How to Get a Hernia with Daniel, Matt, and Calen.

GPP=General physical preperdness (dont know if i spelled it right)

speaking of job-interviews. I hate em. You have to put on a fake smile and positive attitude. And they always keeps pushing you like "why do you wanna have this job" when you dont actually give a damn and just wanna have any kind of job to put some food on the table.

And yeah, no disrespect to poo and 386 about me kissing Hulks ass. Its just that the Hulkster is the one who posts the most in the forum-threads...

Rest Day 2-16-06

I steered clear of the gym today. I'm saving up for a PR squat workout tomorrow.

I also got a slightly belated Valentine's Day package from my girlfriend this morning. She sent me a card and a big box of stuff she knows I like to eat. It felt like Christmas. The only problem, though, was that I got it right before my American Literature class started so I had to tote this big cardboard box into class with me. I just sat it down by my desk, whipped out a bag of beef jerky, and didn't think much of it.

So I was munching away and reading last night's assignment in the ten minutes before class started when this girl came in and sat by me (the desks are in a circle). She was giving me all kinda sideways glances as I tore that shit up. Then she asks, "Are you going to eat that whole bag?"

I was like, "Ummm... do you want some?" I extended a piece of meat in her direction. Her nose kind of crinkled, and she was all like, "Do you know how much sodium is in that?" In response, I pulled out my 1 liter water bottle from my backpack. I couldn't believe that girl doubted that I am--at all times of the day or night--ready and prepared to down some jerky.

But, alas, I had finished all of it's salty goodness before class started. We were talking about The Fall of the House of Usher or something, and I started to get hungry again. So, about fifteen minutes into the discussion, I reached back and began rummaging through the box. I snagged a nice big bag of trail mix. All I did was open it up and put it on my desk, but the girl beside me looked at me like I had just clubbed her baby brother to death. She whispered incredulously, "Are you not full?!" I offered her some trail mix. She turned back towards the teacher, and everything was going fine until I accidentally knocked my bag off the desk. Then suddenly I was chilling with a nice, thick sprinkling of peanuts and raisins and chocolate pieces at my feet.

I let it lie there for a while, but then I felt kind of stupid everytime I had something to say and the class looked over my way. I could tell that they were just kind of pretending I hadn't actually spilled my trail mix all over the place. So I began to concoct a masterful plan: bit by bit, when I wasn't making brilliant, incisive comments and no one was looking, I started slying leaning forward and gathering up all the fallen pieces. I did it one-handed, too, so I could remain more or less erect and face the class with a look on my face that said, "Nothing going on here but intent listening and analysis!." The problem was, though, that I wasn't in reach of a trashcan so soon I was sitting there with a handful of trail mix and carpet lint trying to figure out what to do with it. Then they chocolate start melting and seeping through my fingers and crap. The girl beside me started giving me even more bewildered looks, the teacher and classmates started to notice, and I just did my best to carry on debating the original intent of Edgar Allen Poe's mise en abyme on page 982 with a left hand full of nutty, dirty, drooping shit that was oozing out onto my desk. Forty five minutes later, I finally got to the bathroom to wash up.

Throughout the whole ordeal, no one ever actually addressed my snack debacle. I think these kids are scared of me. I have to admit, though, when we argue in class about stuff, it's like they're moving in slow motion.

I am going to post my logs in here also because I work out in "The Basement". I am not the rookie though. I am the friend that works out once a month. I am a little disappointed Calen left me out of this but I can understand why. I am trying to change my ways though. I started taking martial arts now so I had to change my lifting days and stuff. My specs are.......
Started Lifting: No clue....on and off for a little while but I was uneducated in the ways of pumping iron
Height: 5'11"
Weight: 200lbs

My PR's on the big three:
Bench: 185~ .....haven't maxxed in a while still probably pretty crappy though
DeadLift: 355 .....did this 2 weeks ago, tried to up it a week ago and failed, had a bad day
Squat: 275 .....did this today

Feb 16th, 2006
Squat and stuff

Squat
Formx5 was making sure I was doing everything properly
135x2
225x1
245x1 ripped my boxers on this one
275x1
295x0 275 seemed easy so I wanted to bump it up but bad idea
285x0 then I couldn't get this

Overhead Squat
95x2 then fall over almost
75x6 this hurts my left shoulder area
65x10 didn't hurt as bad
I didn't do anymore because I can't tell if I am being a sissy or listening to my body correctly.

Lunges
35's x20
35's x20
40's x20

I was going to work out by myself but I told 386 I was squatting and he wanted to come and watch...so poo came as well. I am glad they came because I would of died if they didn't. Daniel gave me some PF Flyers also, I think they were supposed to be HULK's though.

Squat 2-17-06

Squat

235x5
245x3
250x3
225x4

Full Squats

I temporarily lost control of the squat rack so I had to clean, press, and lower the 135 into place.

