How to make friends/go out when you are older

IMO you have to find activities outside your house that you actually enjoy.

I think that taking classes of something you like (language, sports, cooking, acting, etc) is great when you get older.
You should be able to meet people with the same insterest as you in a more relaxed enviroment. Also you do something good for yourself.

Good luck brother.

Sports clubs for starters. Cooking classes?

Also i noticed prison is a good place to make friends.

Local amateur sports are a great resource.

Go hang out at your local senior center.

Print up a bunch of cards with your information, picture and phone number then get a minivan full of Mexicans to stand on street corners handing out the cards.
Bam! New friends!

How do you make friends when you don't know anyone and go out when you are by yourself? Where do you start?
It's extremely hard to make friends as you get older. If you dont make close friendships by your 20s you won't. Ive yet to see anyone in their late 30s or early 40s make new friends. People around that age have their own friends so they are set in their ways and dont have time to start new friendships. Its the honest truth.

People in their 40s are damaged and many times they dont trust or have no more emotions, they are spent, they already experienced life and going out in their 20s and they wont have that same going out fun times like they used too

When people are older they not as open to new interactions. Its why they say as you get older you become more conservative.

I don't have many friends as over my lifetime i've moved country so many times. So in my teens, twenties, thirties & early forties i left behind the friends i had at those times & it's difficult to replace them.
The type of friends i'd really like to find are ones like the person in my avatar, she definitely looks friendly.[i'd pay $500 for her friendship!]

I would start with joining a sporting club for sure, easiest way.

As I get older, I find myself having an increasingly strict filter when it comes to whom I call my friends. I haven't made a new friend in awhile and filtered out former friends.

I'm an introvert so I find it easiest to meet people at work. I'm there most of my life anyway.

<2>

I moved a year ago and have been at my new job jist about a year now. Made one friend, and one friend/potential girlfriend. Sigh.

<{hughesimpress}>

What are you complaining about, man? That's not bad for someone that's an introvert. If you keep up at the same rate of two people a year you'll be able to throw a hell of a party in no time as long as your friends bring some of their other friends. It's all exponential.
So, cheer up. :D You're doing just fine.

It's extremely hard to make friends as you get older. If you dont make close friendships by your 20s you won't. Ive yet to see anyone in their late 30s or early 40s make new friends. People around that age have their own friends so they are set in their ways and dont have time to start new friendships. Its the honest truth.

People in their 40s are damaged and many times they dont trust or have no more emotions, they are spent, they already experienced life and going out in their 20s and they wont have that same going out fun times like they used too

When people are older they not as open to new interactions. Its why they say as you get older you become more conservative.

Accurate in many respects but not a hard & fast rule.
My wife & I have only been living in Arizona for four weeks now & we've made acquaintances with a few nice people just by going on walks in our new neighborhood every night. A couple of whom have invited us to stop over some time. Of course, it helps that my wife is naturally friendly & outgoing. So, she strikes up conversations with random people all the time. LOL.
When & if we take anyone up on their invitations though will depend on if we feel like going out to socialize. She's more open to it than I am as I like to take a while to scope people out before just popping by. we definitely don't want any awkward invitations to join the local swingers group or anything like that. LOL. That's definitely not our scene.
Seriously though, it is possible to make new friends as you get older but it is more difficult. And, I find that the friendships aren't as deep as the friendships that you made when you were younger.

Im at a point where I don't want friends, and when I meet new people, even if I like them, I wont hang out with them. Ill talk to you at work, but thats it
That's kinda where I'm at. Iv have a small group of friends that I want to keep but I don't really need new ones. I don't have enough time to hang out with my existing friends so adding more would be just be too hard right now. Maybe when I'm old and my kids moved out...

How do you make friends when you don't know anyone and go out when you are by yourself? Where do you start?

Depends on where you live. Meetup.com is pretty good for finding people with similar interests. I've made a few friends just by going into a bar during a UFC and if you see someone sitting alone strike up a conversation.

Protips for @JustOnce

- go to live music venues but not the type that are so loud you cannot talk to anyone. It is far less awkward to be by yourself enjoying a good band with a cocktail and to then strike up conversations with others nearby such as 'great set' (the music, not the girls boobs) and have things flow from there

- go to a true cocktail, mixology bar and sit at the bar and enjoy a few of the bartenders choice drinks and use that to chat to others nearby. Again far less awkward if you get less chatty people around you.

The key is to avoid the areas where if you get shot down in trying to establish talk, you are not standing there alone and feeling really exposed and awkward.

I have met more girls at Jazz bars, piano bars, live music venues in hotel lobbies, etc, than anywhere else when traveling. It is so easy to say 'what a great set' (again the music and not her boobs) and let conversation flow or not from that. If it does not, fine, go back to listening to the music and move to another area and try again. Works same if you are just trying to chat with a dude to make a bud for the night.

1. Go to a sports bar
  2. Watch the screens
  3. Agree with what people are saying "ridiculous ref, oh come on!" Or "fantastic player, [name] is" etc
  4. When you finish your drink, ask your new acquaintance(s) what they are drinking and get them one while you're up there
  5. Now you appear like a normal human and names will be exchanged. Next time maybe even numbers. Then who knows what might happen the 3rd time you bump into each other at the bar...
<Goldie11>

Or this if sports are more your thing as it is the same rationale as in my post above.

I just hate sitting in bars watching sports. Love to see any sport live but never got into the endless hours of sitting at a bar watching a game, other than MMA PPV's for a period of time.

The funny thing is that you run into the opposite problem when you are married with kids. Between work stuff, the kids activities, and our hobbies, we end up meeting a lot of people. We've got parents of kids wanting our kids to have play dates, people I meet wanting to go golf sometime, parents we share common interests with that want to hang out sometime, lunch/dinner with work contacts, etc. It's overwhelming.

Back