I gotta admit, I'd feel bad for Dustin if he doesn't get his hands on that LW belt

I won't. he has made his priorities clear.

I don’t think DP cares about the belt… he knows he has a short window left and is maximizing his $$ now.

It’s crazy, because he’s still soo motivated to win. But hopefully he does get a title shot one day and accepts

I'm a fan of Dustin,but I won't feel bad if he doesn't get the belt. If he is good enough? He will beat Charles and if he isn't? Well he won't be champ

Now the above is obvious, but Dustin has had a hell of a career whether he becomes champ or not. Though I won't feel bad for him, I want him to become champ and I think he will beat oliviera

TBF, Dustin came off Hip Surgery and a long layoff for the Hooker fight. Dustin usually fight 2-3 times a year, but in 2020 he only fought once (against Hooker), likely due to the hip surgery.

Dustin is definitely champ level, as he has beaten multiple former champions. It's just unfortunate for him that the belt holder of his era happened to be the GOAT LW fighter in Khabib. But now that's not the case with Khabib retired.

Fair enough, but prior to hip surgery he got knocked out dead in the first round against Michael Johnson. He never got to fight Ferguson, RDA or Khabib in their win runs because he couldn't win his way to those fights. He didn't fight the best guys of his era, and when he did get to fight Khabib he got run over.

Beating Pettis is fine, nothing wrong with it, but look at his record leading up to it. He wasn't championship Pettis.

Going life and death with Hooker and getting smashed by Khabib, never haven beaten RDA or Ferguson... I don't see how we can rank him among the best of the last 5 years all things considered, he's just shy of championship level.

Either way I'm excited to see the fight with Do Bronx. I think Charles is the better fighter and it'll be obvious.

I wouldn't. He passed on a title shot for a money fight. Nothing wrong with that. But it shows you what he considers the most important. Look at Charles. He said I'll get the belt. The money will definitely come. Different mindsets

Other than fighting Conor the biggest money fight for Dustin is the title. Jorge vs Nate was a one time thing for the BMF belt so they were able to ask for more money in that fight than normal. The hype isn't the same so fighting them isn't a big money fight compared to the title anymore. They are quick to make interims because they like separating contenders with champions, and interim champions can still be marketed as a champion and also championship pay comes with that as well. Other than Conor the biggest money fights are still interim and championship fights in UFC.

Not a chance. Fighting Nate would make him far more money.

People need to hold their horses RE: DP
In last 4

-lost to Khabib
- Couldn't finish hooker (iron mike needed a minute)
- TKO over Conor who's 1-3 at LW
- Won again via injury/ doctor's stoppage

Charles will strangle him

Maybe, but his overall body of work at LW is unparalleled. He has a better resume than even Khabib but because of the loss to Khabib he'll unfortunately never become LW GOAT even if he goes on a tear and beats everyone in the top 5.

Fair enough, but prior to hip surgery he got knocked out dead in the first round against Michael Johnson. He never got to fight Ferguson, RDA or Khabib in their win runs because he couldn't win his way to those fights. He didn't fight the best guys of his era, and when he did get to fight Khabib he got run over.

Beating Pettis is fine, nothing wrong with it, but look at his record leading up to it. He wasn't championship Pettis.

Going life and death with Hooker and getting smashed by Khabib, never haven beaten RDA or Ferguson... I don't see how we can rank him among the best of the last 5 years all things considered, he's just shy of championship level.

Either way I'm excited to see the fight with Do Bronx. I think Charles is the better fighter and it'll be obvious.
DP beat Alvarez, Gaethje (interim champ), and Holloway (one of the GOAT FW and FW champ) on top of Pettis and Conor (former LW champs). And he finished most of these guys.

Yes he lost to MJ, but MJ is one of the most dangerous LW's when he is at his best. His hands are so lethal and quick.
Almost every top fighter has that odd kind of loss (GSP/Serra, Anderson in Pride).

DP never got to fight RDA bcuz RDA moved up to WW, which isn't Dustin's fault. But Dustin take out Eddie, who took out RDA. Tony also refused to fight Dustin multiple times as well.

I can almost guarantee that Khabib would run over any LW. Heck a younger Khabib ran through Prime RDA (the Khabib loss was RDA's only loss in his peak run). So there's no shame to losing to Prime Khabib.

