Im not an expert, but isnt Tyson Furys 250kg deadlift bad for your back?

1) That is still stronger than 99% of the male population will ever be. I’m not sure why you don’t understand this.

2) Now you’re talking about 405-450. We were previously talking about 250 kg/551 lbs. 100 lbs is a massive difference in deadlift 1 RM. So, which is it?

Again, you have no idea what you’re talking about.

I'm talking about 405 with people who have 50lbs of body mass lower than him and who aren't professional athletes in any fashion. 100lbs is sure as fuck not a massive difference when you start looking at what strong is for a 250lb man.

Here's Saquon Barkley power cleaning 405 as a college athlete.

Nice, bro. You found a genetically elite athlete doing a different exercise than the one we’re talking about with 146 lbs less than we’re talking about.

Surely everyone can agree it's most definitely not "super weak". It takes most people a reasonable amount of time and consistent strength training (months rather than weeks) to hit ~2.2x bodyweight deadlift. That's without trying to programme it alongside the demands of training at a professional level for another sport...

Nice, bro. You found a genetically elite athlete doing a different exercise than the one we’re talking about with 146 lbs less than we’re talking about.
I found a 200lb college athlete SLINGING 400lbs up to his shoulders. I get it. You think people who aren't strong are strong. Gotcha.

Maybe that's why I don't need to take programming advice from you.

You say that but you also say a 500lb deadlift from a 250lb professional athlete is a strong lift.

That’s one thing you’ve gotten correct in this thread.

I’ve pulled a lot more than 250 kg, but it still doesn’t change my view.

That’s one thing you’ve gotten correct in this thread.

I’ve pulled a lot more than 250 kg, but it still doesn’t change my view.

Well you don't need to be smart to be strong.

I think people really overestimate how strong the general population is - even the ones who lift. I've seen people put up decent bench numbers, but very rarely do I see people squat or deadlift halfway decent numbers. When we vacationed at Hilton Head, I got a week membership at a gym there. The gym had a small dedicated room for powerlifting, olympic lifting, and strongman with two platforms and two squat racks. I was not even lifting very heavy there as I was lifting beltless. I do not think I was squatting above 405 lbs and I was probably pulling in the mid 400's. I definitely didn't get up to 500 lbs. One of the owners there said I was one of the strongest guys to come through there besides the people who train strongman. The heaviest lifts that I saw when I was there was a sub 300 lbs front squat and someone work up to 405 lbs on deadlift. I did see people benching decent though.

I mainly lift at home so my exposure isn't huge anymore, but I see the same thing at the local YMCA. It's crazy - you have guys that look pretty strong and can bench decent numbers, but all of their other lifts are weak. Squats and deadlifts for sure, but even on overhead press where I'd assume they'd be decent.

There are a lot safer things you can do other than dead lifts to build strength.

Any trainer that has a world champion caliber boxer doing this should be slapped in the head. Hopefully this is his own stupidity.

There are a lot safer things you can do other than dead lifts to build strength.

Any trainer that has a world champion caliber boxer doing this should be slapped in the head. Hopefully this is his own stupidity.

let him bang bro

I am sure the power clean is a priority for Barkley and the S&C coordinator for PSU, I doubt the deadlift is a priority for Furry and team.

100lbs on any lift for any lifter that has ever lived is a big deal, even deadlift at SHW. I would be thrilled to add 100lbs on my total, let alone one lift.

Under what arbitrary standard is that strong? Strong for a man? No. Strong for a professional athlete? No. Strong for a 250lb man? No. He's not strong in any meaningful sense of the word. That's ok because he doesn't need to be strong.

Considering that average guy can barely deadlift 200 to 220 pounds yup hes strong

Even for a boxer

Pretty impressive that he didn't snap his spine. That said, there's a lot of people in this thread who don't understand why sumo vs conventional isn't about your height. It's about your lever lengths and what works best for getting you into a powerful position to pull. You could have someone who's 6'0 pull sumo and someone who's 6'0 pull conventional, both being more effective at their choice just due to their limb/torso/mobility/etc.

Relatively shorter folks? Sure. I’d like to hear a rationale for how pulling Sumo at near-maximal weights wouldn’t (1) be less conducive to form breakdown and thus injury, and (2) maximize the load that could be moved with good form, for tall and lanky lifters. Of course ratios of torso/femur/etc are always going to matter, but past a certain point, it isn’t nearly as significant IMO.

Last edited:
Jim is right in the sense that most men can’t do 250, so it’s strong, period.

Is it strong for a powerlifter his weight, not particularly, but powerlifters are a lot stronger at deadlifts (and squats and paused bench) than most as it’s literally their sport, with elite lifters really in a category of their own when it comes to strength in movements they focus on.

Ego lifting at it's most egotistical. Fury is a great fighter, and legit strong AF. But doing a one rep max attempt with shit form is beyond stupid when an injury could cost him millions.
THIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIS

I found a 200lb college athlete SLINGING 400lbs up to his shoulders. I get it. You think people who aren't strong are strong. Gotcha.

Maybe that's why I don't need to take programming advice from you.

lol Saquon is considered one of the freakiest athletes in the NFL and in college. He isn’t just some “college athlete” there. Just saying.

lol Saquon is considered one of the freakiest athletes in the NFL and in college. He isn’t just some “college athlete” there. Just saying.

Most college athletes are power cleaning well into the 300s. They don't even train the deadlift in these programs because of risk reward issues

Back