I hate to say it but Gus has 0 credible wins on his resume

Sorry but Gus isn't going to be able to depend on that "near win" to keep his stock high for the rest of his life. Especially now that Rumble got off in that ass.

He should consider himself lucky that Dana gifted him a shitle tot but if he loses again then he needs to start fading into obscurity.

I completely agree. He gave Jones his toughest fight but other than that he did nothing impressive. I scored it 48-47 for Jones but even if people think Gus wo, he can't use that as an excuse for doing exactly nothing relevant since then.

And it's hilarious that people suddenly rate the Shogun decision so highly.

Gus is a good fighter but he needs to have a strong performance against Cormier to stay relevant.

You could also argue that the first poll was taken when all voters had the best/most recent memory of the fight.
When has that ever been a positive?

I could also point out that the sampling of the latter poll is almost 10 times smaller, and the result of the vote so close (10 votes difference) that it easily fits in the margin of error, which is not the case with the bigger poll.
Obviously, but you can see how the attitude changed from GUS WAS ROBBED to "it was a close fight that could've went either way."

TS is right, really. His best fight is a close loss to hungover Jones.

He's gonna carve DC up like a turkey, so there's that.

His biggest achievement is almost winning a fight. Which is a Jon Jones fight so its a big deal but I thought it was because Jones fought horribly more than Gus fighting a good fight.. and Jones still beat him and almost finished him.

Gus "the horseshoes and handgrenades" gustafsson

Using a Sherdog poll to try to argue a Gus win over Jones is like going into gay bar and asking how many like anal to prove the universe enjoys it.

You could also argue that the first poll was taken when all voters had the best/most recent memory of the fight. I could also point out that the sampling of the latter poll is almost 10 times smaller, and the result of the vote so close (10 votes difference) that it easily fits in the margin of error, which is not the case with the bigger poll.

you know when you post a bunch of names like that, it looks nice but it hardly tells the whole story, here are some quotes from those same people, which can be found if you click the link that you provided:

Damon Martin (Bleacher Report): 48-47 Gustafsson
Rewatching the fight on Sunday, the scoring for me came down to round 2, which was very close. Jones landed some good kicks in that round and if you weigh those slightly higher he wins the round and wins the fight 48-47. I don’t think there’s an argument against Jones winning because it was so close.

Ian Bain (MMA Opinion): 48-47 Gustafsson
to be fair I have no qualms with the nod for Jones though the fight was close. Great fight!

Brett Okamoto (ESPN): 48-47 Gustafsson
I also see it as the one that solidifies Jones as the No. 1 pound-for-pound fighter in the world. [...]Had Silva knocked out Weidman in the first round this year, I think I would still rank Jones ahead of him after the Gustafsson fight.

Brad Gustafson (Fight Parrot): N/A Gustafsson
After losing the first two rounds to the lanky Swede, Jones was able to stay calm and calculated and dig deep to come back and take the fight.
Anonymous

Last edited:
The Shogun win was probably his best win but it's now looking worse and worse since Shogun has a losing record since that fight.

you know when you post a bunch of names like that, it looks nice but it hardly tells the whole story, here are some quotes from those same people, which can be found if you click the link that you provided:

Damon Martin (Bleacher Report): 48-47 Gustafsson

Ian Bain (MMA Opinion): 48-47 Gustafsson

Brett Okamoto (ESPN): 48-47 Gustafsson

Brad Gustafson (Fight Parrot): N/A Gustafsson

Anonymous

Anthony Johnson - Brutal Loss

Jimi Manuwa - Win, Jimi has never done anything in the top ten of the division

Jon Jones- Loss

Mauricio Rua - Win, this was the old sloppy Shogun with multiple knee surgeries.

win Thiago Silva - Win, Thiago lost recently in WSOF by brutal stoppage

Vladimir Matyushenko - Win, this was a good win over a aging vet.

Matt Hamill - Win over a Hamill who was going to hang the gloves up

James Te Huna - Win another person who has done nothing int the top 10.

Cyrille Diabate - Win over aging kickboxer

Phil Davis - Loss brutal sub.

Jared Hamman - Win over a 185 fighter.

Going by just facts Vladimir Matyushenko is Gus marquee win. Vladimir Matyushenko is a good but not great fighter but somehow this is Gus's keystone career win.

http://cdn-www.i-am-bored.com/media...olling_for_u_by_millionsoffish-d3b9j97[1].png

The majority of people agree he beat Jones and was screwed by the judges

The majority of Jones haters you mean. I honestly don't see how people think Gus won that fight. The only way you can think Gus won is if you think he won the 4th despite getting hurt and blitzed in the in the final minute. But if you think that you're clearly biased.

Cormier would completely kill what hype is left of him.

he's overrated.

I am NOT a DC fan, but DC will walk through him

I like how the Jones fight is just noted with "loss"...

& you think Maty is a better win than Shogun, Silva or Manuwa? I mean, I knew you were crazy but...

Because that whats happened. He simply "lost" to a much better fighter. It happens.:icon_chee

He beat the hell out of Jones and nearly beat the greatest LHW of all time... so STFU.

Back