It's funny bcuz Tony and Dustin have had common opponents (Pettis, Gaethje) and Dustin has done better against them.

IMO we can agree to disagree, but I believe Dustin is definitely championship level fighter.

DP beat Alvarez, Gaethje (interim champ), and Holloway (one of the GOAT FW and FW champ) on top of Pettis and Conor (former LW champs). And he finished most of these guys.

Alvarez is probably his career big win, but take a look at Eddie's overall body of work in the UFC. It isn't the same among the truly elite of that generation of fighters. JG is another fine win, he knocked him out just like Alvarez did. Pettis was in a career spiral before and after fighting Dustin, and Conor should not have been ranked. He's literally won a single fight in his entire lightweight career.

The best guys of Dustin's generation were Ferguson, prime RDA and Khabib. He never got to fight any of them on his way up because he didn't win his way to that level of fights. When he did fight Khabib, he got wrecked.

IMO, that is shy of championship level then and now.

Yes he lost to MJ, but MJ is one of the most dangerous LW's when he is at his best.

MJ is under .500 and his record speaks for itself. If you fought MJ in the UFC, you had better then 50% chance of winning by virtue of showing up. It is what it is.

here's no shame to losing to Prime Khabib.

Agreed.

Not a chance. Fighting Nate would make him far more money.
He would have to move up in weight and Nate is coming off a loss. It wouldn't make him more money than winning the LW title. He can get some hype in the future by winning the belt and moving up in the future and fighting Nate then. He will have leverage as the champion or vacating the title to challenge at welterweight like what Jones is trying to do right now in HW. Skipping the title to challenge Nate now isn't the best or most profitable play.

He would have to move up in weight and Nate is coming off a loss. It wouldn't make him more money than winning the LW title. He can get some hype in the future by winning the belt and moving up in the future and fighting Nate then. He will have leverage as the champion or vacating the title to challenge at welterweight like what Jones is trying to do right now in HW. Skipping the title to challenge Nate now isn't the best or most profitable play.

Nope, the fight with Nate brings Dustin far more money.

Nope, the fight with Nate brings Dustin far more money.
Nope if Dustin gets the belt he has the leverage for higher pay. Nate is a one off and he's coming off a loss. Getting the title and fighting Conor again as the champion is the smartest move. He will have the leverage and that fight will be bigger hype than fighting Nate who is coming off a loss. This will give Nate time to have another fight and possibly get another win, so if they do fight in the future there will be more hype.

Nope if Dustin gets the belt he has the leverage for higher pay. Nate is a one off and he's coming off a loss. Getting the title and fighting Conor again as the champion is the smartest move. He will have the leverage and that fight will be bigger hype than fighting Nate who is coming off a loss. This will give Nate time to have another fight and possibly get another win, so if they do fight in the future there will be more hype.

Nah, the fight with Nate is bigger and more profitable.

Nah, the fight with Nate is bigger and more profitable.
Explain how. I don't think you really understand what you are saying. You aren't thinking ahead far enough and looking at the other variables.

It's okay TS, he's made some $$$ for him, his family, and his charity. He does already have a UFC belt hanging over his mantle as well

Belts don't feed his family...a dance with Conor probably fattened his bank account 10x than the belt ever would...he took the smart way IMO...I mean, look at woodley being a champ and now chasing youtuber for more $$$$...
That's because he wasted all his money. Woodley fought on two big PPVs (Conor vs Alvarez and Jones vs Cormier II) while he was champion which gave him PPV points, plus the huge bump in guaranteed pay with being champion, so he made a lot because he was champion.

You're very confused. He fights Nate and makes much more money.
That's one fight. He would have zero leverage in that fight. How would he make more money? What constitutes the pay increase especially if Nate is coming off a loss? Please explain how that will be more than him winning the LW belt, having leverage as the champion, getting increase in pay and having bigger PPV split when he fights Conor as the Champion? So you think a fight vs Nate will make him more money than fighting Conor as the defending LW Champion?!?!?! Please explain because you seem more than just confused.... you don't seem smart enough to comprehend all the details.

Ask Ngannou how thats working out
He can let his contract expire and fight boxing. He is still the official champion so he still has leverage until he gives up the belt. Those other moves is to just try and force Ngannou into making a move they want, but he still has leverage as the official champion and not the interim.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ljae89
Back