that makes the grappling on the ground less pure than BJJ.

Your'e not even looking at the threads are you asshole? Real Judo is not about pinning, i've learned lots of subs, leg locks, and chokes in Judo as many as i would in BJJ

Bubble Boy said:
I think it's important to understand that Kano didn't invent the techniques in Judo. He compiled them from other sources. He even borrowed techniques from western wrestling. It's also important to note that he compiled them from many different ju-jitsu styles in Japan at the time, of which there were hundreds. Of the systems that had groundfighting as part of their curriculum, he would pick the most effective techniques. When Maeda went to Brazil he was taking this distillation of all the ju-jitsu's as taught by Kodokan Judo at the time, and Kodokan Judo at the time was a strong newaza discipline. Fushen Ryu was one of the many styles absorbed by Judo.

What made Judo revolutionary was not the techniques, but the system of putting them together and training.

If you mean by randori you mean "live sparring", i have to disagree, common sense dictates that Fusen-Ryu had randori. How else would you practice grappling? It's common sense. Kano might have put a new name on something and called it "randori" but anyone with half a brain cell knows that when it comes to grappling(ground or takedowns) you need to spar.

Judo didnt get sparring from Fusen Ryu, it did it before the Fusen Ryu matches. Judo was the 1st large scale MA to have randori be a constant part of training

I read somewhere that de la Riva revolutionalized the guard play of jiu-jitsu. something along the lines that old school BJJ had a very bad guard and they very rarely used it for submissions etc? can any one elaborate on this?

I know for a fact that de la Riva style BJJ is slightly differnt to say gracie barras approach.
I wonder if it differs from Carlson gracie's or BTT?

Team De La Riva UK
Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu & M.M.A
sponsored by
http://www.gameness.com.br/

azjudoboxer said:
Judo didnt get sparring from Fusen Ryu, it did it before the Fusen Ryu matches. Judo was the 1st large scale MA to have randori be a constant part of training

no, my question was do you think that western wresting/boxing had "sparring"?

TDLRUK said:
I read somewhere that de la Riva revolutionalized the guard play of jiu-jitsu. something along the lines that old school BJJ had a very bad guard and they very rarely used it for submissions etc? can any one elaborate on this?

I know for a fact that de la Riva style BJJ is slightly differnt to say gracie barras approach.
I wonder if it differs from Carlson gracie's or BTT?

well it is said that dlr perfered to attack from teh guard instead of sweeping and gettign into dominant position from teh guard.

blanko said:
no, my question was do you think that western wresting/boxing had "sparring"?

Not at that time no, boxing wasnt practiced like it is today

Back