I gave some pizza to a homeless guy

I sure hope you spat on the pizza before giving it to him.

I always give them money. Obviously it'll probably be spent on booze or drugs but at least it'll give them some comfort for a while.

I didn't say they were that similar.

But you made a broad statement, so I changed the situation to see if that statement still applied.

You understood why I made the broad statement right? To illustrate why it isn't normal to use one bad experience of one person being unappreciative as an excuse to never do the same nice thing again for anyone in that same situation ever again.

And you felt it was helpful to ask if I would feel the same even if the situation was drastically different, involved someone attacking me, and had nothing to do with point of the exchange? I think at this point I am content to leave it at I don't really get what you were getting at but its not that big of a deal.

My God you sound like an immense pussy. Why drive? You might get in an accident, it's the number one killer of adults in the US.

Seriously, bro.

You're missing the point.

I didn't say you shouldn't give to a homeless person because you might get attacked. I said that if you had gotten attacked in the past, you'd think twice about doing it in the future. If you don't, then you're stupid.

You're missing the point.

I didn't say you shouldn't give to a homeless person because you might get attacked. I said that if you had gotten attacked in the past, you'd think twice about doing it in the future. If you don't, then you're stupid.

...or not a wimp.

yea, last thing i am gonna do is give an able bodied dude in his 20's a handout. 9 out of 10 times they are too lazy or want drugs or whatever.

vegas is flooded with these type people. its usually some sort of scam they are pulling. a couple weeks ago i was waiting at a light that was perpendicular to a highway off ramp where a couple of fairly attractive (for pretending to be homeless girls) were flagging down cars and begging. i saw 2 guys pay up while i was waiting at the light.

what they didnt see was behind a concrete wall a few feet away were their guys. the cars left and they ran over to the losers they were with

you wanna help homeless people, give to a charity that does it. giving to beggars does nothing for them and only encourages them to keep at it. if they can make $100 a day holding a sign, why get a job?
Nobody is hiring any of those homeless people and they sure don't have a car to get to work.

But I do agree if someone wants to help, the best method is to research and find a legit charity (because many are not) and it is especially helpful to even volunteer a bit. Not only the time is invaluable and desperately needed but then you can see for yourself if it is legit. I personally don't care what someone uses $2-$5 for in the middle of a shitty life but i understand why people also would feel it is just throwing away hard-earned money. I don't think either way it matters much in the grand scheme. The important stuff absolutely is finding and hopefully sticking with in some way a charity that actually does some good.

Yeah, because you're a "wimp" if you're skeptical about a situation that proved dangerous in the past. :rolleyes:

Yeah, because you're "stupid" if you're not skeptical due to a confidence in being able to handle a situation that proved dangerous in the past. :rolleyes:

Goes both ways.

I've been there, handled the situation, and then continued to try to help people out like that. You call me "stupid", I call you a "wimp". Fair is fair.

I always buy Gatorades for homeless dudes who are hanging out late night in NYC by food trucks and stuff.

If they mix it with booze I couldn't care less either..

You're an awesome guy, who doesn't love pizza? Homeless dude should have been more stoked to get free pizza, I'm always stoked when I get free pizza. Man if someone just handed me pizza I'd be so happy. Homeless people are so spoiled these days

tumblr_md2y1fGjT21qftyxzo1_500.jpg

Nobody is hiring any of those homeless people and they sure don't have a car to get to work.

But I do agree if someone wants to help, the best method is to research and find a legit charity (because many are not) and it is especially helpful to even volunteer a bit. Not only the time is invaluable and desperately needed but then you can see for yourself if it is legit. I personally don't care what someone uses $2-$5 for in the middle of a shitty life but i understand why people also would feel it is just throwing away hard-earned money. I don't think either way it matters much in the grand scheme. The important stuff absolutely is finding and hopefully sticking with in some way a charity that actually does some good.

Labor Ready and other day labor places hire homeless people all the time. they even have tools and shit if you need it.

I used to babysit the day laborers when they were building Lake Las Vegas out here. easily half of them were homeless. And it was easy to see why. You would always here them talking about how they were gonna take their money from the day and go get alcohol or gamble. if 2 of them just put their money together, they could have had a weekly.

the few good ones we had usually got hired full time.

if you want to work you can. is just that most homeless people are content to be that way.

Labor Ready and other day labor places hire homeless people all the time. they even have tools and shit if you need it.

I used to babysit the day laborers when they were building Lake Las Vegas out here. easily half of them were homeless. And it was easy to see why. You would always here them talking about how they were gonna take their money from the day and go get alcohol or gamble. if 2 of them just put their money together, they could have had a weekly.

the few good ones we had usually got hired full time.

if you want to work you can. is just that most homeless people are content to be that way.
I do think there is something similar on the street with a lot of homeless people as would probably most closely be compared to becoming institutionalized in prison. It gets to the point where that subculture is the only world they feel comfortable in and can no longer interact normally in society. And like with jails and prisons, many get their time in from repeatedly doing the same stupid things until the sentencing and crimes escalate to a point of no return.

