I gave some pizza to a homeless guy

My friends and I once gave a homeless guy almost $20 because he was able to recite lines from Ulysses. Dude earned every penny.

It is more blessed to give than to receive.

Whoever is generous to the poor lends to the Lord, and he will repay him for his deed.

Give to the one who begs from you, and do not refuse the one who would borrow from you.

It is more blessed to give than to receive.

Whoever is generous to the poor lends to the Lord, and he will repay him for his deed.

Give to the one who begs from you, and do not refuse the one who would borrow from you.

God is a superstition; you are a false prophet.

There is this hysteria in my town over pan handlers lately. Supposedly there is a man and woman who drive a decent car, have a decent home, etc who beg by the highway exit ramps every day - they drive their and spend their "work day" asking for handouts. And have simply told people they do it because they make more money that way then if they were working. So they claim to be homeless when they actually are not, and I've heard of them turning down food/water offers while begging.

There have also been instances of people freaking out because they've been approached at gas stations at night while they're alone by people asking for money and feared for their safety.

So the result of this is a new law... $90 fine for illegally panhandling. Good luck collecting that money! Though I guess that's not really the purpose of the law.

I'm not someone who thinks the poor people are the problem lawmakers should be focusing on, and I do think wealth distribution and minimum wages that people cannot live on are bigger problems then people on welfare, etc. However, I do take issue with people misrepresenting themselves like this.

I'm not homeless. I was just tired, hungry and could use some help. What I meant was, give me drugs.

I give money to the homeless when I have cash on me, which isn't often.

Thanks for the pizza. Didn't know you were on sherdog too, bruh.

There is this hysteria in my town over pan handlers lately. Supposedly there is a man and woman who drive a decent car, have a decent home, etc who beg by the highway exit ramps every day - they drive their and spend their "work day" asking for handouts. And have simply told people they do it because they make more money that way then if they were working. So they claim to be homeless when they actually are not, and I've heard of them turning down food/water offers while begging.

There have also been instances of people freaking out because they've been approached at gas stations at night while they're alone by people asking for money and feared for their safety.

So the result of this is a new law... $90 fine for illegally panhandling. Good luck collecting that money! Though I guess that's not really the purpose of the law.

I'm not someone who thinks the poor people are the problem lawmakers should be focusing on, and I do think wealth distribution and minimum wages that people cannot live on are bigger problems then people on welfare, etc. However, I do take issue with people misrepresenting themselves like this.

this is also the case in toronto. There have been some known cases of career pan handlers.

Great thread anyways.

I have a downtown condo and I am in this position all the time. Anytime I walk my dog I see some homeless people near park benches or in alleys. I find many of them have a fake story of how they need a bus ticket or something. I find there are so many soup kitchens in the area that they are never in dire need of food. I gave one dude who was my size some old clothes, he wasn't too pleased, "Where am I supposed to put these"

I am pretty conflicted because there is also a liquor store I walk to which is very close to a homeless shelter, and every month on the first and last days, I see those same homeless people in there spending their assistance or disability cheques.

I usually give generously when I can but I have some ground rules. If someone approaches me aggressively, talks to my girl friend or touches me, I let them know thats not cool.

One time I was in my car which was parked on the street and a homeless guy banged on my window, I was so startled that I kind of snapped. Turned out he just wanted money. I refused because I am a moody bitch.

Really interesting discussion, I like many others don't have a set philosophy on giving. I usually do it but I never feel good about it.

this is also the case in toronto. There have been some known cases of career pan handlers.

Yea, I remember actually giving a couple bucks to this lady outside the Eaton Centre, who it later turned out drove her Jetta downtown everyday to work her shift, then drive home to a nice house on the mountain in Hamilton with her husband who was an accountant or some shit. People have no shame.

Edit: read your other post, to sort of expand on your point about so many soup kitchens that they aren't starving, they actually have vans that drive around and give food and bottles of water and stuff like that to all these parasites. I remember working out in the hot sun and seeing that, wishing they would give me a cold bottle of water, but no fuck that I shouldn't be rewarded for contributing to society.

All the money you give them is going to drugs and booze. Trust me, we have such a safety net here in Toronto, literally every single person out there begging for your money is a hustler. They're doing it because it's easier than working a job and they can make pretty good money, because this city is full of enablers. Just remember, they have no gratitude or respect for you, just contempt. You're nothing more than a mark to them.

Last edited:
Yea, I remember actually giving a couple bucks to this lady outside the Eaton Centre, who it later turned out drove her Jetta downtown everyday to work her shift, then drive home to a nice house on the mountain in Hamilton with her husband who was an accountant or some shit. People have no shame.

was that the woman who nailed down this mentally disabled act she would put on?

i would have given them applications to the local mcdonalds. giving free handouts only reinforces their beggary.

i would have given them applications to the local mcdonalds. giving free handouts only reinforces their beggary.

I wish, I just feel some weird guilt when I see people that hard up. Even as a first generation Canadian whose family came here with nothing, we never had it bad.

I wish, I just feel some weird guilt when I see people that hard up. Even as a first generation Canadian whose family came here with nothing, we never had it bad.

yeah, i know what you mean. i live in san francisco, so i see this all the time. i get sick of getting asked for change and cigarettes, and then getting a, "fuck you" if i tell them no.

me and my old boss gave a reletively full platter of subway sandwiches to a homeless guy once. He had one of the those sad story signs like "car broke down, need money to get wife and kids home." We pulled over and presented the subs, he was like, well thanks but my wife and...then we said do you want the subs or not? He took them.

you gave a homeless a slice of pizza and still thinking what you should have done differently ? what's the big deal here ?

yeah, i know what you mean. i live in san francisco, so i see this all the time. i get sick of getting asked for change and cigarettes, and then getting a, "fuck you" if i tell them no.

Yeah, I get that here in Seattle all the time. I see the same people, day in and day out, just sitting in the same place. It is the definition of insanity. They yell at me if I don't give, but there is just too many to help.

Back