Media Ian Garry not interested in fight vs MVP: "His number's (ranking) not higher than mine"

svmr_db

Silver Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Ian Machado Garry has his sights set on moving up the ranks, anything else can wait.

Recent UFC signing and former Bellator star Michael “Venom” Page recently called for a matchup with Garry during an appearance on The MMA Hour, suggesting that the fight makes sense since Garry predicted that Page would fall flat in his octagon debut. Page silenced doubters with a unanimous decision win over Kevin Holland.

That successful UFC start hasn’t done anything to move the needle with Garry, who only wants fights with opponents higher than him in the rankings.

“No, his number’s not higher than mine,” Garry told Sky Sports when asked about fighting Page. “I want to be the best in the world and unless your number is higher than mine, I’m not interested.”

“Unless he passes me in the division and his number is higher than mine, zero interest,” he added.

Currently, Garry is No. 8 in the MMA Fighting Global Rankings, while Page sits at No. 14.

Garry has earned his spot on the back of a perfect pro record, which includes seven UFC victories. His past two wins have come against ranked welterweights Geoff Neal and Neil Magny.

Page authored a number of memorable knockouts during his 10-year Bellator run and though he brings plenty of name value to the table, that’s not enough to draw Garry’s interest for now.

“I’m glad he punched out Kevin Holland,” Garry said. “That guy talks a lot of smack as well and that just proves that he’s not good enough to be in the top 10.”

“I did [think Page would lose.] I said I don’t think he beats him, but yeah, he surprised me,” Garry continued. “Well done.”

Of immediate interest to Garry is his ongoing feud with Colby Covington, who despite his recent struggles still holds a top 5 spot in the UFC’s official rankings. That’s a number that Garry is eager to claim especially with the two engaged in a war of words that is likely to get worse before it gets better.

As much as Garry is eyeing the number next to Covington’s name, he also likes the matchup because he views it as a guaranteed win.

“There’s no way, shape, or form, or universe that I lose this fight,” Garry said. “I’m going to punch the mouth off Colby Covington.”

Last edited:
The fight doesn't make sense other than to protect MVP by making sure he fights a striker next. We all know he's gonna lose to the wrestlers in the division. The UFC knows this as well, Dana even admitted they had to match him up carefully. He's getting the Pereira treatment.

Ducking MVP confirmed.

VaUvBcg.gif

Last edited:
Everyone wants to go up not down i dont know what UFC can or will do about fighters only wanting to fight up but its natural. You dont want to fight put it all on the line and gain nothing from winning.

Crazy that people think “I want to fight for the title soon” is ducking. MVP is literally outside the top 10 with one win in the UFC while garry is 6th ranked and one win away from a title shot. He HAS to fight up. He won’t get a shot from beating MVP

I wish UFC would go ahead with interesting match making regardless of mid ranked fighter’s wants. There is currently far too much diva/prize fighting mentality imo. Ian is ranked #7 in the division. Someone in that position should not get to dictate who they will and will not fight. I don’t see JDM making demands and he’s ranked even higher. It’s not like Ian is finishing everyone like Shavkat, so not sure why he gets to call the shots.

Last edited:
Back