• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

If we’re going to look at resumes without context like Jon wants to do with the Stipe “legacy” fight

Marko Polo

Thank you Jurgen
@Black
Reaction score
Then Jon lost to Matt Hamill and he’s not undefeated. Sure it was a DQ but a loss is a loss and the records show that. You can’t go and say “I’m fighting Stipe because of his record in the UFC and to cement myself as the goat” completely ignoring the fact that he’s 46 years old and coming off a years long lay off after a brutal KO. That’s not a legacy fight

If Jon is acting solely with the records in mind at this point, and not for any semblance of validity, he has a valid loss already, and shouldn’t be trying to preserve some none existent perfect record by ducking every viable opponent

How about we let Stipe actually fight before we decide how well or poorly he'll perform. Jones had a three year layoff, a couple of unspectacular fights (that many people thought he lost), and was even moving up in weight - and he did just fine, didn't he?

Then Jon lost to Matt Hamill and he’s not undefeated. Sure it was a DQ but a loss is a loss and the records show that. You can’t go and say “I’m fighting Stipe because of his record in the UFC and to cement myself as the goat” completely ignoring the fact that he’s 46 years old and coming off a years long lay off after a brutal KO. That’s not a legacy fight

If Jon is acting solely with the records in mind at this point, and not for any semblance of validity, he has a valid loss already, and shouldn’t be trying to preserve some none existent perfect record by ducking every viable opponent
Great point but even taking Jon's record at face value it's still pretty good even with a loss to Hamill. He just got caught, it can happen to anyone just ask Georges.

How about we let Stipe actually fight before we decide how well or poorly he'll perform. Jones had a three year layoff, a couple of unspectacular fights (that many people thought he lost), and was even moving up in weight - and he did just fine, didn't he?
Jones wasn't 42 when he came back from a layoff. Jones didn't get flatlined in his last fight before his layoff. And Jones didn't have a full-time job.

That being said, I don't blame Jones for wanting the biggest payday for the lowest risk; that's what most people want. I blame the UFC for turning the HW division into a complete sham over the last few years.

Your logic does not make sense..

What does jones having a loss have to do with fighting Stipe and Stipes HW resume.

Also isn't Stipe 41

Jones and Stipe is a Legacy fight as that is what it is. Legacy comes from the Latin verb, legare "to appoint by a last will, send as an ambassador." Originally, the noun meant "ambassador" or "envoy" but soon shifted to mean the money and property a person leaves behind in his will. In recent usage, it means someones legacy, the historically significant achievements of their tenure in office, life or in this case a sport. So this is indeed an actual legacy fight with two legends of the sport who have achievements spanning decades.

Tom Aspinall would not be a legacy fight because he has no legacy. That is the fact that you have to accept. You are comparing a flashlight to two Suns that have been radiating for years at the highest pinnacle. You can claim Stipe has been out for 3 years and this and that, but Toms resume does not come close to the long rich history and legacy of either fighter.

Last edited:

tbh Gane sucked so bad that Jones' performance told nothing about how he could truly perform at hw.

.... I don't blame Jones for wanting the biggest payday for the lowest risk; that's what most people want. I blame the UFC for turning the HW division into a complete sham over the last few years.

Yup. And even worse Dana seems to be insistent on pulling perhaps my least favorite of scumbag promoter tricks, this particular maneuver I personally refer to as the "piss on my back and tell me it is raining."

It is one thing to make the bullshit fight because the company thinks it will.make more money and sell better to casuals... but Dana seems to be sticking to the "This fight is what the fans want" line of horseshit.

The fans don't want this fight.

Stipe does not have a win over any currently ranked UFC fighter.

The only current UFC fighter Stipe has faced was born in 1979.
(Arlovski)
He was born in the USSR, a country that has not existed since 1991, 2 years before Tom Aspinall was born.

This fight was stupid when they tried to do it in 2023. Stipe had been out for more than 2 years and was coming off a devastating KO loss. If they do this fight in November Stipe will be 42, 4 years since his last win. No wins over ranked HWs.

If they want that fight, then call it a legacy fight, make up a fake belt (which the UFC has no problem doing) and give Aspinal his proper undisputed title.

