Is BJJ effective in street fights?

Very useful for one on one, almost useless against multiple opponents. Side note, I wish I knew how to wrestle. I would love to be able to just be able to pick someone up and throw them into the ground in a street fight

If you can properly throw a jab you could beat pretty much anyone in a street fight thats not trained. Even a total noob will have common sense to slam out of a sub in a streetfight. If you want to risk bouncing your head off cement while getting stomped out afterwards, go for BJJ. It def has it place in street fights dont get me wrong, but you cant set up for a choke or hold while his homeboys are gang stomping you or he just slams out of a submission and youre severely hurt. Id rather get a quick and brutal slam or TD or a nice Judo throw over BJJ for the streets any day.

Before I even started training I used BJJ just from watching so many fights over the years. This guy high on ice come at me, pulled his arm back to throw a haymaker and my first instinct was to step forward, grab him and get this to the ground. I stepped in, grabbed him and tripped him onto the ground. I was in side control and instantly knew I should get mount. Once I had him mounted I knew there was not a lot he could do and he was quickly out of energy trying to punch me from the bottom as I controlled his wrists. Once he was done I helped him back up and he apologised and cried for a good few minutes lol.

So yeah now I actually train so I will really know what I'm doing next time and there 100% will be a next time cos I work with ice addicts.

Yeah but mostly because the cauliflower ears will deter experienced fighters from starting a fight with you.

Most BJJ has fully assimilated wrestling techniques though. Sure, not at the level of an NCAA D1 champ, but against Joe Blow, a skilled practitioner should get them down with ease.
no doubt, but Bjj in a street fight is extremely risky to me, you leave yourself open to take some real damage. It obviously depends on the level of your training and your opponent but I would feel more confident picking a guy with strong wrestling in a street fight over a bjj practitioner. But there are so many variables that dictate all of this and really hard to say. A fight on the street can be pure chaos and can end so fast that some times none of it even matters. There's just too many things to account for.

Boxing and wrestling, can't tell you how many street fights just end with someone getting suplexed into unconsciousness.

Let's be real of it's an actual street fight, even 1on1 then all bets are off. A $5 Walmart pocket knife is stronger then 20 years of wrestling.

If you look at bouncers and even police officers they've basically been using a form of it to contain way before people knew what JJ was. Though now when they're trained they're more effective, quicker to defuse. Strength matters a lot, too. Can't just Ryan Hall knee break dive random dudes, lol. Good way to get suspended or locked up yourself.

don't get into street fights.....

if you have to defend yourself or someone else knowing bjj is certainly a huge asset.

For sure , you can still get fucked up especially if you don’t like being hit. Any combat sport will do you a lot of good because you’re putting in time in a particular area of fighting that you can fall back on during a confrontation. Some places are better than others too, I’d rather apply bjj on an open surface than inside of a bar for example.

Either way it’s not the end all be all for defending yourself but it’s 100 percent better than where you started.
Who likes being hit??

I'll take wrestling and solid kickboxing for self defence

Looking back world leaders were being guarded by Neanderthals in hand to hand combat compared to what we know today.

Like if weapons weren't an issue, you could hypothetically send Cain Velasquez back in time and assassinate some important figure in history not by being sneaky but walking in the front door lol

A double leg and ability to defend the double leg are critical in a one on one street fight.

I've seen a drunk boxer type get doubled and arm triangled to passed out.

Short answer, probably not.

If you're fighting on concrete, just pull double-legs. The concrete will do most of the work.

If you're on a lawn, best not to roll around in it. You may end up covered in dog shit.

Now if you're in a bar and you're confronting the leader of some group of douchebags, you're better off shutting the fuck up or leaving.

but if you get covered in poop, i think people will just leave you alone. so that could be an option

Like if someone shot in for a takedown on someone in a legitimate street fight (ignoring variables such as nearby objects, weapons, distractions, or interference) to utilize BJJ, wouldn’t eye gouging, hair pulling, and nut squeezing be an immediate factor and somewhat render the in close nature of BJJ a little useless?

I’m sure it wouldn’t hurt and would surely be an advantage over someone ignorant to BJJ, but I wonder just how effective it would be. The thread about how special forces not being able to adapt to the unified rules of MMA got me thinking of who would be more successful in a life or death situational fight.

You're acting like the BJJ player can't pull hair or squeeze nuts as well.

Works under the right circumstances.

Can get you killed or maimed also.

wrestling is the key. just having a solid bjj game won't always be effective. not when there's a hard surface involved. the key is being able to get a dominant top position. i've seen quite a few street fights where a bjj person is on their back throwing up triangle chokes and arm bars. that's not smart.

get on top and control them or get someone's back and choke them out. too many things can go wrong if you end up on your back.

Back