If Karelin did not lose the clinch, would he have beaten Gardner by decision?

ijngf

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Karelin only lost a point for losing a clinch under the rules of that year, and it made him lose the match by 0-1. But it is also noticeable that Gardner defended very well on the ground. If Karelin did not lose the clinch, would he have won the match by decision?

Don't remember, which UFC card was this?

Absolutely bro, even Gardner knows that.

Gardner would have destroyed Karelin in MMA based on what we saw in their one fight a piece, he was a natural with his hands.

That brings up a point about A-level athletes and how they would do in MMA.

I definitely believe there is a correlation between athleticism and success in MMA, but people tend to think LeBron for example would make for the best fighter from the NBA since he's the best basketball player, but in reality there is probably some supporting role player out there that is way more talented for fighting. Even though the guy isn't as good at basketball, he's still an incredible athlete for being NBA level, and has more attributes for fighting.

Look at the difference in natural striking ability between Mitrione and Marcus Jones for example, while Jones blew him away as far as football talent.

Gardner would have destroyed Karelin in MMA based on what we saw in their one fight a piece, he was a natural with his hands.

I definitely believe there is a correlation between athleticism and success in MMA, but people tend to think LeBron for example would make for the best fighter from the NBA since he's the best basketball player, but in reality there is probably some supporting role player out there that is way more talented for fighting. Even though the guy isn't as good at basketball, he's still an incredible athlete for being NBA level, and has more attributes for fighting.

Look at the difference in natural striking ability between Mitrione and Marcus Jones for example, while Jones blew him away as far as football talent.

I personally think Shaq would have crushed any version of LeBron in MMA. I'm still of the opinion that Shaq won his boxing match against De La Hoya, and that with a bit of training he could have become boxing's HW champ even in his old age after retiring from the NBA.

Rulon won that match on some lucky bullshit. Then he acted like he was the goat. He was a fat farm boy that got lucky.

Karelin only lost a point for losing a clinch under the rules of that year, and it made him lose the match by 0-1. But it is also noticeable that Gardner defended very well on the ground. If Karelin did not lose the clinch, would he have won the match by decision?

I don't know, I only know that karelin was clearly a better wrestler than gardner

karelin is a fucking mythological monster
garner was on biggest loser

The karelin mma fight was a work

Yes he would have won. Gardner did nothing to win, Karelin did something to lose. 4 years later Gardner only won bronze.

I personally think Shaq would have crushed any version of LeBron in MMA. I'm still of the opinion that Shaq won his boxing match against De La Hoya, and that with a bit of training he could have become boxing's HW champ even in his old age after retiring from the NBA.

It was an exhibition match against a retired bloke who spends most of his time snorting coke and cross dressing.

The idea that Shaq could’ve become the undisputed heavyweight champion after retiring from the NBA is nonsense.

karelin is a fucking mythological monster
garner was on biggest loser
Garner was a tough son of a bitch with some bad luck who seemed to survive the worst life threw at him. Got shot in the stomach with a bow and arrow as a kid, crashed his snowmobile stranding him in the wilderness and survived hypothermia with severe frostbite that cost him his toe, survived a plane crash and swam an hour in freezing water, and worst of all was matched up against the Russian Experiment Aleksandr Karelin and not only survived but won. May have been the lamest way to win possible, but he's the only dude in over a decade of dominance to be so lucky.

I wish we could've seen Karelin compete under freestyle -- he was such a force. I wasn't around the sport during his time (I'm 32), but he really is in a class of its own, seemingly.

Back