I gave some pizza to a homeless guy

What kind of job was it?

He was clearing some land and had the trees cut down. He was pulling them to another area of his land and wanted someone to hook and unhook the chains so he didn't have to keep getting on and off the tractor. He had a pickup for the guy to drive back and forth between locations.

He was clearing some land and had the trees cut down. He was pulling them to another area of his land and wanted someone to hook and unhook the chains so he didn't have to keep getting on and off the tractor. He had a pickup for the guy to drive back and forth between locations.

Oh, okay. Sounds like an easy enough job.

Gave a homeless dude $5 once, saw I had $20 as well and asked for the $20. Never again.

Some people are on the hustle because they are addicted. Some people really are hungry. The way i see it, either way their life is in a bad place. I tend to give more on mood and instinct. Sometimes you run across people that you can almost see the thought process where they think they are so clever. Two-bit hustlers always think they are geniuses. Those people I pass on. But if someone seems to be sincerely in need or hurting, for whatever reason, I normally give them between $2 and $5.

It isn't much but it adds up over a year so I don't want to go overboard and I already spend time working in charities to get people housing and beds and food and half that process is weeding out the scammers too.

I don't know, I guess this reply probably wasn't that helpful. But maybe because there really isn't a set answer. If you can afford it and you think the person is legit then you do what you can at a pace or timing that you are comfortable with. You can't carry the weight of the world on your shoulders but at the same time you can make a big difference in the life of one person. Just pick your spots.

Hey TS, I think you shouldn't give two shits about some ungrateful drug addict trying act like he's hungry. Growing up in NYC I have seen all types of panhandling. I guarantee you, him and his buddies take turns holding that sign. Those guys would rather get a cheap high than eat pizza. My wife's co-worker gave food to some guy with a sign that said he was hungry and you know what asshole did .... he threw the food at my wife's co-worker and said he wanted money instead. TS, save your hard earn money and donate it to a charity you like.

The reason he gave you a dry thank you is because he wanted cash, he can't buy drugs or booze with pizza. I don't give money to any of the pieces of crap who beg on the streets of Toronto, or at the lights when you get off the highway, because why should I help to fund their drug habit? I have my own haha. Seriously they can all fuck off. It would be different in a place where there's real poverty, but not here. Go get a fuckin job you dirtbag.

Gave a homeless dude $5 once, saw I had $20 as well and asked for the $20. Never again.

I was nice to this guy one time and he was ungrateful. Never again

Unless you think it is possible not all people are the same?

I'm sorry but till the day I die I will never understand this kind of logic. The second someone doesn't live up to expectations that's it for everybody? How about just never again for that particular homeless guy?

I was nice to this guy one time and he was ungrateful. Never again

Unless you think it is possible not all people are the same?

I'm sorry but till the day I die I will never understand this kind of logic. The second someone doesn't live up to expectations that's it for everybody? How about just never again for that particular homeless guy?

What if the person was violent (rather than just unappreciative)? Would that change things?

...and perhaps he came across as being rude due to the situation of him being approached doing something that he might have been ashamed of or embarrassed about. I don't know. My guess is that he's already uncomfortable with what he's doing, nevermind having someone see him and then approach him while doing it. *shrugs*

My guess is that he's picking up cigarette butts in front of heavily trafficked gas station and couldn't possibly give one fuck about someone seeing him. Also, I was very meek and gracious when approaching him, I've been homeless myself before, I know what it's like.

Some people are in bad situations because they're assholes. He was one of them, in my opinion.

To be fair he was not asking.
But good luck finding menthol butts.

Hey, I have a pretty good sense of perception. If I see someone rooting through trash for food, I wouldn't be out of line to assume the person is hungry and would prefer fresh food. Asking them if they would like some shouldn't warrant a shitty response. If anything, he could have taken them and traded them for some menthols or something. I didn't care how he used them, I was just trying to help.

There are almost 2.5 million homeless children in 2013 in the U.S.

