• Over 10

Votes: 9 10.5%

• Total voters

Davidjacksonjones

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Just curious how many true friends everyone here has

Definition of true friends vary a lot depending on who you ask, but for the purpose of this thread

The following do NOT count as true friends
-Family members, spouses. So that includes parents, cousins, wives, husbands, children etc. I know they can be considered true friends but for this poll i count them as family rather than friends
-Co-workers - Unless you spend time with them a lot and talk to them outside of work settings, i treat them as co-workers
-Acquaintances - Someone you might know, shake hands with, and exchange small talk with if you bump into them is more of an acquaintance than true friend
-Online friends you have never met irl

True friends that are to be included in your poll choice are
-People you have known for a decent period of time, at least a few months, preferably years
-People that like you and you like them back and talk regularly
-People you spend time with frequently, daily, weekly, monthly at least. Or every few months if they live far away
-People you can ring up to talk or hang out without it feeling awkward

How many true friends do you have that tick at least most of the below criteria?

Sorry I voted after reading just the title. I only have one. but I just checked after scrolling down through 10 ads that there's 1443 people online so if we can be friends and they can be friends EVERYONE can be friends.

Honestly zero. I have good friends that I see at least a few times a year for birthdays, random trips we organize or festivals and gigs but no one I really talk to regularly or have a close relationship with.

Used to have a true friend but no longer speak to him. Haven’t replaced him with anyone since.

EDIT: actually by your criteria, it’s more than 10 (mainly the same HS and bender crew from 10 years ago lol)

Last edited:
Honestly zero. I have good friends that I see at least a few times a year for birthdays, random trips we organize or festivals and gigs but no one I really talk to regularly or have a close relationship with.

Used to have a true friend but no longer speak to him. Haven’t replaced him with anyone since.
Truly sorry that you have no close friends you regularly spend time with. There was a period where I really had no one during my first years at Uni, my best friend was locked up, and all my close high school friends went to different universities, and it as a lonely terrible experience.

You say you have a few good friends you see a few times a year. Do they live far away from you? Is there any chance you can spend more time with them frequently? Or do they live too far away?

Hope you find some good friends soon

Truly sorry that you have no close friends you regularly spend time with. There was a period where I really had no one during my first years at Uni, my best friend was locked up, and all my close high school friends went to different universities, and it as a lonely terrible experience.

You say you have a few good friends you see a few times a year. Do they live far away from you? Is there any chance you can spend more time with them frequently? Or do they live too far away?

Hope you find some good friends soon

Thanks man. Much appreciated. Yes, we catch up a few times a year. Most of them are about an hour away so not too bad, a few have moved to the other side of the world (visited them recently).

If anything, I should be more proactive in asking to catch up. Maybe that’s my New Years resolution haha.

I realized that some people that I would've considered a friend aren't and some that I would think just spoke to me in passing are what you might consider real friends, sometimes sharing your pain and joy brings you closer to some unexpected new people and it's these people that have opened my eyes to new aspects.

Thanks man. Much appreciated. Yes, we catch up a few times a year. Most of them are about an hour away so not too bad, a few have moved to the other side of the world (visited them recently).

If anything, I should be more proactive in asking to catch up. Maybe that’s my New Years resolution haha.
Definitely being proactive is good. I lost many good friends, or drifted apart from them because i never took the initiative to catch up. I was always relying on them to ask, and eventually we just stopped and i regret those

Man, this hits close to home. That’s literally where I’m at right now. I will 100% be taking your words of wisdom and not let people drift away.

Please remember friendship is a 2 way street but is sometimes only reciprocal over spans of time.

Sometimes it takes years to get a payback on what you give.

There are four or five people that I consider true friends from when I was younger but we don't need to talk regularly. We've all been married and had families for a long time, and also live in different places/countries. I've gone over ten years without talking to or seeing a few of them and when we finally met in person again it was like no time had passed.

There are four or five people that I consider true friends from when I was younger but we don't need to talk regularly. We've all been married and had families for a long time, and also live in different places/countries. I've gone over ten years without talking to or seeing a few of them and when we finally met in person again it was like no time had passed.
Wow 10 years is a very long time. I have quite a handful of friends I haven't spoken to for over 5 years but I'm sure if we ever crossed path it would feel like it was just yesterday

I have about 3-5 people that I can pick up where I left off and talk to them regardless of time passed, or hang out but at this point we all have very separate lives and often go long times without seeing eachother.

3 for me. It would have been 4 but he moved to Toronto and no fall outs but hard to keep in touch and we became distant.

Back