I gotta admit, I'd feel bad for Dustin if he doesn't get his hands on that LW belt

After all of the adversity the guy's been through, and when you look at all of the monsters he's faced and beaten in guys like Gaethje, Max, Eddie, Conor, Hooker , etc , in so many wars..it's truly some blood and guts shit.

Plus the fact that he came up short against Khabib, it just would be a feel good story if DP finally got that Undisputed title added to his name and it would be a real shame if he comes up short again.

Hell of a fighter.

Turned down a title shot . I don't feel nothing.

Poirer is very good but I don't quite see how people think he's the best at LW? Beat McGregor twice - great wins, of course, but perhaps not THAT relevant to today's division. Beat Hooker - overrated meathead. Got utterly destroyed by Khabib. Beat a FW. Beat Alvarez and Pettis, good fighters no longer in the UFC. Beat Gaethje - great win. LW, just like LHW, is now being ruled by fighters who would have had no chance to become the champ a couple of years ago so it's slightly less interesting when you know you aren't watching the best. Poirer could KO Oliveira and become the champ, but does anyone really think he's going to be a dominant champ? I see the LW title switching every second or so title defense.

I wouldn't feel bad for Poirer if he doesn't win the belt, he will have had 2 shots and came up short twice. He has made a great deal of money by fighting McGregor so he's going to be set for life. I feel worse for everyone else at LW who hasn't made as much money. When you retire, you can't pay the bills with legacy.
Damn dude you made in incredible argument for him to be the best at LW! LOL... but I agree LW certainly weaker these day...or is it? We all wrote Olivera off...now he's the champ...With a certified string of Submission AND KO victories and a win over Michael fucking Chandler. Chandler is no joke. Maybe Olivera isn't either. Right now he's the champ. Hespect.

He made the decision to forego fighting for the belt. He knows UFC belts are relatively meaningless at this point and it's better to make your money while you can.

Don't feel bad for him if he doesn't get the belt. On the contrary, be happy for him that him and his family are likely set for a long time.
It's not that titles are meaningless, it's just that there's more money in fighting Conor at the moment. Other than a Conor fight the title fights are the biggest earning fights in UFC. Conor just happens to be the biggest star that UFC has left, so fights vs him will be the biggest fights until Conor goes on a losing streak and his value drops considerably. Which will happen if he losses to Dustin again. Conor will be left with just one more money fight and that's vs Nate Diaz.

It's not that titles are meaningless, it's just that there's more money in fighting Conor at the moment. Other than a Conor fight the title fights are the biggest earning fights in UFC. Conor just happens to be the biggest star that UFC has left, so fights vs him will be the biggest fights until Conor goes on a losing streak and his value drops considerably. Which will happen if he losses to Dustin again. Conor will be left with just one more money fight and that's vs Nate Diaz.

Nah, the belts have become cheapened. It's not just Conor either. Title fights aren't necessarily going to make you the most money. Dustin would have chosen any fight that gave him considerable money and he would have made the right move. Nate would have been another option he would happily have taken.

You honestly have to wonder about the decision to take the second red panty night, the win didn’t really accomplish much besides pad his bank account. An athletic prime is absolute, the way Dustin looked during his last two fights IMO he would’ve had an extremely competitive chance at beating Oliveira. If he comes in to this fight and looks just a little bit off, slower, or unfocused, one would surly have to question what if he waited just a mircrocosm too long... It’s simply that close at the elite level, where a 6 month period or even one fight could make a world of difference.
<WhatItIs>

No one should feel bad really. He has had a very good couple of years,Khabib destruction nonwidthstanding.

he ain't interested in the belt, he wants big names so he can demand more money

After his showing against khabib, Jolie's wife doesn't deserve to ever touch the belt

After all of the adversity the guy's been through, and when you look at all of the monsters he's faced and beaten in guys like Gaethje, Max, Eddie, Conor, Hooker , etc , in so many wars..it's truly some blood and guts shit.

Plus the fact that he came up short against Khabib, it just would be a feel good story if DP finally got that Undisputed title added to his name and it would be a real shame if he comes up short again.

Hell of a fighter.

Wonder if he coming up short hurts Khabib's legacy(as dustin is clearly his best win)/gives him a reason to come back and beat Oliveria?

Why? He’s never been champ level. Fought for the real title against Khabib and literally quit between rounds.
Haven't watched the fight but it makes sense. I remember how Poirier called out Khabib after he submited McGregor: "Let me feel that squeeze champ!"
lol

Nah, the belts have become cheapened. It's not just Conor either. Title fights aren't necessarily going to make you the most money. Dustin would have chosen any fight that gave him considerable money and he would have made the right move. Nate would have been another option he would happily have taken.
Other than fighting Conor the biggest money fight for Dustin is the title. Jorge vs Nate was a one time thing for the BMF belt so they were able to ask for more money in that fight than normal. The hype isn't the same so fighting them isn't a big money fight compared to the title anymore. They are quick to make interims because they like separating contenders with champions, and interim champions can still be marketed as a champion and also championship pay comes with that as well. Other than Conor the biggest money fights are still interim and championship fights in UFC.

He made his own bed. He could have fought for the title already but chased the money fights against Conor instead. TS is a dope.

He chose the $$$ over the belt...he got what he wanted....twice...

The best two guys throughout the majority of Poirer's tenure at lightweight were Khabib and Ferguson. He never fought Ferguson and Khabib just ran roughshod over him.

He went life and death with Hooker, albeit a very fun an gutsy performance from both guys.

I think Dustin has generally been just shy of legit championship level. All due respect but beating Conor McGregor doesn't mean much. The guy should not have been ranked and Nate @% Diaz beat the dogshit out of him.

I'm favoring Do Bronx with Poirer being a live dog, in my personal view. Both guys have a good shot, but I think Charles is the better overall fighter.
TBF, Dustin came off Hip Surgery and a long layoff for the Hooker fight. Dustin usually fight 2-3 times a year, but in 2020 he only fought once (against Hooker), likely due to the hip surgery.

Dustin is definitely champ level, as he has beaten multiple former champions. It's just unfortunate for him that the belt holder of his era happened to be the GOAT LW fighter in Khabib. But now that's not the case with Khabib retired.

he dont seem like he even cares for the belt
Belts don't feed his family...a dance with Conor probably fattened his bank account 10x than the belt ever would...he took the smart way IMO...I mean, look at woodley being a champ and now chasing youtuber for more $$$$...

Whenever he gets asked about fighting for the belt it's "we'll see what happens" or "Conor". It gives the impression the money fights mean more to him. And he got 2 of them, so he got what he wanted.

But, he is looking better than ever. He is the #1 ranked LW, as Khabib's gone and he beat Gaethje and Conor. The top guy should hold the belt.

Back