The fans don't want this fight.
Speak for yourself

There are plenty of people who want to see this fight including myself. I would also like to see Stipe get paid what he is worth for this big money fight as well. Toms little ass can wait.

Can the mods please merge all these shitty whiny Stipey/Jones threads?

If you don't like the match up, then don't fucking watch it.

You would have a point if Jon had some big physical advantage over Stipe. All the focus is on Stipe being old, inactive and out of his prime. But yet not many realize that Jon is in pretty much the same position. Jon does not have some big edge in this fight in terms of prime and activity, it's very even.

Jon is 5 years younger, but he has more fights than Stipe, been fighting a few years longer, and has 2 mins of fight time since 2020. And Jon is the one coming of a serious injury as well.

I agree that Jon should be fighting Aspinal/Blaydes winner first as they are the relevant #1 contender and interim champ. And he can fight Stipe after. But Jon doesn't want to risk losing the Stipe fight which is bigger for his legacy.

You would have a point if Jon had some big physical advantage over Stipe. All the focus is on Stipe being old, inactive and out of his prime. But yet not many realize that Jon is in pretty much the same position. Jon does not have some big edge in this fight in terms of prime and activity, it's very even.

Jon is 5 years younger, but he has more fights than Stipe, been fighting a few years longer, and has 2 mins of fight time since 2020. And Jon is the one coming of a serious injury as well.

I agree that Jon should be fighting Aspinal/Blaydes winner first as they are the relevant #1 contender and interim champ. And he can fight Stipe after. But Jon doesn't want to risk losing the Stipe fight which is bigger for his legacy.

Why do you guys always pretend that their isn’t a massive drop off in physical performance once you get to late 30’s?

Let’s let a 7 year old fight with a 12 year old. Its only 5 years difference

The stipe fight and Jon’s ducking has tarnished his legacy

Why do you guys always pretend that their isn’t a massive drop off in physical performance once you get to late 30’s?

Let’s let a 7 year old fight with a 12 year old. Its only 5 years difference

The stipe fight and Jon’s ducking has tarnished his legacy

Why? It's because of the fact that it's different for every fighter. To make it consistent regarding age with everyone is irrational. There are fighters that are 33 or 36 that have more wear n tear and are in worse shape and prime than fighters who are 41.

Yoel Romero was 41 when he fought Chris Weidman who was 31. Who was the more in prime and less aged fighter? That's just one example.

With Jon and Stipe, I don't believe anyone has any advantage here cause both have been inactive. Stipe is 41, but he's not a damaged fighter like others his age would be. Stipe has taken good care of himself and hasn;t taken a ton of damage like others.

He's 41. Do you not use google ?
And he's gonna be 42 this year on August too, and by June, Arlovski is gonna have his final fight on his UFC contract, makes all the fighters that Stipe has fought (whether he won against them or lost to them) are no longer in the UFC LMAO.

And he's gonna be 42 this year on August too, and by June, Arlovski is gonna have his final fight on his UFC contract, makes all the fighters that Stipe has fought (whether he won against them or lost to them) are no longer in the UFC LMAO.

True but Stipe is one of the only men at HW along with the beast to actually beat Ngannou, the former reigning champion who left, unbeaten. The reality is it is all about perspective as Stipe does have a win against an actual HW monster and one that was ruling the current HW division.

Some say he is still the baddest man at HW. A man who would sleep the chiny Aspinall with one hand.

Last edited:
Enough of these crap threads already. Jon doesn't make the fights, the UFC/Dana does. Stipe doesn't pick the fights, the UFC/Dana does. Fans may want one thing but the UFC has other plans and we can choose to watch or not.

If Jon destroys Stipe everyone will be like 'GOAT of two divisions', if Stipe wins or gives Jon a good fight, people will be talking about how weak Jon is to lose to Stipe. WTF just let the fight happen and be happy to watch it .

Speak for yourself

There are plenty of people who want to see this fight including myself. I would also like to see Stipe get paid what he is worth for this big money fight as well. Toms little ass can wait.
125,000 people isn't worth it.

Back