135x10
155x10

Romanian Deadlifts

225x7
245x7
255x7
275x4

I rocked this workout. I spent time screwing my head on before I went into the gym; I spent time warming up; and I spent time mentally drilling my form. Then, I slapped the bar on and went to town. I kept my body's movement's on lockdown. I still have some shakiness in the knees, and I still drift forward coming out of the hole when I start getting tired. But I will start progressing in my numbers and leave these novice weights behind. Come summer, I'll be squatting three plates for reps.

I also kept it short and heavy (for me at least). Those long sets with the ass to grass depth felt like punishment, but I kept at it and it feels like it payed off. My hams and my butt hurt and I don't feel a thing in my quads. I consider that a good sign.

Next week will be a relaxed week. I'm thinking I'll have maybe one serious workout with my sandbag and some random grip/core stuff. I'll work on the peripheral stuff, and stay away from the heavy iron. Then I'll come back and start shooting for PR's in my bench.

I will have a Wilks of 300 by the end of April, suckaz. Watch out.

Hulk, my man, that "Trail Mix Story" had me cracking up, seriously. Well done!!

HULKAMANIA said:
Rest Day 2-16-06

I steered clear of the gym today. I'm saving up for a PR squat workout tomorrow.

I also got a slightly belated Valentine's Day package from my girlfriend this morning. She sent me a card and a big box of stuff she knows I like to eat. It felt like Christmas. The only problem, though, was that I got it right before my American Literature class started so I had to tote this big cardboard box into class with me. I just sat it down by my desk, whipped out a bag of beef jerky, and didn't think much of it.

So I was munching away and reading last night's assignment in the ten minutes before class started when this girl came in and sat by me (the desks are in a circle). She was giving me all kinda sideways glances as I tore that shit up. Then she asks, "Are you going to eat that whole bag?"

I was like, "Ummm... do you want some?" I extended a piece of meat in her direction. Her nose kind of crinkled, and she was all like, "Do you know how much sodium is in that?" In response, I pulled out my 1 liter water bottle from my backpack. I couldn't believe that girl doubted that I am--at all times of the day or night--ready and prepared to down some jerky.

But, alas, I had finished all of it's salty goodness before class started. We were talking about The Fall of the House of Usher or something, and I started to get hungry again. So, about fifteen minutes into the discussion, I reached back and began rummaging through the box. I snagged a nice big bag of trail mix. All I did was open it up and put it on my desk, but the girl beside me looked at me like I had just clubbed her baby brother to death. She whispered incredulously, "Are you not full?!" I offered her some trail mix. She turned back towards the teacher, and everything was going fine until I accidentally knocked my bag off the desk. Then suddenly I was chilling with a nice, thick sprinkling of peanuts and raisins and chocolate pieces at my feet.

I let it lie there for a while, but then I felt kind of stupid everytime I had something to say and the class looked over my way. I could tell that they were just kind of pretending I hadn't actually spilled my trail mix all over the place. So I began to concoct a masterful plan: bit by bit, when I wasn't making brilliant, incisive comments and no one was looking, I started slying leaning forward and gathering up all the fallen pieces. I did it one-handed, too, so I could remain more or less erect and face the class with a look on my face that said, "Nothing going on here but intent listening and analysis!." The problem was, though, that I wasn't in reach of a trashcan so soon I was sitting there with a handful of trail mix and carpet lint trying to figure out what to do with it. Then they chocolate start melting and seeping through my fingers and crap. The girl beside me started giving me even more bewildered looks, the teacher and classmates started to notice, and I just did my best to carry on debating the original intent of Edgar Allen Poe's mise en abyme on page 982 with a left hand full of nutty, dirty, drooping shit that was oozing out onto my desk. Forty five minutes later, I finally got to the bathroom to wash up.

Throughout the whole ordeal, no one ever actually addressed my snack debacle. I think these kids are scared of me. I have to admit, though, when we argue in class about stuff, it's like they're moving in slow motion.
lol Great story. Bewildered looks are great.Keep'em guessing. Have you taken any creative writing classes?

I took a class on poetry once; I still can't pull it off, though.

As far as this forum is concerned, I never have much spare time on my hands to type my entries out, but I still value them as writing practice. I always make an attempt to accurately communicate my thoughts here, but it's easy for me to miss that boat so these regular updates keep me on my toes. I enjoy this log a lot too, though; it's not a chore. I enjoy trying to tell stories well--even when my attempts are amateur. I suppose it's the English major in me.

I also like the fact that it helps me keep tabs on 386 and poo. Sometime over the Christmas break--perhaps during our triple PR deadlift session--the iron bonded us together. We're going to work at Ridgecrest Summer Camp together this year, and we decided that we're all going to wear PF Flyers and throw young children into the lake with dizzying force and vigor. I like to hear how they're preparing for such a summer of ownage.

I really am surprised that other people read this thing, though.

OHP Day 2-18-06

I woke up early this morning for a shift at Starbucks. I'm all over that job; I just can't wait for the training to be over so I can stop coming in every single day. Anyway, I left Starbucks, ate some lunch at the cafeteria, went back to Starbucks for a cafe au lait, and then busted up into that empty, Saturday afternoon gym with some good old fashioned focus. My shoulders are weak, but they won't be for long.

