Is BJJ effective in street fights?

Oh, this thread...

? I was referring to the effectiveness of wrestling in a streetfight based on my experiences. I have no wrestling background personally but saw guys getting dropped on pavement and it was pretty effective.

Oh, my bad sorry man

"special forces not being able to adapt to the unified rules of MMA " . Why cant they ? Link ?

I think I saw it a long time ago and only briefly, but I would guess that they are talking about walking into a MMA fight with special forces background only against a MMA fighter. Without prior MMA training experience, the special forces guy would not be able to immediately adapt to the unified rules in the fight.

I don't think they are saying that with MMA training, the special forces guys can't adapt. Just that without training, their skills/training to kill/maim does not immediately adapt to MMA rules.

How wouldn't it be? Have you ever rolled against a big new guy at the gym because laughable how easy shit is on them. I think there are a lot of variables such as size, strength, and overall willingness to fuck the guy up and win the fight, but to think bjj isn't useful in a street fight is just stupid

~DaViD~

Yes you can get a perfect takedown and ground and pound the shit out of someone or choke him, assuming you don't get punched in the neck and crap your pants, assuming you don't take a dive yourself into concrete... Anything can happen.

I sparred a wrestler once, who took a dive..

I think I saw it a long time ago and only briefly, but I would guess that they are talking about walking into a MMA fight with special forces background only against a MMA fighter. Without prior MMA training experience, the special forces guy would not be able to immediately adapt to the unified rules in the fight.

I don't think they are saying that with MMA training, the special forces guys can't adapt. Just that without training, their skills/training to kill/maim does not immediately adapt to MMA rules.

Tim Kennedy talked about this in a podcast (Given he had a special forces background). I'll have to see if I can find it. He essentially said that special forces guys get the bare minimum in hth combat because they are weapons first (long gun, pistol, knife in that order). They are trained to take out opposition with minimum effort and noise and hth fights like we see in the movies are pretty unrealistic.

He also said that there were guys that specialized in hth fighting in the special forces but that was a personal choice not a military requirement.

Gun beats kung fu every time...

And jail beats gun, for people who appreciate freedom.

I was referring to military idioms, not streetfighting...

I am however a gun owner in Canada (that's an oxymoron in itself). It's crazy the hoops you have to go through here to privately own pistols.

We also need to know more variables, are they of equal size?

Khabib is not going to take down Wladimir Kitchko. Wladimir is probably picking him up.

In any street fight and I have no other choice, I preferred boxing and muay thai. In general, street fights are risky and I always try to avoid it at all cost. If I seriously got myself corner, I'll just use my Glock 19. Don't have time to fight or risk it.

Just speaking as a blue belt, if it got to the ground in a street fight, he was untrained, and I had the top position I'm pretty confident I could finish it from there, even if he was significantly larger than me. Problem is tho my takedowns suck and we don't train them with resistance at my gym, we just drill. There's also the matter of whether he's carrying a knife on him, and also I've never experienced an adrenaline rush that comes with being in a real fight, so I dunno how that would affect me.

But... In general, jiu jitsu should work in a street fight just as well as anything else. Every standard style that you see in mma has its own set of holes when it comes to a real fight.

See what they do in hockey fights? Do that. Never failed me as long as I lead with a jab before grabbing on the shoulder and pulling the shirt down and ideally over the head. Then come the bombs. Saying that, I witnessed a good brawl back in my teens. The local bully/tough guy meathead went after an acquaintance that was a very successful olympic-style weightlifter. The meathead did some boxing and taekwondo (at least he wore the club jackets) and could def throw hands. As soon as they threw a few punches and the lifter managed to get his hands on the meathead, he literally grabbed him in a bodylock and threw him on his melon. The meathead was out cold and the fight was over. Moral of the story: in my experience and observations, the shirt grab and ol’ over/under bombs or olympic lifting are the best equalizers in a street fight.

I was referring to military idioms, not streetfighting...

I am however a gun owner in Canada (that's an oxymoron in itself). It's crazy the hoops you have to go through here to privately own pistols.
You make regulation of firearms sound like a bad thing, which it really isnt. Guns is serious business, and not something lunatics should be given.
Tim Kennedy talked about this in a podcast (Given he had a special forces background). I'll have to see if I can find it. He essentially said that special forces guys get the bare minimum in hth combat because they are weapons first (long gun, pistol, knife in that order). They are trained to take out opposition with minimum effort and noise and hth fights like we see in the movies are pretty unrealistic.

He also said that there were guys that specialized in hth fighting in the special forces but that was a personal choice not a military requirement.

Gun beats kung fu every time...
The military does dog shit HTH combat training, and I never understand why people think military training is some kind of standard. They use weapons like you say, so they spend 30 hours total in their career practicing unarmed combat. 30 hours. Thats what a hobbyist gets in 2 months of training in BJJ. Of course military guys can't compete in UFC, they have almost zero skill.

You make regulation of firearms sound like a bad thing, which it really isnt. Guns is serious business, and not something lunatics should be given.

The military does dog shit HTH combat training, and I never understand why people think military training is some kind of standard. They use weapons like you say, so they spend 30 hours total in their career practicing unarmed combat. 30 hours. Thats what a hobbyist gets in 2 months of training in BJJ. Of course military guys can't compete in UFC, they have almost zero skill.

I wasn't complaining about firearm requirements. Trust me, when us Canadians watch the news and see how little gun related crime there is in Canada compared to the US, we breath a sigh of relief.

I don't know what country you hail from but here there are courses, background checks and then a set of rules and checks that are intended to prevent firearms abuse. The irony is, all of the illegal guns in Canada are smuggled in through the US. There is a story on the news about a former US soldier that took advantage of his Nexus pass to smuggle multiple pistols into Windsor. Several of the guns he smuggled have been recovered at active crime scenes in Canada.

And yes as I stated HTH training in the US military is minimal and for good reason. I took the basic hand to hand course in the Canadian military and at the time it was 3, 2 hour classes. And that was it...

Step one: Take the back while standing.

Step two: Suplex on to the concrete.

Step three: Profit.

Back