"In the U.S., more than 3.5 million people experience homelessness each year. 35% of the homeless population are families with children, which is the fastest growing segment of the homeless population. 23% are U.S. military veterans."

Some of those numbers obviously are added to the existing people that are homeless and some of it includes peopel that already were. I don't know what the mortality rate is either. But according to some posters in here EVERYBODY is actually a drug addict on the hustle? If you don't want to give then don't give. But maybe don't be so quick to label a huge segment of society as pieces of shit when many may not be. A lot of them even defended this country.

Last edited:
What if the person was violent (rather than just unappreciative)? Would that change things?

You could say that about anybody in any situation at any time

I am sure there are more mentally unstable people on the street and caution would probably be more prudent than most situations. But the two scenarios are not even close to similar. One scenario the guy doesn't feel like his life-changing donation of $5 was appreciated (although admittedly it is a dick move by the homeless guy and would annoy me too) so in retaliation he will never help anybody that is homeless again, which is what I took issue with. The other scenario is making sure you aren't putting yourself in a dangerous situation. How do you see that as similar in any way?

But yes, I suppose if i was concerned about safety I would be a bit more discriminating in who I approached or where. It is not like all homeless people live in some dark alley under a dumpster at night. I am sure you could find some safe situations if you were really worried.

My guess is that he's picking up cigarette butts in front of heavily trafficked gas station and couldn't possibly give one fuck about someone seeing him. Also, I was very meek and gracious when approaching him, I've been homeless myself before, I know what it's like.

Some people are in bad situations because they're assholes. He was one of them, in my opinion.

Well, you would obviously know better than me since you experienced it. I was just trying to put myself in his position and try to maybe understand it from his side as to why he'd respond like he did. My apologies if I made a wrong assumption.

Why would it? Some people are violent. Some aren't. And?

Because, why put yourself into a potentially dangerous situation?

In other words, if I tried to help someone (who may look perfectly safe) and got attacked, I'd think twice about doing it again.

You could say that about anybody in any situation at any time

I am sure there are more mentally unstable people on the street and caution would probably be more prudent than most situations. But the two scenarios are not even close to similar. One scenario the guy doesn't feel like his life-changing donation of $5 was appreciated (although admittedly it is a dick move by the homeless guy and would annoy me too) so in retaliation he will never help anybody that is homeless again, which is what I took issue with. The other scenario is making sure you aren't putting yourself in a dangerous situation. How do you see that as similar in any way?

But yes, I suppose if i was concerned about safety I would be a bit more discriminating in who I approached or where. It is not like all homeless people live in some dark alley under a dumpster at night. I am sure you could find some safe situations if you were really worried.

I didn't say they were that similar.

But you made a broad statement, so I changed the situation to see if that statement still applied.

Because, why put yourself into a potentially dangerous situation?

In other words, if I tried to help someone (who may look perfectly safe) and got attacked, I'd think twice about doing it again.

My God you sound like an immense pussy. Why drive? You might get in an accident, it's the number one killer of adults in the US.

Seriously, bro.

yea, last thing i am gonna do is give an able bodied dude in his 20's a handout. 9 out of 10 times they are too lazy or want drugs or whatever.

vegas is flooded with these type people. its usually some sort of scam they are pulling. a couple weeks ago i was waiting at a light that was perpendicular to a highway off ramp where a couple of fairly attractive (for pretending to be homeless girls) were flagging down cars and begging. i saw 2 guys pay up while i was waiting at the light.

what they didnt see was behind a concrete wall a few feet away were their guys. the cars left and they ran over to the losers they were with

you wanna help homeless people, give to a charity that does it. giving to beggars does nothing for them and only encourages them to keep at it. if they can make $100 a day holding a sign, why get a job?

One time, I gave, what I assumed to be a homeless guy picking up butts in front of this gas station, a brand new pack of my cigarettes. They were regular flavor Doral. (I wasn't doing too well myself lol)

Well, he takes a look at the package as I hand it to him, and says very dry, and a little rude, "I only smoke menthols."

I kinda just laughed and walked away.

it was a clear cut invitation to Bang Bro.

Back