Im not an expert, but isnt Tyson Furys 250kg deadlift bad for your back?

Most college athletes are power cleaning well into the 300s. They don't even train the deadlift in these programs because of risk reward issues

Let’s just say ALL college football players are lifting well into the 300s. Which isn’t the case amongst football players anyways. We definitely aren’t seeing it among the basketball, soccer, baseball, etc players. Then we also have to take in to account college football players are already at the 1% level of all football player at all levels.

So I’d agree with you that 550 deadlift is not strong amongst “strong” people. But by that definition, 550 is definitely a very strong number amongst the whole general population.

Jim said a 500 deadlift is strong now so i'm absolutely relieved

just need confirmation from drew now

Most college athletes?

Or did you mean “some D1 football players”?

I mean strength sport athletes. I would go farther and say past D1 because I've seen in my old college team gyms, a D3 (engineering school go figure). They were plenty strong enough, but that's by far not the most important quality when you're talking about competing in high levels of football or rugby. Go into weightlifting rooms and you'll see amateurs pulling well over 500 and doing the same thing.

Go into weightlifting rooms and you'll see amateurs pulling well over 500 and doing the same thing.

You’re really having a tough time with what we’re discussing, aren’t you?

250kg is fucking strong for anyone, especially someone who doesn't actively train or compete in a strength sport. Unless you go to a powerlifting/oly gym, and maybe a few crossfit gyms, you simply don't see people putting up those numbers.

Also, Furys form is terrible and it's amazing that he got that thing off the floor. He should never do that again.

Jim said a 500 deadlift is strong now so i'm absolutely relieved

just need confirmation from drew now
Yep, it is. There's your confirmation. On another note, didn't someone did up a facebook video of you saying you were close to pulling 700?

https://strengthlevel.com/

This calculator puts Fury in the 'advanced' category among all lifters for his age group and bodyweight. It is certainly more than I have seen any regular person deadlift in multiple commercial gyms, including a health center for D1 school as well as multiple community colleges I attended. Most athletes outside of football linemen/guards don't lift very heavy (or deadlift at all) from my experience. There are freak exceptions but I wouldn't make sweeping generalizations based off them.

Given Fury's less than ideal leverages and lift mechanics, it is certainly an impressive deadlift. Another 100 or so lb would put him in the elite category. If I were him and I had millions riding on my health, I certainly wouldn't be doing this jacked up lifting.

I train in LA Fitness and I've seen regular people picking up 405-450 regularly who weigh less than 200 lbs themselves. These are not strong people by any means.

Here's Saquon Barkley power cleaning 405 as a college athlete.

Not to jump in but that makes me feel a bit better as I was in the sub 200lb gym going weight and was doing 3 or 4 sets of 4-5 reps @440.

That was awful form.

Still got it though. I would have felt better about it if there was a doctor on standby.download (3).jpeg

The guy is 6'9". If he's pulling heavy, he should be pulling sumo.
This makes no sense brether. Shaw and Thor both pull conventional and are about that height. Conventional suits taller Lankier lifters due to leverages.

Given Fury's less than ideal leverages and lift mechanics, it is certainly an impressive deadlift. Another 100 or so lb would put him in the elite category. If I were him and I had millions riding on my health, I certainly wouldn't be doing this jacked up lifting.
Fury has ideal deadlift proportions. He's built like Cailer Woolam.
90c11f9a-e2c7-46b6-bd8e-2f2bfd8d9f3d.jpg

His form is awful, but he was built to pull big weight.

Most college athletes are power cleaning well into the 300s. They don't even train the deadlift in these programs because of risk reward issues
I work with a collegiate wrestling program. We rarely have college wrestlers cleaning into the 300s. I know for sure most of the other sports programs aren't seeing those numbers.

I work with a collegiate wrestling program. We rarely have college wrestlers cleaning into the 300s. I know for sure most of the other sports programs aren't seeing those numbers.
jgarner says ur wrong tho

Yep, it is. There's your confirmation. On another note, didn't someone did up a facebook video of you saying you were close to pulling 700?

No I wasn’t never close to 700 I think I recall saying my goal was 700 but obviously I haven’t achieved that.

All of that is an aside though because I’ve seen you call other posters including myself “weaklings” for having 400 squats or 500 deadlift amongst other derogatory comments about others strength levels. Jim included.

And now y’all are back tracking saying yes it isn’t strong by certain standards.

It almost like y’all exist on the forum to make smartalic comments and demean others lifts because you get some weird sense of enjoyment from it.

Back