How well does Ilia does against Islam?

TerraRayzing

Little eagle soars again
@Brown
Reaction score
Saw a lot of dicussion about this online so I'm curious. Most people point to the first Volk fight to show that Ilia can compete with him and catch him. Ilia is really fucking good, definitely on par with Islam when it comes to skill but the size advantage might be against him. Islam is massive and I dunno if Ilia can hold Islam off like Volk did.
Not to mention, Islam was compromised in the first Volk fight, with the weight cut and hydration.
Also I'm curious, who do you think is a more dangerous/complete striker between Topuria and Dustin?

It would be an excellent matchup in terms of seeing two elite complete MMA fighters going at it, but useless in terms of legacy for Islam and the LW division.

Islam is the better grappler and kickboxer, while Ilia is a better boxer with better ringcraft. Makhachev is going to be bigger and might be stronger.

If the match happens, Ilia is going to be going in with nothing to lose since it will be a free TS and everything to gain which I think mentally gives him an edge.

Islam will be coming in having to defend his title with no positive outcomes besides a W on his record which he can get from any of the current crop of LWs (if he gets past Arman), Ilia isn't one of the greats like Volk just yet (although he has a great start) so Makhachev has nothing to gain and everything to lose.

If Ilia takes time to bulk like Volk did, I think I see this going 60/40 Islam due to his grappling, kickboxing, and distance management.

Islam would dominate him on the ground and would be a big problem for him on the feet as well with his Thai clinch and left head kick

Then after Islam wins, the fans who said Ilia would KO him then begin to say “Islam only fights midgets that are way smaller than him he’s only fought one lw he’s garbage”

It would be fun, for sure. And I think Islam would actually try to make it a grappling match, which I think he has the edge in, but would be really fun nonetheless. Volk and Max both chose/"had to" stand and bang with Topu, whereas Islam would imo have more of an advantage taking him down. Plus, Islam tends to have a pretty good fight IQ.

p.s. I'd love to see Topuria vs Poirier, but it doesn't make sense and instead of fireworks Topuria would go back to being a grappler ;)

It would be an excellent matchup in terms of seeing two elite complete MMA fighters going at it, but useless in terms of legacy for Islam and the LW division.

Islam is the better grappler and kickboxer, while Ilia is a better boxer with better ringcraft. Makhachev is going to be bigger and might be stronger.

If the match happens, Ilia is going to be going in with nothing to lose since it will be a free TS and everything to gain which I think mentally gives him an edge.

Islam will be coming in having to defend his title with no positive outcomes besides a W on his record which he can get from any of the current crop of LWs (if he gets past Arman), Ilia isn't one of the greats like Volk just yet (although he has a great start) so Makhachev has nothing to gain and everything to lose.

If Ilia takes time to bulk like Volk did, I think I see this going 60/40 Islam due to his grappling, kickboxing, and distance management.
Boy cookin'

<DCWhoa>

Islam would dominate him on the ground and would be a big problem for him on the feet as well with his Thai clinch and left head kick

Then after Islam wins, the fans who said Ilia would KO him then begin to say “Islam only fights midgets that are way smaller than him he’s only fought one lw he’s garbage”
You dropped this 👑

He should stay out of the lightweight division and clean out FW.

Saw a lot of dicussion about this online so I'm curious. Most people point to the first Volk fight to show that Ilia can compete with him and catch him. Ilia is really fucking good, definitely on par with Islam when it comes to skill but the size advantage might be against him. Islam is massive and I dunno if Ilia can hold Islam off like Volk did.
Not to mention, Islam was compromised in the first Volk fight, with the weight cut and hydration.
Also I'm curious, who do you think is a more dangerous/complete striker between Topuria and Dustin?

How many threads do we need about this? I give Ilia a 50/50 shot of just getting through Evloev and Lopes. He beat the two greats at the back end of their careers, now he's gotta fight surging, deserved prospects...something Volk never did.

I think he KOs him first round. If he doesnt, then Oh boy.

Top would bodybag Islam within 2.5 rounds.

That's just the world we live in now.

Volk is extremely strong, very big back, and thick legs.
When it comes to boxing, ilia is way too good, but Islam will keep distance with jabs and kicks, then out wrestle him and choke him out.
So ilia vs Islam is a great fight but i think its a 70/30 for Islam.

Something I always say for perspective is that Ilia and Arman are the same height. Ilia has to pack on some muscle to nullify Islam's wrestling.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zippythepinhead
Back