Is BJJ effective in street fights?

SpedDaddyV

GOAT
@Black
Reaction score
Like if someone shot in for a takedown on someone in a legitimate street fight (ignoring variables such as nearby objects, weapons, distractions, or interference) to utilize BJJ, wouldn’t eye gouging, hair pulling, and nut squeezing be an immediate factor and somewhat render the in close nature of BJJ a little useless?

I’m sure it wouldn’t hurt and would surely be an advantage over someone ignorant to BJJ, but I wonder just how effective it would be. The thread about how special forces not being able to adapt to the unified rules of MMA got me thinking of who would be more successful in a life or death situational fight.

in a one on one situation, yes.

Kinda hard to eye gouge / pull hair when you're being controlled and pounded Into oblivion and have no means of defending.

Street fights are never 1v1 situations though typically. In that sense, Boxing and judo are far more effective.

For sure. But in street fight weapons can be used. Gun or knife is better than BJJ.

If you pull guard you’ll get stomped out by the guy’s goons.

Your best option is to fill the room with uppercuts

1 v 1 then yh, but 3 v 1 best bet is them quick boxing hands

For sure , you can still get fucked up especially if you don’t like being hit. Any combat sport will do you a lot of good because you’re putting in time in a particular area of fighting that you can fall back on during a confrontation. Some places are better than others too, I’d rather apply bjj on an open surface than inside of a bar for example.

Either way it’s not the end all be all for defending yourself but it’s 100 percent better than where you started.

Yes it is. everything that works in UFC works in street fights too

This is what’s effective in street fights...average streetfight, against random asshole who doesn’t have a weapon or completely outnumbered

Consistent training in full contact sport with real sparring like wrestling, bjj, boxing, kickboxing

I would say wrestling, bjj are better because they more prepare you for the chaos of falling down

But just some sort of full sparring regularly will put you above prob 80-85% of people in a streetfight

Striking is best and basic grappling, mixed with good strength and conditioning.

Wrestling> bjj. I don't think it would be smart to try it in a street fight

BJJ is king in a one on one confrontation in an open area. The original UFC's decided this pretty clearly. There's x-factors though. If there's more than one, you'll get your head kicked in. If you're in a very small or cluttered area, you won't have much room to maneuver.

Short answer, probably not.

If you're fighting on concrete, just pull double-legs. The concrete will do most of the work.

If you're on a lawn, best not to roll around in it. You may end up covered in dog shit.

Now if you're in a bar and you're confronting the leader of some group of douchebags, you're better off shutting the fuck up or leaving.

One on one, a black belt will just sweep the motherf#cker from the bottom.

Wrestling> bjj. I don't think it would be smart to try it in a street fight
Most BJJ has fully assimilated wrestling techniques though. Sure, not at the level of an NCAA D1 champ, but against Joe Blow, a skilled practitioner should get them down with ease.

Maybe a standing guillotine...?

One on One fight, sure it works great as fuck

Street fight where people are around and anybody can get in on it, or if you need to escape quick after the scuffle, the hands.

Most important factor in street fight is dont wait to get hit, hit a mofo first, and dont just hit once, dont fucking stop til threat nuetralized, Pride rules and all.

Back