iron chins that broke in USADA era

Look at Reem in K1 - taking big hits and barely being rocked.
That's another one. Alistair Overeem goes from being KO'd in seemingly every other fight, to going six years undefeated in MMA. His next knockout loss then coincides with him getting popped for steroids prior to it, accompanied by a physique change.

That seems to be an unpopular opinion but i dont know why. If you want to talk about muscles supporting the neck and head, or if you want to point at a lack of testosterone making you feel generally tired and weak, there definitely seems to be some corellation
I think when you're on the gas and feel like you can walk through a wall it has some effect on your ability to actually do it.

Last edited:
x7EHaVO.gif

So stop posting

Robbie Lawler never had a good chin, it was a matter of time before he got ko'd.

Dude was getting rocked so much.
Look at Reem in K1 - taking big hits and barely being rocked.
Giant gloves also helped.

I agree, steroids help chin....also I recommend shrugs.

Only time i saw him in as much trouble was against diaz. What else ya got? If woodley went for a walk around the stadium, robbie wasnt coming back from that.

Rocked against McDonald round 4. Rocked against Condit round 1 and 4. Rocked against Matt Brown round 1.

The reason he hasn't been KO'd since Diaz to now, has not necessarily been due to his chin. It's been his ability to see the shots coming and rolling with them. People confuse that with chin a lot. Like that gif people like to post of Johnny hitting Robbie and Robbie laughing. He's rolling back on Johnny's left hand. He's not eating it flush.

Rockhold said it best in his loss to Bisping. "It's not about hitting hard, its about hitting right, at the right time."

Surprised Rockhold didn't make your list, TS.

The list is open to suggestions, but luke doesnt really strike me as a great chin. He does great when he fights smart but then he gets cocky and people switch him off. Maybe he has fights where he gets smashed and keeps coming, i cant remember

Great example

How is that a great example? Magny won by volume and because Lombard was spent.

The elbow from Hendo would've probably killed anybody else and even then Lombard did look like he died for a while.

I think when you're on the gas and feel like you can all through a wall it has some effect on your ability to actually do it.

I actually agree with that. Feeling invincible is gonna keep that adrenaline pumping, which is the stuff they give you when your heart stops? I dont think a state of mind can stop you getting knocked out...its the hormones your body releases because of that state of mind

PEDS do improve durability imo.

Thats not really an opinion based question. Usually things involving drugs and medicine are decided by you know science not opinions but thats the problem with this topic every time it comes up on here. Just a bunch of bros with no knowledge throwing around opinions. Your average sherdog poster seems to truly believe if you take steroids it's like a magic serum that makes you a better fighter. Anytime peds are discussed here it's never not embarrassing.

How is that a great example? Magny won by volume and because Lombard was spent.

The elbow from Hendo would've probably killed anybody else and even then Lombard did look like he died for a while.

If you reread my first post, lombard has 43 fights in his record. He has only two ko losses. How this happened was he tested positive for steroids, came back, and suffered the only two ko losses of his career, back to back. Thats us up to date. 41 fights, no kos. Pops for drugs. 2 ko losses.

yr entitled to yr opinion man but thats pretty damning

Lets get a list! Criteria below

Ronda Rousey (vs holly holm, November 2015. Previously unbeaten)
Robbie Lawler (vs tyron woodley, July 2016, one previous knockout over ten years ago)
Johny Hendricks (vs Stephen Thompson, February 2016, never even been rocked before i think)
Junior Dos Santos (vs Alistair Overeem December 2015, one previous TKO after prolonged 5 round beating)
Jose Aldo (vs Conor McGregor, December 2015, no previous KO in very long career)
Conor McGregor (vs Nate Diaz March 2016(badly rocked leading to choke) never rocked previously)
Miesha Tate (vs Amanda Nunes July 2016, (choke followed knockdown), one previous ko early in career, one tko after prolonged punishment)
hector lombard - 43 pro mma bouts: pops for steroids, comes back and suffers first ko loss, then immediately loses by ko again

Usada testing began in july 2015.

fighters should be renowned for previous toughness and display vulnerability post usada. obviously knockdowns or getting rocked etc can lead directly to subs and this is usually pretty clear

who else ya got?

PEDs improve chin by a small percentage and so does fat. But most of these people were knocked out eventually for other reasons.

Ronda was headkicked. Head kick by those Holly Holm's long ass legs is no joke. Ronda has never been headkicked before.
Robbie was in 3-4 WARS against insane competition. His chin was bound to give up.
Johny gave up on training all together...
Junior was also in WARS. He sustained a ton of damage over the years.
Jose ran into the punch of a larger man with great KO power.
Conor gassed out from trying to KO a bigger dude in Nate who is known for his durability.
Miesha is a girl.
Hector is getting old. He got fucked up by Magny cause he gassed out, and got KO'd by Hendo cause Hendo has insane power and INSANE luck.

I do agree that PED's help, but I don't agree with the examples you provided.

Thats not really an opinion based question. Usually things involving drugs and medicine are decided by you know science not opinions but thats the problem with this topic every time it comes up on here. Just a bunch of bros with no knowledge throwing around opinions. Your average sherdog poster seems to truly believe if you take steroids it's like a magic serum that makes you a better fighter. Anytime peds are discussed here it's never not embarrassing.

You got science on way too high a pedestal. Have you ever been to a dr? Ive have no less than 4 conflicting diagnoses for the same condition before, from 4 different drs. My mum had a stomach complaint that the dr did nothing about for over ten years and a junior dr fixed it in a month. some drs hand out diazepam like candy, some will never give it out at all. Did you know that some drs won't discuss contraception because of their religious beliefs? Medicine is the worst bro science around

Ronda never fought anyone with the striking like that of Holly's before.
Anybody in the WW division would have been KO'd by Woodley's punch.
Hendricks never fought anybody with the striking like that of Thompson's before.
JDS never fought anybody with the striking like that of Reem's before.
Jose never fought anybody with the striking like that of Conor's before.
Conor never fought someone with Nate's boxing, reach and size.
Miesha doesn't fit the bill like you gave 2 examples of.
Lombard might be the only one that somewhat fits the bill, but still he fought one of the P4P hardest hitters..

Not to mention the punches some of these fighters ate without getting rocked during the USADA era.

Last edited:
Back