Illegal Immigrant Falls From California's 30-foot Border Wall, Breaks Both Legs

I don't think you would either.

That was like my point.

The bias is obvious.

Your point is stupid because you think I posted something supporting a particular view you disagree with when I didn't . . .

Please point out my bias oh master of social issues . . . .

Wait, are people actually pretending that the short stretch of wall in Calexico is evidence that Trump is fulfilling his 2,000 mile wall? There was already a barrier in Calexico, and they had already prioritized it's reconstruction since 2009. It's not Trump's wall at all, it's an entirely different thing. From what I've seen, all Trump has done regarding the wall is have some models built for a photoshoot.

Also, regardless of how you feel about illegal immigration, it is pretty sick to celebrate seeing a man fall from a 30 foot wall and break both his legs. What a twisted group of people.
While I agree not Trump's wall specifically, sort of defeat's the narrative that the wall doesn't work........

Can we start building that 2K mile stretch now? A ton cheaper than the costs of said illegal immigrants.

Nah, im just making fun of you. Im not an internet tough guy. On a serious note though, why do you care so much that this dummy broke his legs doing something stupid?

It's not really that I "care so much" that he hurt himself, it's more that I think it's disturbing that people get such a kick out of it.

I didn't have any strong reaction to it. My reaction when I saw it was basically, "Man that really sucks, hopefully his legs recover and he's not hobbled for the rest of his life." That's all. Had that thought, and would have been done thinking about it. It's really the more celebratory reaction from other people that is messed up to me. In the end, that's just some guy that we don't know breaking both of his legs. Sure he was doing something dangerous and illegal, but he's just a guy like us in a completely different situation that we know nothing about. I'm sure we all speed in our cars, risking everybody's life on the road. That doesn't mean I'd laugh at you all breaking your legs.

I think our society lacks morals, and I think our society lacks some basic humanity (and is getting worse). I say it all the time on here. Every once in a while when it suits other posters politically (like when I show some empathy for a Hispanic falling off a wall), people accuse me of saying it's just to be liberal for that. Other times, when it doesn't suit them politically, people just ignore it. But I'm consistent in everything I say, whether people choose to acknowledge it or not.

That's an entirely different reaction though. It's one thing to say you don't feel bad for somebody who does something dangerous and gets hurt. It's a completely different thing to laugh and celebrate seeing somebody get seriously hurt. Two completely different mindsets at work there.
You ever watch dumb criminals on YouTube? Wildly popular to watch them fail and get injured.

That lady that stole the Amazon package then broke her leg was a viral video, celebrated by all.

While I agree not Trump's wall specifically, sort of defeat's the narrative that the wall doesn't work........

Can we start building that 2K mile stretch now? A ton cheaper than the costs of said illegal immigrants.

It's not that a wall does not help, it's measuring the costs of a wall against it's effectiveness. Would it be effective at all? Of course. Would it be effective enough to cost as many billions of dollars as predicted? That's the debate.

I've always had the same opinion on it, which is that a 2,000 mile wall is absurd. Pick the hot spots that really need a wall, and build one (or replace the crappy existing one), like the one in this thread. Increase security in some other areas.

I've always had the same opinion on it, which is that a 2,000 mile wall is absurd. Pick the hot spots that really need a wall, and build one (or replace the crappy existing one), like the one in this thread. Increase security in some other areas.

I can agree with this approach . . . but then when the hot spots shift another location we need to be prepared to fix those spots too.

You ever watch dumb criminals on YouTube? Wildly popular to watch them fail and get injured.

That lady that stole the Amazon package then broke her leg was a viral video, celebrated by all.

There's also different types of crimes. How you feel about those crimes is subjective, I guess. Climbing a border wall does not rank high on my list of despicable crimes to commit. If somebody attempts an armed robbery and gets shot, my reaction is much less sympathetic than a guy (who I know nothing about) breaking both his legs attempting to get into America.

Except, here we are, posting in a thread, that despite the best conditions, a 30 foot high border wall with a human presence as well as security cameras, people are still trying to cross.

One guy, and it was a failed attempt.

What matters in these cases are the overall statistics, not individual acts. The latter is too often what Americans tend to be focused on, which is why they get a very twisted sense of reality.

How much has this 30 foot border wall reduced the overall number of attempts to cross? That's the real question here.

It's not that a wall does not help, it's measuring the costs of a wall against it's effectiveness. Would it be effective at all? Of course. Would it be effective enough to cost as many billions of dollars as predicted? That's the debate.

Walls are absurdly inexpensive infrastructure projects. Minimal up keep.

Illegal immigration costs tax payers 100B a year. A wall will have no such recurring cost. Bill Clinton didn't get any pushback building his wall...

I suppose I'm evil for snickering at this . . .

There's also different types of crimes. How you feel about those crimes is subjective, I guess. Climbing a border wall does not rank high on my list of despicable crimes to commit. If somebody attempts an armed robbery and gets shot, my reaction is much less sympathetic than a guy (who I know nothing about) breaking both his legs attempting to get into America.

I'd think we'd all support someone trying to make their life better . . . I find that support wanes a bit when said person tries to do so illegally . . . it doesn't mean we're void of any empathy for the person.

That lady stealing packages, petty theft right?
Universally laughed at when she broke her leg. Petty theft doesn't deserve a broken leg, but if it happens, I'll be first to laugh and point fingers.

Walls are absurdly inexpensive infrastructure projects. Minimal up keep.

Illegal immigration costs tax payers 100B a year. A wall will have no such recurring cost. Bill Clinton didn't get any pushback building his wall...

We don't know how much it will cost because Trump's administration has either not put in adequate research or is intentionally lying about it.

The report, conducted by the Government Accountability Office, found that Customs and Border Protection, the agency responsible for construction of the wall, did not consider the cost of building along each segment of the border, which can vary depending on factors such as topography and land ownership.

The report also found that the agency selected locations for barriers without fully assessing where they were needed to prevent illegal border crossings.

“Without assessing costs, consistent with leading practices for capital decision making, C.B.P. does not have complete information for prioritizing locations to use its resources in the most cost-effective manner,” the report said.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/06/us/politics/trump-border-wall-report.html

Until they have a real plan, with real numbers that make real sense, the wall is just a pipe dream campaign slogan. People who support Trump would be best served by holding him to a higher standard on these things. He's not going to get a massive budget to build a wall that they have not even properly researched the costs and effectiveness of yet.

I can agree with this approach . . . but then when the hot spots shift another location we need to be prepared to fix those spots too.

From what I've heard, there are pretty long stretches of border that really do not have many issues at all because of their location and geography. So not only is it more difficult and more expensive to build a wall there, it's also less necessary.

I don't even think Trump truly wants a 2,000 mile wall. I think he uses that as a starting point for negotiations, and as a bit of red meat for his base. I'm sure he recognizes it would be more sensible to pick and choose locations.

But like you said, if something changes as a result, then they can cross that bridge when they get to it. But I really don't see enough people traveling hundreds or thousands of miles to find unwalled areas to warrant tens of billions of dollars.

Back