It is one of those social problems that if you don't get in front of it with an individual on the prevention side, it is very hard to change their path. But there are a lot of people one job firing or car break down or hospital bill away from being homeless. There are tons of families with kids homeless. But the ones on the hustle are the ones more likely to be out in the public spots begging so people get it in their head that they are all like that. many are elsewhere trying to pick up work or find shelter or protect their kids. Or the father goes and begs while the mother stays with the kids and they rotate.

That is cool that where you live there are places for homeless people to get work. But I don't think that is the norm. You wouldn't have 1000 illegal immigrants at every Home Depo looking for any type of work (and they have places to live) if there was all this work available and nobody willing to do it. There hasn't been work available like that since the Clinton years in most states. I know people with college degrees that couldn't get minimum age jobs or any jobs on salary only a few years ago.

But in the long run, I dunno, I guess I don't really care to invest the time to how deserving someone may be. So long as they aren't scamming resources from those truly in need. Some people will only survive life through the mercy of strangers. If for whatever fucked up reason someone prefers living in a cardboard box I gotta assume something went really wrong along the way. I guess I just don't hold them to the same expectations than say if some kid just finished high-school and instead of looking for a job he goes and panhandles. I bet at least 1/4th of the homeless are mentally ill. And homeless from addiction, a bullet would normally be a kindness. I dunno man, I see both sides. And i get why people who work hard get annoyed by those that leech off others but their quality of life just makes it hard for me to be too mad at them. JMO. Peace

You shouldn't have given him pizza, but taught him HOW to make pizza.

You'd've fed him for life.

Give a man a pizza, you feed him for a day.

Teach a man to make pizza, and you've saved yourself a pizza.

Panhandlers always seem to be one of those great unknowns to me. Are they really in need or are they gaming the "system" and trying to play on people's sympathies for some cash?

I rarely carry cash so I normally can't give them anything. I was in Kansas City last Spring and this guy hit me up for gas money at a gas station. I only had a few bucks and gave it to him. Jerk acted all insulted because I didn't give him more, even though I gave him all I had. I have no idea where his car was either so it's not like I could go put $20 in for him. Not that I would've . . . .

If it was stuffed crust then he could've distributed that amongst his pals

One time I got a phone call for some charity I think it was a firefighters fund or something like that and it was around christmas time so I felt charitable so I said I would donate $20 to them. What follows was for months after the fact I got phone calls for every charity under the sun asking for money. They put my name on some list that got handed out to every single charity that shared lists. I had to keep on telling these charities no because I'm not Scrooge McDuck and can't just give money away like its nothing. It was 6 months to a year before I got them to stop calling.

Well, you would obviously know better than me since you experienced it. I was just trying to put myself in his position and try to maybe understand it from his side as to why he'd respond like he did. My apologies if I made a wrong assumption.

You're good, man, thanks for not automatically resorting to name calling or being a general dick. Like you already.

I do think there is something similar on the street with a lot of homeless people as would probably most closely be compared to becoming institutionalized in prison. It gets to the point where that subculture is the only world they feel comfortable in and can no longer interact normally in society. And like with jails and prisons, many get their time in from repeatedly doing the same stupid things until the sentencing and crimes escalate to a point of no return.

It is one of those social problems that if you don't get in front of it with an individual on the prevention side, it is very hard to change their path. But there are a lot of people one job firing or car break down or hospital bill away from being homeless. There are tons of families with kids homeless. But the ones on the hustle are the ones more likely to be out in the public spots begging so people get it in their head that they are all like that. many are elsewhere trying to pick up work or find shelter or protect their kids. Or the father goes and begs while the mother stays with the kids and they rotate.

That is cool that where you live there are places for homeless people to get work. But I don't think that is the norm. You wouldn't have 1000 illegal immigrants at every Home Depo looking for any type of work (and they have places to live) if there was all this work available and nobody willing to do it. There hasn't been work available like that since the Clinton years in most states. I know people with college degrees that couldn't get minimum age jobs or any jobs on salary only a few years ago.

But in the long run, I dunno, I guess I don't really care to invest the time to how deserving someone may be. So long as they aren't scamming resources from those truly in need. Some people will only survive life through the mercy of strangers. If for whatever fucked up reason someone prefers living in a cardboard box I gotta assume something went really wrong along the way. I guess I just don't hold them to the same expectations than say if some kid just finished high-school and instead of looking for a job he goes and panhandles. I bet at least 1/4th of the homeless are mentally ill. And homeless from addiction, a bullet would normally be a kindness. I dunno man, I see both sides. And i get why people who work hard get annoyed by those that leech off others but their quality of life just makes it hard for me to be too mad at them. JMO. Peace

This post is ridiculous. You make an earlier post saying no one hires these people, then another poster proves you don't know what you're talking about. (He is right by the way when I was helping build hotels in ND and even when I was doing flooring we not only got homeless people and paid them well but we also hired full time the ones who worked hard.)

At this point after you have been proven to be wrong you come back with this long winded "Can't teach an old dog new tricks" bullshit. You're an enabler, and you're making excuses about shit you don't even understand. I was homeless at one point as a teen, I am now 26 and I do construction for a living. For those who really want a way out its available. For those that don't, they chose their path fuck em.

Back