Standing Barbell OHP

135x6
155x5
165x4

I didn't keep strict form on the 3rd or the 4th rep of the 165 so I switched into some push press action.

165x4
185x3
135x7

I missed an attempt at 205x1 after my 185 set. When I come back to this after my next squat day, I'm going to start with the push press and see if I can't get that beyontch to lockout a time or two.

Front Raises

20x10 (DB)
45x14 (Plate)
55x8 (DB held in both hands)
25x8 (DB)

These were by no means strict, but I am waging a war here on my shoulders--not taking my pump to the max.

Rotators

Face Pulls

110x10
120x12
120x10

Inclined Bench

135x10
145x10
145x7

I focused on tightening my body beneath the weight of the bar. I felt really solid, and I controlled the bar aggressively throughout the entire ROM. Keeping the upper back tight really pays off.

I siezed the fucking day up in the gym this afternoon. Usually, my Saturday workouts aren't much to speak of, but I today was different. It might have been the coffee talking, but I felt tireless. I came out swinging on every set. I also talked to some guy about some place that teaches BJJ and boxing. I figure that I'm seriously going to look into that. If my gig at Starbucks doesn't conflict with the class times, it will definitely allow me to afford it. It could be good times.

The deadest lift 02-18-2006

Yesterday was supposed to be "heavy deadlift" day but we sure didn't workout. I haven't seen Rookie as long as I can remember really and I wasn't down for a lonely heavy day so I went home and went to sleep. But anyways, today we made it up. We came in pumped and ready to work with the world winterized around us.

We put on some Boys Night Out "Make Yourself Sick" and warmed up and up and up. At first I thought we were going to do like some heavy 3-5 reps of 80% or really heavy deads, but instead we did as heavy singles as we could manage... to build strength but not mass, Carnal style.

Deadlift

up to... 385

That +30 on my PR! For two minutes, once again, poo and I had the same PR or whatever. It was a grand time. Whenever I heavy deadlift, if I can't get the bar off the ground then I can't do it. But if I can get it an inch off the ground then I can lock out. But anyways, I tried 395 and the first time it didn't budge. I knew I had it in me, so on the second try I got it off the ground... but get this: I started pulling and it only came up part way and was stuck somewhere in my thigh and I felt like I was living a bad Diesel Weasel video or something. (Sorry, I didn't mean to diss but I saw this video and he pulled and struggled with the bar at the same place for like thirty seconds and it seemed to be a fruitless battle at that point.) When I realized I was living a bad video, I let off and didn't struggle because I could feel the failure. I gave it a third try, but screw that crap. I'll get it next time, along with 405.

Bent Over Rows

90x10x3

I did 105 last time I did these, but they were sloppy as the earth is dirty, so I just did whatever was already on the easy curl bar. Anyways it was okay and I could do it a lot better.

Good Mornings

135x7x3

These were okay, but I'm still kinda questining my form as being good or bad.

Hise Shrugs

This was something new. So I only did one set of 20 with a "low" weight but they worked a lot and killed my bals.

135x20

And that was that.

poo and I decided to not quit smoking until we deadlifted 405.

The fact that u guys listen to Boys night out is just disappointing.

The sheer size of the embarassment I feel for you guys.

I'm gonna go cry now.

Yeah, we would be able to lift more if we listened to Extol or something. What would you reccomend to listen to? I don't want make this a big deal... but just what would you suggest?

Have you ever heard the "Make Yourself Sick" album? It rocks! "Trainwreck" is just that, though. And they are balls live. But they sure left a good footprint with their good album.

I don't know

Many of the dominantly Death Metal influenced music or Death Metal don't pump me up too much. It's too technical or inhuman to get pumped up to for me. I listen to it cause its good stuff but it doesnt pump me up.

Off the top of my head.

Helmet
Pantera(Cowboys from Hell and Vulgar display of Power)
Cult
Lamb of God
Fear Factory
Hatebreed
Some good R%B songs.

Go heavier on your rows! Rowing 90 lbs while DLing 385 lbs ?!

Not to get off track again Hulk from the training, but poetry is the highest form of writing...if you can write poetry you can write all other forms of writing such as nonfiction, news, fiction...etc...etc...

...old Cult is awesome Ted P. I'm seeing them in concert next month.

graedy said:
Go heavier on your rows! Rowing 90 lbs while DLing 385 lbs ?!

I know it's weak. When doing correct BORs I should be bringing the bar to touch my lower chest, right? With the weight, this allowed me to do the full range of motion (if my thinking is correct) nine or ten of the times. I know I need to speed these up so I can get them all the way up, though. Definitely note of my favorite or best excercises.

PariahCarey said:
Not to get off track again Hulk from the training, but poetry is the highest form of writing...if you can write poetry you can write all other forms of writing such as nonfiction, news, fiction...etc...etc...

...old Cult is awesome Ted P. I'm seeing them in concert next month.
YEa

I have some of their CDs although I use an Ipod.

I love listening to their more popular songs while working out. It's beautiful.

Although Rise has tickled my fancy. That's an awesome song.

Back