I gave some pizza to a homeless guy

TalkinNoise

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Well, I'm pretty sure he was homeless. He had a cardboard sign saying 'Tired, hungry, could use help'. Was relatively youngish, maybe mid to late twenties?

Anyways, I was driving my mom around so she could run some errands and decided to grab some pizzas to eat with the family later. I saw dude on the side of the road and after pulling out, flipped a U, and gave him two slices. When I walked up, I saw there was more people sitting on the side of the road about fifty feet behind him. I'm pretty sure they were with him, and he was the one holding the sign for the 'group' I guess. Like I said I didn't see em until I had already handed dude some pizza.

He just said a pretty dry, 'thanks', and then I walked away. I didn't do it to get some positive reinforcement, but it got me thinking about a few things...

Should I have given this guy and his folks like a full pizza? It's only five bucks, and really in the grand scheme of things, what's five bucks to an average single guy. I guess it just got me thinking about the philosophy of everything, do we ignore people like this most of the time because there's a pessimistic but rational part of our brain that says these folks are gonna use drugs and are beyond our help? Like in some way, shape, or form, they're stiffing us? Or does our pessimistic view come from some deep seeded greed to hoard our own money and supplies, even if it is a pretty insufficient amount. Like basically strangling our own empathy.

I don't know, it's not a big deal, but it got me thinking... what should I have done? Rationally, philosophically, spiritually... like all together?

You shouldn't have given him pizza, but taught him HOW to make pizza.

You'd've fed him for life.

Wut? How's he gonna buy drugs with 2 slices of pizza?

You should have fought him for the pizza, make him earn it y'know.

I don't have a solid philosophy on it, I just give when I'm in the mood, don't when I'm not.

You should speak to him. Not only can you learn about his motives, or why he's there, but we tend to treat homeless people like they aren't actual people, like they aren't lonely or capable of having a normal conversation.

And if I had so few prospects in life, I'd get high as shit as often as possible.

I don't have a solid philosophy on it, I just give when I'm in the mood, don't when I'm not.

Same, maybe this is all there is to it.

You should speak to him. Not only can you learn about his motives, or why he's there, but we tend to treat homeless people like they aren't actual people, like they aren't lonely or capable of having a normal conversation.

That's a good take on it. I didn't have the time to, but what you're saying makes sense.

You shouldn't have given him pizza, but taught him HOW to make pizza.

You'd've fed him for life.

Nice. Should have taught him to fish with pizza as bait to kidnap Italians to make pizza for him. Then use the pizza to get other homeless people to follow the word of homeless guy.

"This is the body of homeless guy. The pizza sauce is my blood. The crust is that really gross stuff you get in the corners of your mouth when you are really dehydrated. Whosoever should eat said pizza shall have diarrhea everlasting Amen"

That's a good take on it. I didn't have the time to, but what you're saying makes sense.

Don't get me wrong, you did a cool thing. You can't give to, or stop and speak to everyone on the street.

Same.

I'm a sucker whenever I see a street musician, though. Can't remember the last time I walked by one of them and not thrown a little something their way.

You're an awesome guy, who doesn't love pizza? Homeless dude should have been more stoked to get free pizza, I'm always stoked when I get free pizza. Man if someone just handed me pizza I'd be so happy. Homeless people are so spoiled these days

What if he was lactose intolerant? you inconsiderate asshole ts

I gave a sign guy a burrito once. He wasn't dry like your sign guy. He was fucking grateful. Gave him a cigarette too.

I would've beat his ass, banged his ol lady, and laughed all the way to the bank.

That, or just given him some pizza and called it a day.

I feel like you could have gotten a blowjob if you played your cards right.

You guys are horrible people. You really are. I love it.

Back