Illegal Immigrant Falls From California's 30-foot Border Wall, Breaks Both Legs

In Calexico, Border Patrol starts constructing a border wall. No, not that border wall.

https://www.desertsun.com/story/new...ing-border-wall-no-not-border-wall/373465002/

Feb. 28, 2018

U.S. Customs and Border Protection has begun construction on a fence in Calexico that will extend about two miles along the U.S. border with Mexico. But agency officials said people shouldn’t confuse this with President Donald Trump’s much-hyped wall.

“We just wanted to get out in front of it and let everybody know that this is a local tactical infrastructure project that was planned for quite some time,” said David Kim, assistant chief patrol agent for the Border Patrol’s El Centro sector.

He said he wanted to ensure that, “there is no confusion about whether… this is tied to some of the bigger immigration debates that are currently going on.”

As Kim spoke, a crane placed several 30-foot-tall steel bollards along the border. The tall posts, spaced several inches apart, will replace an approximately 2.25-mile-long fence made of Vietnam War-era landing mats that was constructed in the late 1990s.

The new, more substantial barrier will more effectively protect a section of the border that is highly trafficked by migrants and drug smugglers, Kim said.

In 2009, the Border Patrol identified this improvement project as a priority, he said, long before Trump proposed building a “big, beautiful wall’ that is projected to cost $18 billion. Funding for the Calexico project – about $18 million – was allocated last year.
All of this information is accurate. Congress only gave Trump funding for bollard-style walls in San Diego, Calexico and Santa Teresa.

Next month's budget negotiations will be interesting. Trump has indicated he will push for a government shutdown unless the "real" wall is fully funded. Multiple Senate Democrats are on board.

I'd think we'd all support someone trying to make their life better . . . I find that support wanes a bit when said person tries to do so illegally . . . it doesn't mean we're void of any empathy for the person.

Like I said, it's subjective. But crossing a border is not something that I take offense to. Should he be caught and arrested? Yeah. But I don't want to see a guy potentially hobbled for the rest of his life for it.

I take more offense to crimes against other humans. Honestly, taking a package off of somebody's steps is more scummy to me than crossing a border. Maybe it's because I've known a lot of people from 3rd world countries and I'm empathetic to their desire (and sometimes need) to get out. It doesn't mean I'm for open borders, it doesn't mean I want them to come illegally, it just means I don't want to see them badly hurt if they try.

I was really close with a family from the Caribbean who came to this country illegally when their government was overthrown by a coup. They were here for several years illegally before they were able to acquire citizenship. They could have stayed in their country, and waited it out the legal way, risking their safety. But the mother and father cared too much about their children to keep them in that environment. They are business owners now, both kids are college graduates, and they are some of the best people I've known.

Obviously not everybody who crosses the border (by land or plane) is the same as them. But when you speak to people like them, you lose that generalized animosity that some people have towards illegal immigrants. Their circumstance was not their fault. They did what they could to overcome and to have a good life.

What a piece of shit I'd have to be to judge them harshly for their choice, as a guy who grew up in a safe environment and has no clue what they had to go through. I was lucky, they were not. That's really all there is to it.

You can’t cross into someone else’s country without permission^^^

That’s it

That’s the whole argument. He didn’t deserve to break his legs? Well how could he possibly have avoided that? Did anyone break his legs? No? He fell while breaking the law?

You can’t cross into someone else’s country without permission^^^

That’s it

That’s the whole argument. He didn’t deserve to break his legs? Well how could he possibly have avoided that? Did anyone break his legs? No? He fell while breaking the law?
Yea I mean if the cops broke his legs that would be different, but climbing a wall meant to stop criminal attempts is a known risk.

are people actually pretending that the short stretch of wall in Calexico is evidence that Trump is fulfilling his 2,000 mile wall?

Trump never claimed a need for a 2,000 mile border wall. At multiple rallies, he has specifically stated that only around 800 miles will be needed.

As for the new construction of bollard-style walls in Santa Teresa, San Diego and Calexico, Trump views this as the beginning of his wall ("The wall is already being built"), but has indicated much more funding is needed and says he will push for a government shutdown in the event that Congress fails to fund the wall.

There was already a barrier in Calexico, and they had already prioritized it's reconstruction since 2009.

As I understand it, this bollard-style wall wasn't funded until last year. That's an 8-year period during which this project was "prioritized" but not properly funded.

It's not Trump's wall at all, it's an entirely different thing.

Mulvaney and Spicer have pushed hard for this type of wall. It's infinitely better than cyclone fencing no barrier. As for the "real wall", expect a massive Blue Wave in November unless Trump secures funding for it.

Also, regardless of how you feel about illegal immigration, it is pretty sick to celebrate seeing a man fall from a 30 foot wall and break both his legs. What a twisted group of people.

I'm the TS here, and I certainly didn't do that.

One guy, and it was a failed attempt.

What matters in these cases are the overall statistics, not individual acts. The latter is too often what Americans tend to be focused on, which is why they get a very twisted sense of reality.

How much has this 30 foot border wall reduced the overall number of attempts to cross? That's the real question here.

Why spend time, money and risk lives to build a wall where few if any people can literally survive?

I have no feelings other than to say..

Was he a doctor or a lawyer?
engineer

I just want to know how he got up there? I remember seeing makeshift grappling hooks in some pics. It's just inviting a fall really.

Until they have a real plan, with real numbers that make real sense, the wall is just a pipe dream campaign slogan.

Sig bet that the next spending bill will include at least $5 billion for Trump's new wall.

Sig bet that the next spending bill will include at least $5 billion for Trump's new wall.

I did not say they would not get some money for a wall, and I don't doubt that they will get some money for a wall.

You have no evidence that this was his first time. Illegal re-entry is a felony.

You have no evidence that it was a felony re-entry either.

So I think the reasonable thing to do would assume first offense since we only have evidence here for one offense, agreed?

I don't even think Trump truly wants a 2,000 mile wall. I think he uses that as a starting point for negotiations, and as a bit of red meat for his base.

You keep repeating this canard. Cite a source for Trump saying we need a 2,000 mile wall or stop spreading misinformation. For years I've heard him say at his rallies that we need less than half of that due to natural barriers.

So I think the reasonable thing to do would assume first offense since we only have evidence here for one offense, agreed?
I didn't make an assumption about his criminal record. You did.

I don't know if it was first, second or third time.

I do know, he wont be jumping off a wall the next time.

You keep repeating this canard. Cite a source for Trump saying we need a 2,000 mile wall or stop spreading misinformation. For years I've heard him say at his rallies that we need less than half of that due to natural barriers.

For the entirety of his campaign he claimed he'd have a wall built along the entire border and that Mexico would pay for it. He scaled it back to saying approximately 800 miles after he got elected, in July of 2017.

I did not say they would not get some money for a wall, and I don't doubt that they will get some money for a wall.
My point is I don't think it's reasonable to say the wall is a "pipe dream campaign slogan" with budget negotiations imminent, multiple Senate Democrats on board with wall funding, and Trump's promise to push for a shutdown if the wall isn't funded.

I didn't make an assumption about his criminal record. You did.

No I didn't.

I only see evidence of the one crime here and there is no other information provided here that suggests otherwise.

You interjected that he could be a felony entry with no particular evidence, and I can only assume that means you think it's ok then if a felon breaks both his legs.

Back